Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P.O. box as a mailing address in application?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P.O. box as a mailing address in application?
    Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 10:54am
Is it OK to provide a P.O. box as a mailing address in citizenship application? In case I will leave Canada for some months after application, I won't have an address here.
akella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by EasyRider EasyRider wrote:

Is it OK to provide a P.O. box as a mailing address in citizenship application? In case I will leave Canada for some months after application, I won't have an address here.

CIT 0002 completion guide does not explicitly prevent you from submitting a PO Box as your mailing address:
Question 5B
If your mailing address is different from your home address, write your complete mailing address.

but this is likely akin to asking for an RQ.

EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by akella akella wrote:

CIT 0002 completion guide does not explicitly prevent you from submitting a PO Box as your mailing address:
Question 5B
If your mailing address is different from your home address, write your complete mailing address.

but this is likely akin to asking for an RQ.

And why is that? Lots of people have P.O.'s and prefer to use them, it's more reliable, especially when doing small business.

But anyway, they seem to be giving RQs without obvious reasons to lots of people nowadays, perhaps to almost everybody when my time comes, so I wouldn't care or count on not receiving RQ anyway.
nwtspam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwtspam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 4:17pm
You have your rights to use P O BOX, they have their power to RQ you. 

P O BOX cannot be your home address unless you live in the post office.  CIC is not stupid if you change the mailing address but not the home one.

Good luck!
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by nwtspam nwtspam wrote:

P O BOX cannot be your home address unless you live in the post office.  CIC is not stupid if you change the mailing address but not the home one.

Good luck!
It's ok, they have 2 sections-- home address and mailing address in application. I'm not going to make home address a P.O. box.

I don't remember seeing any connection between P.O. box and RQ here on forum, in their processing manual (CP-5) or anywhere else.
akella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 4:35pm

Good luck!
It's ok, they have 2 sections-- home address and mailing address in application. I'm not going to make home address a P.O. box.

I don't remember seeing any connection between P.O. box and RQ here on forum, in their processing manual (CP-5) or anywhere else.

I guess, no one will have a definite answer. It is definitely not on the sample list of red flags in CP-5. I am just speculating that they may interpret this as an additional red flag that may trigger an RQ.  But in the current environment any "may" seems to turn into "will".

I could suggest calling the Call Centre, but they will have no clue as well.

Edit: why would you want to put it in the application upfront? You could change the mailing address later. (reason for Q: from reading those federal court decisions, they seem to be putting additional scrutiny on those who are leaving the country after applying... so this is the inference they can get from your P.O. box address, and you'd want to avoid that)

Edited by akella - 16 Jul 2012 at 4:38pm
BlackRacon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackRacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by akella akella wrote:

Good luck!

I guess, no one will have a definite answer. It is definitely not on the sample list of red flags in CP-5. I am just speculating that they may interpret this as an additional red flag that may trigger an RQ.  But in the current environment any "may" seems to turn into "will".

I could suggest calling the Call Centre, but they will have no clue as well.

Edit: why would you want to put it in the application upfront? You could change the mailing address later. (reason for Q: from reading those federal court decisions, they seem to be putting additional scrutiny on those who are leaving the country after applying... so this is the inference they can get from your P.O. box address, and you'd want to avoid that)

It is better to have your home address in application. If you use P. O. Box, probably you will be at risk of RQ.
Racon
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by BlackRacon BlackRacon wrote:

It is better to have your home address in application. If you use P. O. Box, probably you will be at risk of RQ.

I see you and others saying that, but based on what exactly? Usually, a word from CIC some form or a reported experience required to make such claims.
Willow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 9:22pm
In my community mail does not get delivered to the door, so my mailing address has to be my PO Box otherwise I wouldn't get any mail that CIC will (eventually) send me. My home address is listed with CIC as my actual home address, which has the same postal code as the PO Box.

There are lots of places in rural Canada where this is the norm, so I don't see that this should be an automatic trigger for RQ (although who knows these days!)

Edited by Willow - 16 Jul 2012 at 9:23pm
xero9 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xero9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 10:45pm
Your home address cannot be a PO box AFAIK.  While you can have it as your mailing address, there are some things it's not possible to use a PO box.  By the way, a group box is not the same as a PO box.  Also, your postal code being the same as a PO box block doesn't really mean much.  As you said, this is common in rural areas, that have postal codes such as X0X 0X0 type format (note zeros for all of the number values).

As per Ministry of Transportation's website in Ontario:

"Your Complete New Mailing and/or Residential Addresses, including your street number, street name, township or city, postal code, and if applicable, your apartment number, lot number, concession number, and rural route. The Ministry requires a complete residential address; a post office box alone is not sufficient."

I assume it's entirely possible for CIC to have a similar requirement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic