Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Urgent Renwal of PR, Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urgent Renwal of PR, Help
    Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 11:25pm
I have applied for urgent renewal with travel ticket and proof of payment included. 
I have only given them about 23 days for processing because I have been invited to a wedding last minute.

They have received it and posted already that application is in " process." 
But, it has been in process for over a week with no further information.

I called CIC  twice. The firs time, an agent said your file is probably gonna be transferred to your local office.
The second agent said that, she thinks that my application is pre-approved but it will take four weeks.
Both agents were vague and they didn't tell me upfront whether the card has been approved or the file is transferred to local office, which is not a good thing, from what I have been reading on the forums.

Can anybody tell me if " in process" for over a week, means most defintely that they will transfer it for further investigation to my local office?
How often they update that information on line?
How come agents are not straighforward with their answers?
Over all, the fact that it has not been approved almost on the spot, does tha mean that I have to forget about the wedding and now, worry about further dealing with local office which will get ugly and long??
Please, if anybody can list their time lines for urgent processing and what " in process" in means and how soon they will change/update the status with urgent cases???
Any feedback, any explanation and time lines from other urgent cases will help me, since the agent are not helping me on the phone.

Thanks for your replies

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:18am
If you have no issues with being in compliance with the Residency Obligation, should be no problem, but they tend to take their time it appears.

If you have been outside Canada more than in Canada, that is, if you were cutting the Residency Obligation close (not sure what "close" is, though less than 900 days in five years is, perhaps close, since 912 days in five years is less than half, and less than half might raise questions, in most people's minds anyway, about whether you really have set up residing in Canada).

If you were cutting it real close, like less than 800 days, making an urgent application, it seems to me, might raise a red flag . . . after all, if someone that close to being in breach of the residency obligation goes abroad it is likely they will be in breach of the obligation in the not so distant future.

Personally I do not know much about the time line for urgent processing. Those who report in this forum tend to be those whose application ran into difficulty, mostly due to questions about the residency obligation.

But yes, if they have questions about whether or not you are in compliance with the Residency Obligation the application will get bogged down and take quite a long while . . . probably be a request for you to submit additional documents, and some time down the road an interview.

But if you have been in Canada for, say, over three years out of the past five, probably no problem, but I do not know how long it takes . . . it is not an overnight deal though that seems for sure.

As for what agents on the telephone will tell you: they are there to provide general information, not as case workers dealing with individual cases. Their answers seem vague to you because you want specifics about your case and they usually only relate general information. That's not what you want. Understood. But that's how the system is set up so far as I am aware.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
melo View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:42pm
i did urgent processing and my pr card has been approved. you dont see in process in your ecase but you see decision made  and when you click you can see :

"We received your application for a permanent resident card on xxxxxxxx

We started processing your application on xxxxxxxxx ( same day if it is urgent processing ).

Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on ( same day if it is urgent processing ).
 You will be notified by mail within four weeks and invited to pick up your card at the CIC office closest to you.

romiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 10:41am
hi melo  and timestr when was ur status showin on cic site .i applied for urgent .they received on 12 dec and of today that is 15 dec it is showing nothing ...how long they take to up date for urgent and do they inform you on fone too??plz plzte ll me
                                thanking you
                                 sunil kumar
melo View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 1:39am
it takes 3 weeks from the date they receive the lleter to get the letter to pick up the card. they do not infor u by phone
romiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 11:44am
thanks melo  a lot also plz tell one more thing ..do they update status on line ??if they do .then after how many days they receive ur application? mine was received on 12dec but the status is coming as not traceable . what is that u plz tell wheathe it was same with you and what was the procedure the y go throtuh ...thanks ....sunil kumar
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 4:13pm
While I also responded at some length in the other thread, romiro, it is perhaps worth emphasizing what I posted above by posting it again:

Quote If you have no issues with being in compliance with the Residency Obligation, should be no problem, but they tend to take their time it appears.

If you have been outside Canada more than in Canada, that is, if you were cutting the Residency Obligation close (not sure what "close" is, though less than 900 days in five years is, perhaps close, since 912 days in five years is less than half, and less than half might raise questions, in most people's minds anyway, about whether you really have set up residing in Canada).

If you were cutting it real close, like less than 800 days, making an urgent application, it seems to me, might raise a red flag . . . after all, if someone that close to being in breach of the residency obligation goes abroad it is likely they will be in breach of the obligation in the not so distant future.

Personally I do not know much about the time line for urgent processing. Those who report in this forum tend to be those whose application ran into difficulty, mostly due to questions about the residency obligation.

But yes, if they have questions about whether or not you are in compliance with the Residency Obligation the application will get bogged down and take quite a long while . . . probably be a request for you to submit additional documents, and some time down the road an interview.

But if you have been in Canada for, say, over three years out of the past five, probably no problem, but I do not know how long it takes . . . it is not an overnight deal though that seems for sure.

As I said in the other thread, please do post your updates, since such reports help us get a better grasp on how some applications are in practice handled. In particular, if per chance (I have the sense your chances are not good, but I do not really know), your application does go through via urgent processing that would be very helpful information, since you have obviously been outside Canada more than in Canada in the last five years.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

romiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 10:59pm
thanks dpenabill,
                          read ur ans it was of great help.but cutting close or not.. it should be either u comply or u donot..but as u wrote--- bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does----- so one can not argue with that .if they want 730 days in 5 yrs ... giving them 730 days should be enough ....in no way the need for urgent processing of a person with 730 days in kittty is any less than that of having some days more . thanks once again
                                    romiro 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 1:30am
I think you miss the point about applying for a new PR card on an urgent basis if you just barely make the cutoff of 730 days: you are signaling an intention to leave Canada. If you have only 745 days in Canada in the previous five years, you will be in breach of the Residency Obligation within just over two weeks. So, OK, you have a margin of 30 days . . . but, again, within just barely a month of being gone you are in breach of the residency obligation.

This part of it is not so much about it being a bureaucracy, but rather about enforcing the residency obligation for PRs.

Remember, just having a brand new PR card in possession does NOT give a PR a pass on the Residency Obligation. If you have been outside Canada for more than 1095 days in the previous five years, that is a breach. Even if they just handed you a brand new PR card valid for another five years.

And all this is especially true for someone applying on an urgent basis who has been outside Canada more in the previous five years than in Canada: that is sending a strong signal that there is little intent to really make Canada one's permanent home since, to that point, in five years one has yet to make Canada their primary place of residence. Again, while yes it is indeed a bureaucracy and one should expect CIC to behave like a bureaucracy, this particular issue is not so much about that as it is about enforcing the PR rules.

jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

I think you miss the point about applying for a new PR card on an urgent basis if you just barely make the cutoff of 730 days: you are signaling an intention to leave Canada. If you have only 745 days in Canada in the previous five years, you will be in breach of the Residency Obligation within just over two weeks. So, OK, you have a margin of 30 days . . . but, again, within just barely a month of being gone you are in breach of the residency obligation.
If romiro accumulated the 730 days within the last 2 years, he/she would be able to leave for almost another three years and still meet residency obligations.

If you put all the focus on the exact 730 days, the problem with cutting close is the fact, that CIC needs to take a close look at your calculations. Some people just do not know how to calculate days between two dates and even simple counting on a calendar is not that easy.

No offenser romiro, but your argument actually supports that CIC looks in detail on the calculations if close to 730 days, and has to make sure, that you added up the days correctly. Because of recent frauds, I think they need time for it. Also because a lot of their forces are busy with the investigations around the citizenship fraud cases.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic