Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Citizenship Test

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buffalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Citizenship Test
    Posted: 02 May 2010 at 11:58pm

Hello,

This looks like a wonderful site of valuable information and resources on citizenship issues. I have some questions about citizenship test: 

1. Is the booklet Discover Canada the ONLY material one needs to study to be successful in the test, or to get ALL the questions right? I hear they need to study other materials as well, including
A Look at Canada, etc.

2. As far as I know, there are 20 questions in total in the test. For the type of questions, is it multiple-choice, or short-answer, type, or both? In the case of multiple-choice type of questions, they need to pick ONE right answer out of how many choices; for example, are there three or four or five choices?

3. On the pages 34 and 35 of the booklet Discover Canada there is: "HOW MUCH DO YOU KNOW ABOUT YOUR GOVERNEMENT?" For the purpose of the test do they need to get the answers and study, i.e, memorize them, OR... ? I repeat "for the purpose of the test."

Hopefully, the concerns and uncertainties about these three issues will finally be cleared up!

Best of Luck to all of you,

Buffalo

Edited by Buffalo - 03 May 2010 at 12:12am
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 12:27am
Hi Buffalo:

1. Yes, Discover Canada is the only material you need to study. Everything in the test will be based on that book. If you add others to the mix, you will get confused, or you will just overburden yourself unnecessarily.

2. All Multiple choice only with 1 right answer out of four possible answers.

3. You need to research your Federal, Provincial, and Municipal leaders, the parties that they belong to, and the opposition. They will probably come up in the test, but just be prepared.
Buffalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buffalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:01pm
Beaver, that's nice! Thanks.

1. It seems that, in order to pass the test, one must get 70% or more of the questions right, correct? Also, I hear they MUST get ALL of the questions about some PARTICULAR topics right, meaning that they will fail the test if they miss EVEN ONE question about the topics, even if they get all the other questions right. Is that true? If so, what are those topics?    

2. Must they bring the official letter or notice on the test day with them? Do they (the CIC officials) actually get the letter/notice back and keep them, OR... ?

P.S. For your response to my 3rd question, was it supposed to read?: "They will probably 'NOT' come up in the test, but just be prepared." Or... I just wanted to make sure.           

Edited by Buffalo - 04 May 2010 at 2:17pm
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:38pm

You're welcome, Buffalo!

1. Yes I heard from a friend who recently took the test that one must correctly answer at least 70% of the questions - but I do recall him say 75% and I remember being shocked about it. No way to verify that though, until somebody in this forum can comment. When I took the test, it used the previous rules (60% pass mark) before the new rules were implemented in March using the Discover Canada booklet.

Yes, there are 2 questions that one must answer correctly (topics about Voting). If you  answer one of those two incorrectly even if you got more than 70% of all 20 questions, you fail. There are also three questions you must answer two correctly to pass the test (Right and responsiblities of citizenship).

In a nutshell:

20 total questions.
15 questions about history, geography, economy, system of government, etc.
2 questions about Voting procedures (must answer two correctly)
3 questions about the right Right and Responsibilities of Canadian Citizenship (must answer at least two correctly).

2) You must bring your oath notice on test day. If you lose the letter, you can call CIC call centre and inform them beforehand about the loss, and on test day also tell the CIC officer about the loss. They will ask you for more ID's to make sure you are the real person to take the oath.

If you do bring the oath letter, it will be given back to you by CIC. It's yours and can be made into a family heirloom if you want! Smile

3) Yeah, that's what I meant - the statement I made conflicted itself. Thanks for the correction. The questions about Federal, Provincial, and Municipal leaders, the parties that they belong to, and the opposition may or may not be encountered during the test, but as like many quizzes, we really don't know. Better just be prepared. Smile
JBE View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Spammer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Buffalo Buffalo wrote:

Hello,

This looks like a wonderful site of valuable information and resources on citizenship issues. I have some questions about citizenship test: 

1. Is the booklet Discover Canada the ONLY material one needs to study to be successful in the test, or to get ALL the questions right?

Best of Luck to all of you,

Buffalo

======================================

just do all 200 questions from these (try few times):

and read this book fully before the exam day:

trust me you would be fine.... I got 20/20 by doing this...

=======================================

JBE Big smile
Buffalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buffalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 11:59am
URGENT

On the day of the test, EXACTLY what things must one bring over to the test center? The official notice/letter; one's passport; and one photo ID. Are these three items everything? I am not too sure about this. Thanks.

Edited by Buffalo - 11 May 2010 at 12:45pm
mrstaycation View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrstaycation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 12:11pm
It's:
1- All the passports you possess
2- Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292)
3- An ID card with a photo like healthcare card or driving license
4- Permanent residence card.

mrstaycation View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrstaycation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 12:12pm
Plus of course the official notice letter.
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 2:27pm
Also the Record of Landing document for the old timers who were issued this before the Confirmation of Permanent Residence documents were implemented. 
svee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 5:00pm
you have get 75%. that is 15 right answer to pass the test. this they informed  before the test. I took the test yesterday. good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic