Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declined

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemytax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Declined
    Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 12:35pm
Hi Guys,

I don't know if anyone here can still recall me.  My story has come to a sad ending: I got declined for not having enough physical presence.

The main reason for this is the following:

1. I did not use my health card often enough (only used for maybe 3 times from 2002-2010);

2. One day trip to US was missed in my application form (which I put into the RQ form);

3. The US entry/exit record was not available before the officer made the decision (which was sent out dated May 2 from US and now I am in possession of this document);

4. Some other missing documents.

I have 1022 days physically in Canada by my calculation.  The decline notice did not name how many days were short.

I am going to appeal for this decision.

Any recommendations?
zhulinda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhulinda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 1:03pm
1022 days? Don't know how you are going to appeal base on that.
canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 1:11pm
freemytax, I am sorry to hear about your case but with all due respect it sounds like your application was sloppy, incomplete and you were simply hoping that its shortcomings will get overlooked. I agree with Zhulinda that your appeal case is pretty thin. 

The best thing to do perhaps is to wait until you accumulate enough physical presence plus a small buffer of additional time in Canada and apply with all documents and paperwork in place. 

Sorry again to hear of your outcome and good luck to you.
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by zhulinda zhulinda wrote:

1022 days? Don't know how you are going to appeal base on that.

He had 1122 days as per his previous posts.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 2:27pm

Quote freemytax:
Quote The main reason for this is the following:
1. I did not use my health card often enough (only used for maybe 3 times from 2002-2010);
2. One day trip to US was missed in my application form (which I put into the RQ form);
3. The US entry/exit record was not available before the officer made the decision (which was sent out dated May 2 from US and now I am in possession of this document);
4. Some other missing documents.
I have 1022 days physically in Canada by my calculation. The decline notice did not name how many days were short.
I am going to appeal for this decision.

Foremost: see an attorney.

canuck25 might be right: best to re-apply when you more solidly meet the requirements.

Other observations:
-- Not using one's health card is no reason at all for rejecting a citizenship application.

-- A day trip to the U.S. did not need to be reported in the residency calculation, does not count in the residency calculation, and would not be a significant factor in determining whether you were resident-in-Canada.

-- Regarding "The US entry/exit record was not available before the officer made the decision:" something is lost here in translation; will address more below.

-- Regarding some other missing documents: the impact of missing documents depends on what is missing and on other factors; failure to submit supporting documentation should not, alone, be reason to deny citizenship, but rather would be about what the decision-maker infers from what has been submitted and what is absent, and what that decision-maker concludes based on those inferences.

Regarding the comment by zhulinda, the distinction is between days physically present versus days "resident-in-Canada." A person can be determined to be resident in Canada for days they were not physically present in Canada. A person who goes to the Caribbean for a ten day holiday remains resident in Canada while they are on the holiday. So, just because a person applies with less than 1095 days of physical presence that does not mean they will not be qualified for citizenship. Question is whether or not they prove being "resident-in-Canada" for 1095 days despite having been physically present for less, for 1022 days for example.

Here is what is a bit confusing:

The confusion can be cleared up if you actually went, in person, to a hearing with a Citizenship Judge and it was the CJ who made the decision. Otherwise:

You refer, freemytax, to the "officer" who made the decision to deny citizenship. Unless there is a determination that you are not even eligible for citizenship (subject to one of the prohibitions, failing to meet the PR requirement, and so on), for which the application is supposed to be "returned" to the applicant (not "denied"), which may be done by an "officer," the decision to grant or deny citizenship must be made (so far as I know) by a Citizenship Judge. That is, a CIC officer has no authority to deny a PR citizenship based on failing to meet the residency requirement.

I might infer that you are really talking about a Citizenship Judge but that would be incongruous with the timeline you indicate . . . the request for documents ordinarily preceding by many, many months any potential decision by the Citizenship Judge, so there would have been more than enough time to obtain U.S. entry records before the decision was made.

In any event, this is confusing, making it difficult to assess what has happened, why.

But the bottom-line: I am very confident that a lot more was "missing" or such than what you outline above.

In any event, if a Citizenship Judge made the decision, the CJ can apply a strict physical presence test and 1022 days of physical presence does not meet that test. So, after a hearing, a CJ could have denied your application on that basis. Most Federal Court justices, it now appears, will uphold such a decision on appeal. Some, apparently, are still requiring CJs to consider qualitative evidence of residence, of a centralized life in Canada, so depending on how the CJ stated the grounds for the decision, one of the latter Fed Court justices might grant an appeal (which would mean a different CJ would look at and decide the case).

If the CJ applied the qualitative test and still denied citizenship, that is nonetheless a tough appeal unless the CJ's decision fails to meet the formal requirements for stating the grounds of the decision.

If your application was indeed summarily denied by a CIC officer:

I do not know how this happens. If you failed to submit requested documents on such a broad scale as to warrant a decision that you had in effect "abandoned" the application, that would make sense. But you refer to specific grounds for denying citizenship.

I don't know. Again, see a lawyer.

My impressions:

I do not know if my impressions are anywhere near the ballpark, because, again, this "decision" by an "officer" without hearing (which is what you seem to be reporting), is outside the businesslines I am familiar with.

But, given the referenced reasons for the denial, I get the following impressions:
-- There is doubt that you centralized your life in Canada.
-- There is suspicion, or a belief, that you were not physically present in Canada for even the 1022 days you claim (they did not directly address this since, as you were short of the 1095 day physical presence test, all they had to do was decide you were not "resident-in-Canada" for at least 1095 days).
-- There is suspicion you did not accurately report all travel outside Canada
-- You had continuing, strong ties to the U.S.
-- You did not submit all that many documents directly evidencing a life in Canada during those periods of time you claimed to have been in Canada

In any event: consult with a qualified immigration lawyer. This should cost no more than having to go through the whole process again, and at the least you will know more.

Final note: if you could indeed clarify your timeline and the particulars of your process (when did you get RQ, a general idea of how you responded to RQ, if and when you had a hearing with a CJ, and so on) that would be greatly appreciated: virtually no one reports here about being denied, so we have very little information about what really does tip a case that far, to the point of denial . . . we have many report RQ and getting citizenship despite RQ. So you could really help others by giving us some information about the tipping point for a denial.

Note following post by EasyRider: I do not recall the previous posts by freemytax. If, indeed, freemytax claims to have been physically present 1122 days that would make a big difference and would point to some serious credibility concerns, since obviously that would mean they did not accept that freemytax was present in Canada as claimed.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
freemytax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemytax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 2:56pm
OK, let me clear up one thing first: it is 1122 days physical presence in Canada.  1022 was my typo, sorry about that.  The day trip part I might have used the wrong word: it is a today-go-tomorrow-back trip, so let's call it a one day trip.  My old calculation showed me 1123 days however after taking this day off it makes my physical presence in Canada 1122 days.

Again I have a Chinese passport, which means I can go next to nowhere in the world without a visa, with probably the only exception of Hong Kong, which I can stay for 7 days the most without a visa.  I have, of course, a Canadian PR card which I got in 2002 and renewed in 2008, a US B1/B2 visa issued in 2007, and that's it.

I have got the entry/exit record for Hong Kong, China and Canada, however my US request was returned first because I missed a signature.  I did submit the copy of the letter from US indicating that they've returned my file for this signature.

From all the entry/exit files the judge (not official, because I showed in front of him in December 2011 due to the fact I've missed my written test and in Scarborough if you miss the written one you are going to face a judge) should well be aware of my physical presence in Canada already. 
flifca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flifca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 2:58pm
Sorry to hear that. I don't think it is about 1022 days. Your issues is more complicated than that. Sorry again to tell you that but just to give you an idea when you apply next time. The CJ is not that bad if they saw there is a consequence and daily normal life in Canada for sure they will prove it .
Maybe you have to much contradiction in your file or how can you explain visiting a doctor 3 times in 8 years.
it looks fishy 
Just reapply with a solid case.
Good luck.
freemytax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemytax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by flifca flifca wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I don't think it is about 1022 days. Your issues is more complicated than that. Sorry again to tell you that but just to give you an idea when you apply next time. The CJ is not that bad if they saw there is a consequence and daily normal life in Canada for sure they will prove it .
Maybe you have to much contradiction in your file or how can you explain visiting a doctor 3 times in 8 years.
it looks fishy 
Just reapply with a solid case.
Good luck.

Well, what's sad is that I am pretty healthy in the past 10 years and did not need any medical service at all.  The only times I showed up in a clinic were for the following reasons:
1. Allergy in 2003;
2. A cold in 2006;
3. Hit by a car in 2008.

I started exercising in 2008 which improved my health even more so that I don't have to go to any doctors.

I work at home, run my own small business, selling some US made products to China, that is an issue: I don't have any colleagues etc in Canada.

Never married, with no family members;

Shared a room with some roommates thus left me nothing like hydro bills, rent leases etc.

Well, may it look fishy? Yeah, could be.  However the fact is I DID STAY IN CANADA PHYSICALLY FOR 1122 days...

That's what make it very sad.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 3:34pm

freemytax:

OK. Makes more sense.

This is what I am getting:
You saw the Citizenship Judge in December 2011.
The CJ gave you an opportunity to submit additional documentation, such as your U.S. travel history. You submitted a letter regarding this but not the history itself. Decision came before you had opportunity to submit that history.
Despite claiming 1122 days of physical presence, the CJ denied your application.
Among reasons why the CJ did not believe you proved that you met the residency requirement:
-- lack of documentation evidencing your life in Canada, including, for example, minimal indications of use of health card
-- discrepancy in travel disclosure (while this is, on its face, for just one day, probably more or less about credibility as to travel history disclosures generally)

My impressions revisited:

For the most part, my previous impressions appear to be reinforced, including in particular:

-- There is doubt that you centralized your life in Canada.

-- There is suspicion, or a belief, that you were not physically present in Canada for the time you claim to have been present. (Even though you claim 1122 days.)

-- There is suspicion you did not accurately report all travel outside Canada (this is, of course, a corollary to the conclusions about days present)

-- You did not submit all that many documents directly evidencing a life in Canada during those periods of time you claimed to have been in Canada

You do not address the last of these. My impression is that you were relying largely on evidence based on or related to what shows your entry and exit dates, as if all the days in between those should be readily inferred to be "in" Canada or "outside" Canada (relative to entries and exits).

What I sense is that you have not fully grasped the nature of "proof" of residency or presence; that proof of entering Canada is not proof of being in Canada from that date to the next date there is proof you exited Canada.

And it looks like you did not submit much evidence of living in Canada and being present in Canada between the dates you say you entered Canada and the next date you say you left Canada. So the CJ concluded you failed to prove you were resident-in-Canada.

If my impression is at all in the ballpark, your chances on appeal depend on:
-- how well the CJ articulated grounds for the decision
-- how much evidence of your residence and presence (covering those days in-between date of entry and next date of exit) you submitted to the CJ or in response to the RQ

You really need a lawyer to fully assess this.
For many reasons this is something for a lawyer to consider, beginning with simply having a far better grasp on the relative parameters of what constitutes "proof" in these proceedings. (Of course, if you did not submit a significant amount of direct evidence of residing and presence, then as canuck25 and flifca both suggest, re-applying is probably your best way to go about this.)

By the way: your failure to appear for the scheduled test was also, probably, a big factor: they can take that to be an indication you were not at the address you had of record with CIC, suggesting lack of credibility and somewhat suggesting ties and presence outside Canada.

Probably totality of factors compromising your credibility led to this decision. Whether you have a good chance on appeal depends on what you submitted to show you really were present. Again, just the travel document indicators of entries and exits is not anywhere near enough to "prove" you were resident in Canada for more than 1095 days.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 3:56pm

Follow-up on your last post:

I do not know what you did submit. The burden of proof is on you.

I have tried to emphasize this at this site for going on two years now: the question is not whether or not you were physically present more than 1095 days; the question is whether or not you submit sufficient proof of presence/residence for more than 1095 days. You do not prove it, does not matter if in God's eyes you were indeed really present.

The CJ does not have a crystal ball. The CJ cannot know any more than what the evidence shows. If the evidence fails to show actual presence, and in particular if the evidence fails to show documentation of residence, then the CJ has to decide, based on what is in front of the judge, whether or not your accounting of the time you claim to have been in Canada is sufficiently believeable to constitute "proof" you were resident in Canada.

I think there is, among many applicants, too much reliance on documentation of travel and entry and exit records. CIC and CJs rely on these sources of information to confirm reported entries and exits, not necessarily to fill in the days in-between. This is among reasons why all the criticisms aimed at CIC regarding the failure to implement full accounting of all cross-border travel by PRs is not really on-point: CIC relies on this information to alert them as to definite dates an applicant is outside Canada. They do not necessarily rely on these sources of information to document all the days an applicant is actually present in Canada. Without evidence of presence and activity and residence in-between travel dates (entries and exits), it is reasonable to infer that the person was not necessarily present in Canada, not residing in Canada.

It is possible to travel internationally via various means without it getting recorded in travel documents; use of alternative names for travel, for example, is common. Thus, CIC will not (cannot) rely on travel records to document that an applicant is present in Canada. They look to such records to corroborate other evidence, but it alone is simply not sufficient.     

And, actually, the failure to have documentary evidence of residence and activity in Canada, tends to be evidence that the individual quite likely, if not most likely, was indeed not present in or living in Canada. The absence of this kind of evidence weighs heavily against the applicant's claim to be present.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic