Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ATIP: RQ Triage criteria interpretations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATIP: RQ Triage criteria interpretations
    Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 10:15pm
Hi,

Got my hands on a copy of someone else's request.  And it had a number of documents with RQ triage criteria interpretations.

(numbers in brackets - page references)
  • A2: FOSS concerns - no RQ if FOSS/GCMS criminality noted (5,7)
  • A3: previous applications not approved/withdrawn/etc. - no RQ if refusal/withdrawal due to language, knowledge or both (10)
  • A4: discrepancies in absences - you get a pass if discrepancies are 3 occasions or less and/or less than 5 days (29)
  • A5:
    • Homemakers, retirees, students are not considered unemployed (4,9, 18). You better write "homemaker" in the app if you are a homemaker (14).
    • Explanation of consultant/self-employed with travel situation (5,8-9) - they went with a "strict" scenario - any period of unemployment within 4 years + any travel, even if it does not coincide with unemployment
  • A6: absences to sell property/take care of ill family member - you get a pass if it is within 6 mo from landing, or 2 or fewer such absences in total (29)
  • C1: Renewed IDs in 3 months (3,5,9) - likely not applicable anymore, confirmation that it was updated, but no update text (29)
  • C2: Inconsistency between addresses interpretation - if address on ID does not matches current address per app, but matches one of the previous ones in the same app (i.e. you have not updated your ID after move) - no RQ, but you may be questioned (16)
  • General: You are expected to provide documents outside of 4 year range in RQ where requested - dating back to your arrival as CJs use this to assess ties (23)
Download the document here: (CIC_RQ_Triage_Interpretations_2012)
https://rapidshare.com/share/8FEF74902E21E7BA15D063024F38F31E

Edited by akella - 26 Sep 2013 at 10:16pm
eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 11:19am
Thanks Akella yet again for your good work.

I am concerned personally to read of the expectation to provide documentation going back to one's first arrival in Canada. It seemed so patently ridiculous to me to reconstruct 9 year old bank statements and teaching assistant pay stubs so I chose to focus my employment and home and family tie documentation on the legally relevant residence period.
Perhaps this was not the right strategy.

Funny how despite all I have learned about CIC and the citizenship delays, this process can still leave me feeling so adrift and disrespected.
Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com
Spellbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spellbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 11:25pm
Thank you Akella, a very interesting reading. I also found interesting the follwoing:
- "Right now about 75% of the files we “triage” are requiring a residence questionnaire. If this continues, no one in the Atlantic will be able to hold a citizenship test for months, as we will need to send out the RQ’s, then wait 45 days for them to return before the client can be scheduled. "
- We have an MP’s office contacting us about the length of time it is now taking to review RQ’s. The MINO is asking about it. It supposedly has gone from 18 – 48 months in a couple of weeks.

After reading all of these, I can't help asking myself "Do they at CIC even understand what they are doing?". Totally mismanaged, it's more like a disaster...
SuperCan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 12:00am
Quite amazed by the consultant/self employed RQ issuance criteria (consultant for any period of time -even 1 month- and travel during any timeframe within the relevant four year period) and the ID card renewal within 3 months of application, even when it's a renewal.

What I understood pretty much was if one has taken any consulting work at any given time and was stupid and crazy enough to travel, even when s/he later was working not as a consultant, even for a weekend, the application processing time is likely to increase by a couple of years. Same applies if one was such a fraudster that s/he dared to renew the driver license or provincial health card around the same time s/he applied for citizenship.

I wonder how these processes are developed and reasoned. I would love to meet the people designing this program. They should all get Nobel prizes for their ingenuity and wisdom.

Edited by SuperCan - 28 Sep 2013 at 12:03am
SuperCan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 12:27am
And of course, thank you Akella for sharing this valuable ATI.
broket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 3:11am
Originally posted by SuperCan SuperCan wrote:

Quite amazed by the consultant/self employed RQ issuance criteria (consultant for any period of time -even 1 month- and travel during any timeframe within the relevant four year period) and the ID card renewal within 3 months of application, even when it's a renewal.

What I understood pretty much was if one has taken any consulting work at any given time and was stupid and crazy enough to travel, even when s/he later was working not as a consultant, even for a weekend, the application processing time is likely to increase by a couple of years. Same applies if one was such a fraudster that s/he dared to renew the driver license or provincial health card around the same time s/he applied for citizenship.

I wonder how these processes are developed and reasoned. I would love to meet the people designing this program. They should all get Nobel prizes for their ingenuity and wisdom.

I can't agree with you more, SuperCan.

It seems like everyone else is living in the 21st century while those designing this program behind the closed doors of CIC are still indulging themselves in the life of, I don't know, maybe 50 or 100 years ago where travel wasn't readily available.

Putting aside everything else, how could an immigrant find a work right after they settled down in a new country? Isn't it reasonable to think that there should be some time of unemployment in the beginning?

Vancan2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancan2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 4:30pm
Very interesting read. As usual, many thanks to Akella for sharing this.

I am a bit shocked by reading this. Clearly CIC has absolutely no clue about what is normal behavior and what isn't. I don't think these measures will catch fraud, and the proof is a multi-million dollar program enhancement caught 27 frauds.

I fully support increasing the checks and tightening the program, but this is obviously not the right method. Not to mention that CIC should have known by now that any major change to a program which requires additional work should lead to hiring more people, instead of closing 19 offices.

With the absence of an ombudsman and the lack of public involvement and scrutiny, CIC can clearly implement any legal or illegal procedures that make little or no sense and get away with it. What a shame that the best country on earth suffers from such bureaucracies and poor management of public functions and funds!

CIC managed to turn one of the most pleasant experiences for an immigrant to a disgusting, painful, and draining process for so many.

Edited by Vancan2012 - 28 Sep 2013 at 4:32pm
Vancouver S03/12 L03/12 IP11/12 RQ 03/13 XFER 03/13 Currently In Process
Vancan2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancan2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by SuperCan SuperCan wrote:

Indeed. These were among the items that really shocked me, especially when front-line officers made it clear that in reality up to 75% of the people will need an RQ as a result and the answer was to proceed as such.
Vancouver S03/12 L03/12 IP11/12 RQ 03/13 XFER 03/13 Currently In Process
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 1:05pm

Note: I moved some posts from here to a new topic because they were off-topic; should be obvious in list of topic titles.

Also note: I have been working on some observations regarding this CIC internal information.

In terms of highlights, I largely agree with observations initially noted by akella (and as always, thank you akella for this information) except in reference to
Originally posted by akella akella wrote:

C1: Renewed IDs in 3 months (3,5,9) - likely not applicable anymore, confirmation that it was updated, but no update text (29)
In particular, I think the contrary, that these memos tend to affirm that this criteria is still applicable, still rather strictly applied. If anything, the interpretation given C1 appears to be that RQ is required even though only one of the forms of ID submitted was issued within three months preceding the date of applying.

But, as to this and other observations, I am not ready to post the more complete observations and explanation as yet.

Discussion regarding Halifax concern that the A5 criteria would result in 75% rate of RQ is not much relevant, except in terms of understanding why A5 has been interpreted to not require that RQ be issued for periods of unemployment due to being a homemaker or student, or retiree. Regarding this, remember, that was about the local office screening Part I criteria for already transferred files, a transitory process that occurred between May and . . . perhaps until September or so . . . last year. All part I triage criteria screening is now done in Sydney, and as these memos indicate A5 does not require RQ to be issued to homemakers, students, or retirees (which largely simply affirms what was indicated in previous batches of internal CIC communications regarding A5 in particular).

Regarding going back to date of arrival for applicants who have been living in Canada (or at least PRs) for much longer than four years, this in particular calls for a fairly lengthy explanation of why this is not particularly problematic for qualified applicants who, in particular, were actually, physically present in Canada for > 1095 days during the relevant four years. Bottom-line: it is clear that the applicant has discretion regarding what to include, what not to include, and if the applicant's information and documentation prove APP >1095 days after date of establishing in-fact residence, that will be sufficient to meet the residency requirement even if little documentation and limited information is provided for periods previous to the relevant four years. The since arrival request is primarily aimed at such applicants applying with less than 1095 days APP. Again, though, this warrants a more thorough analysis and explanation.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
CyberHawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberHawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 2:07pm
OK, so basically it is a crime to travel during the first four years.
And, it is a crime to be self-employed or a consultant.
And now it is a crime to travel out after applying for a citizenship because if you miss any date then your application will be cancelled.
I'm shocked, really... 
Landed 2007 Montreal
Applied 08/2011
In process 10/2012
Test's written 02/2013
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic