Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bill c-24

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bill c-24
    Posted: 27 May 2014 at 8:29am
hello All,

Anyone of you know how bad this bill will affect newly canadian citizens?
Can someone gives a genuine details please?

Thank you and hope it help everyone.
daktrader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daktrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 9:01am
Follow this thread

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/bill-c24-second-reading-on-february-27th-t186303.510.html

Originally posted by fox fox wrote:

hello All,

Anyone of you know how bad this bill will affect newly canadian citizens?
Can someone gives a genuine details please?

Thank you and hope it help everyone.
Landed: August, 2005
Applied: Feb 2010
Test: Jan 2011
RQ Received: Feb 2011
RQ Submitted: March 2011
Total Waiting Time: 52 months
Office: St-Claire
canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 3:46pm
To those who may not have been paying attention Bill C-24 PASSED in second reading yesterday.
http://openparliament.ca/bills/41-2/C-24/
michels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 9:50pm
Bill C24 passed the committee without amendment as is:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=6401990

It is a matter of time now to be implemented.. within a few weeks senate then similarly a comittee that will swift thru it.
Thus CIC will have a pause in new applications for 1 year.. and this should speed up the backlogs

Edited by michels - 05 Jun 2014 at 9:53pm
---
Michel-
PR: Applied SW Apr2001/Visa Aug2006/Landed Oct2006
Citizenship: Sent Nov2013,in Process Feb2014, LoT Aug2014, Test and Oath Nov2014
End of line :) Happy citizen ever since
nureya View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nureya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 7:55pm
Michel

How long it will take the new bill to take effect? 1 month, 1year??

N
hmf1226 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmf1226 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 10:42pm
I think it need to go through 3rd reading, senate than royal assance

where did you get the info that they will pause applications for one year?

canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 10:03am
They won't and can't pause applications for a year. Passage of this law will, in some sense, slow down the rate of applications for citizenship for one year because most applicants will have to wait one to two years more to become eligible and to apply.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 10:33am

Originally posted by michels michels wrote:

Thus CIC will have a pause in new applications for 1 year.. and this should speed up the backlogs

Originally posted by hmf1226 hmf1226 wrote:

where did you get the info that they will pause applications for one year?

Short answer was stated by canuck25, that is, essentially the new law will "slow down the rate of applications for citizenship for one year because most applicants will have to wait one to two years more to become eligible and to apply."

I would add that it will probably reduce the rate of new applications dramatically for a year, and will probably result in a reduced rate for nearly another year beyond that.

In particular, I do not purport to speak for michels, but I think the "pause" is in reference to the impact the longer residency requirement will have on new applications submitted. This has been discussed in depth (along with many other aspects of Bill C-24) in the Changes to Citizenship Process in 2014 topic. This is rooted, in particular, in that until the day Bill C-24 comes into force, immigrants to Canada become elibible to apply for citizenship on the third anniversary of the day they landed and became a PR (regardless of days absent). As of the day Bill C-24 comes into force, the very soonest immigrants (PRs) will become eligible will be the fourth anniversary of the day they landed plus however many days they have been outside Canada since landing.

Net effect: the rate at which PRs become eligible for citizenship will be reduced dramatically for at least a year, which will result in a practical pause in new applications for at least one year.

Obviously it will not be a total pause, as there are many PRs who have not and will not apply immediately upon becoming eligible, thus there are some who will be applying after the new law takes effect (for example, I did not apply until several months beyond the fourth anniversary of my landing, and at the time I applied, if the new residency requirement was in effect I would have met it, including the four years APP -- indeed, I know a lot of PRs who have been PRs for a very long time, but who are only recently considering applying for citizenship since the application for the new PR card has become more onerous, as in thinking they might as well apply for citizenship, and may be doing so later this year after the new law takes effect).

But as of the date the new law comes into force, for the next year the total pool of PRs eligible for citizenship will suddenly cease to increase by approximately the same number as new PRs there were three years previous. And, given the other changes to the residency requirement, the pool of eligible PRs will be further reduced due to particular circumstances (some PRs with more than 183 days absence in a calendar year, for example, will have to wait another full calendar year) and additionally some among those who are wise enough to look beyond the technical minimum requirements will recognize other reasons why waiting longer is a good idea.

Overall, the number of applications filed in the calendar year immediately following the date the residency provisions in Bill C-24 come into force, will most likely be a small percentage of the number of applications submitted in other calendar years.    

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 10:57am
I am hearing from people working in settlement services that the government plans to implement the new citizenship procedures in August.

Obviously this is not set in stone, but there may be some time between the passage of the bill and the implementation of the bill.

Edited by eileen - 09 Jun 2014 at 10:58am
Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com
stmxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stmxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 1:00pm
I don't know if they wait till August. They have an election year promise to start working on.

I was just watched the House of Commons floor. They are time allocating the report stage to 5 hours. Third reading is imminent (perhaps tomorrow).

Senate is also beginning its pre-study tomorrow. From the pre-study experience in the HOC, it seems that pre-studies are pretty efficient in shutting up the opposition and passing the nonsense pretty quickly.

Media has been quite silent on the issue, too. Sounds like no one's interested to bring up the issue. Even NDP does not hold a press conference on it. Perhaps they have figured that this is not an issue that most Canadians would be interested in hearing criticism about.

In fact, most people I talk to are pretty ignorant on this issue, and the newspapers are not covering it either. So I won't be surprised if Liberals does not touch it when they come back to power.
---
I <Heart> Canada
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic