Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsorship refused by CPC-M. Please help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponsorship refused by CPC-M. Please help.
    Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 1:29am

First off, please excuse my lengthy post. I want to make sure you have all the details while providing your feedback.

I just received my sponsorship refusal letter today from CPC-M.

The reason being "you did not declare your dependent to CIC at the time you submitted your own application for permanent residence nor he/she declared at the port of entry or at the local Immigration office when you were granted permanent resident status in Canada. Cosequently, he/she does not appear to be a member of the family class under Regulation 117(9) d."

I am horribly confused, and very sad.

I am in a same-gender relationship and had applied to sponsor my conjugal partner. This has been my story so far...

Oct 1996 - Met my same-gender conjugal partner while doing my graduate studies in India
(We did not stay together during this time; we stayed in our own parents' homes)
(During this time we were in a close same-gender conjugal relationship)
May 2001 - Left India to USA for post-graduate studies
Dec 2002 - Visited my conjugal partner for 4 weeks
Aug 2003 - Began working in the USA
Feb 2006 - Visited my conjugal partner for 4 weeks
Mar 2006 - Landed in Canada as a Skilled Worker from USA
(Could it be that the Immigration Officer felt that after almost 10 years of knowing each other, I should have declared my conjugal partner on my IMM0008?)
Mar 2006 - Returned to USA after 3 days
Jan 2007 - Visited my conjugal partner for 4 weeks
Feb 2007 - Changed jobs and began working for a new employer in USA
Mar 2008 - Applied for US visit visa for my conjugal partner, which was denied
Jan 2009 - Left USA; permanently migrated to Canada; began job search
Feb 2009 - Visited my conjugal partner for 3 weeks
Jun 2009 - Got a job and began working in Canada
Aug 2009 - Applied for Canadian TRV for my conjugal partner, which was denied
Oct 2009 - Applied to sponsor my conjugal partner
Nov 2009 - Received refusal letter + refund of fees (minus $75) + application returned

MY THOUGHTS: The decision does not seem right to me. I clearly remember reading that a conjugal partner is not supposed to be included when declaring family members on the IMM0008. I was under the impression that family members only included spouses, common-law partners, dependent children and children of the spouses or partners. 

I also checked Regulation 1(3) which says:

Definition of “family member”
(3) For the purposes of the Act, other than section 12 and paragraph 38(2)(d), and for the purposes of these Regulations, other than sections 159.1 and 159.5, “family member” in respect of a person means
(a) the spouse or common-law partner of the person;
(b) a dependent child of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner; and
(c) a dependent child of a dependent child referred to in paragraph (b).

However, Regulation 117(1) states:

117. (1) A foreign national is a member of the family class if, with respect to a sponsor, the foreign national is
(a) the sponsor's spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner;
(b) a dependent child of the sponsor;
(c) the sponsor's mother or father;
(d) the mother or father of the sponsor's mother or father...
I feel R1(3) is for assesing dependent family members for the IMM0008 and R117(1) is for assesing eligible candidates for family class membership. I can see where the Immigration Officer is coming from and I feel he/she is mistaken.
Please let me know what you think.
I am sad and in distress!

Edited by kyrie - 05 Dec 2009 at 9:12am
jamaisomal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaisomal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 5:42am
Yes. You were supposed to include your partner in your immigration application. Even though you were not married, it would still be considered a relationship. Especially since you have been together (conjugally) for so long which the IO figured out from the history you just submitted in your partner's application.
Application sent May 13, 2010
Started processing July 22, 2010.
Decision made March 7, 2011
Landed April 13th 2011
The whole process took exactly 11 months!
jamaisomal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaisomal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 5:56am
What did you say your marital status was when you applied as skill worker?
Application sent May 13, 2010
Started processing July 22, 2010.
Decision made March 7, 2011
Landed April 13th 2011
The whole process took exactly 11 months!
kyrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 8:55am
I just looked at an IMM0008 and Question 9 asks about your marital status. The options are:
1. Never married (which I had ticked)
2. Married
3. Widowed
4. Legally separated
5. Annulled Marriage
6. Divorced
7. Commom-Law

Question 10 goes on to ask "Have you previously been married or in a common-law relationship?" (I said No) and then asks to choose the "Type of relationship" between "Marriage" or "Common-Law". Also, India has no concept of common-law relationships. I would imagine for the relationship to be valid, it should also be valid under local laws and regulations.

So, I'm confused, Jamaisomal. How otherwise should I have answered those questions?

Moreover, Page 2 of the IMM0008 (right on the top) also states "You must provide the following details about each of your family members...You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada."

Nowhere on the IMM0008 I had read to include my conjugal partner.

Edited by kyrie - 05 Dec 2009 at 9:05am
YorkFactory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkFactory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 11:45am
Originally posted by kyrie kyrie wrote:

India has no concept of common-law relationships. I would imagine for the relationship to be valid, it should also be valid under local laws and regulations.

I don't think this is the case. All that should matter for a common-law relationship is whether Canadian law recognizes it. We're applying as common-law partners (and were approved by Mississauga) despite the fact that common-law relationships were last recognized in our jurisdiction in 1933.

edit: But I don't read it to mean that you should have included a conjugal partner on your original PR application. If Mississauga continues to reject your sponsorship on this basis, you may need a lawyer.

Edited by YorkFactory - 05 Dec 2009 at 11:47am
kyrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 12:22pm
Thanks, York. Makes sense.

I definitely feel like re-applying, but I'm inclined to use a lawyer this time. I've read the related regulations again and I still do not agree with the IO's decision.

Unless someone else feels otherwise in this forum.
ralph dzegniuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralph dzegniuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 4:50pm
Kyrie,
you essentially have 2 options:

1) you can indeed try to appeal this refusal to the IAD. HOWEVER...because section 117(9)(d) is involved, when you do file your notice of appeal, after some time (usually rather quickly, a matter of few months) you will get a letter from the IAD stating that they don't have jurisdiction to hear the appeal because your partner is not within the "family class." At that point, you (or, if you decide to retain a lawyer, your lawyer) can file written arguments outlining why the IAD should take jurisdiction in your case, referring to the relevant case law dealing, for instance, with deliberate vs. unintentional non-disclosure as well as the socio-cultural reality in India (non-existance of "common law partner" concept, etc.) However, you must know right from the get-go that you are facing an uphilll battle at the IAD;
2) you can file a new sponsorship application accompanied by H&C arguments and in the written submissiosn you must make explicit reference to Appendix F of OP-4 which was designed specifically for situations such as this one (involving 117(9)(d) sponsorship refusals) as well as some of the recent Federal Court decisions tackling this issue. Because of the complexity of the sponsorship, the processing might be longer than the average, and it may involve an interview, for which both of you should be very well prepared.

If you would like to find out more information about me, you can refer to http://www.migrate-2-canada.com as well as http://www.gaytoronto.com/ralph

good luck,

Ralph Dzegniuk, Barrister & Solicitor (B.A., L.L.B.)
Immigration & Refugee lawyer
Migration Law Chambers
82 Richmond Street East, Suite 305
Toronto, ON. M5C 1P1
Phone: (416) 548 9072
Fax: (416) 548 9092
www.migrate-2-canada.com
[email protected]
[email protected]

kyrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 7:07pm
Thanks, Ralph.

The second option seems feasible as I've heard about the H&C class. Won't hurt in making a last ditch effort before giving up my permanent residency to be with my partner.

I guess you're suggesting option 1 to get the IAD to hear the appeal inspite of the fact that it does not hear sponsorship refusals.

I had a look at your website and would be interested in the 20 min consult. I will contact you.

Thanks for your advice!
IslandGirl View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 3:59pm
How long were you claiming to have been in a conjugal relationship when you filed?
Used to be known here as "feb7" - there's no doubt to my gender this way
My previous profile
kyrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 4:35pm
On the Sponsor form I said I knew my partner from Oct 1996. My landing date was March 2006.

I was not aware that I had to declare my conjugal partner while landing. I thought only spouses and common-law partners (as in the IMM0008) had to be declared.

Edited by kyrie - 06 Dec 2009 at 4:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic