Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the Cost of Living in Toronto?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stef99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the Cost of Living in Toronto?
    Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 9:29am
Anyone knows how much is needed for a family of 3 (1 5-year old baby) to live in Toronto? I am looking for a 3 bedroom flat. I know that this should be about $1500 but what about else (total) e.g. gas, insurance, electric, telephone, school, health, food...

Anyone leaving in Toronto who knows an estimate?

Also, how much annual salary is satisfactory as in my case.

Thanks

MANUKUMAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MANUKUMAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 4:39am
DEAR as per my friend's experience, 2500 cad dolers per month are suffient to live at toronto.

mishasethi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mishasethi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 9:55am
In Toronto, your rent includes - electricity, water, maintenance, security and even an underground parking (in some buidings).

The medical care is free in Toronto that includes doctor's consultation fees + tests + cost of hospitilation but you have to pay for the medicines.

schools are also free in Toronto. You do not even have to buy the books until your kid reaches high school.

There is also a scheme called "Child Tax Benefit" in which you are entitled to get approx $200 per child per month from the govt to raise your children in canada.

The grocery amounts to approx $500 per month for the family of three.

The car insurance is very high and you may have to pay approx $3600 per year per driver if you have G2 or G licence. The cost is even higher if you have G1 licence. Please note that, in Canada, the car insurance is paid as per driver (not as per car).

A good second hand car like civic or corolla can be bought in approx $12,000.

But please note that, you may have to do a lot of shopping after reaching Canada. So you must keep atleast $3000 for that aside.

If you would like to know everything in more details, do reply me and I will get back to you with the details. I have also started a new topic called " Helping new immigrants". You can also have some usefull info from there.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mishasethi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 10:10am
And yes, regarding your salary, we do not know your qualifications and experience, so it is very difficult to tell that how much can you earn here in Toronto.

But to have a rough idea, the average salary of each Canadian (as per 2009 stats)is $38,000 per year. The salary is paid bi-weekly here (not monthly as in India).

The minimum wage is $10.25 per hour (appliying from March 1 2010) in Toronto. Now a days, it is $9.50 per hour.

So even if you and your wife earn minimum wages, you can have a very comfortable life in Toronto. Please don't get offended when I say that you may have to work on minimum wages as all the immigrants initially work on that for first few months. But within a year or two, they get jobs as per their qualifications and then they start earning really well.

You will also be pleased to know that, unlike USA, the salaries in Canada are increasing even now and the minimum wages have even surpass US minimum wages.

stef99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stef99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 6:30am
thank you guys for the useful information.

I have a PhD in Computer Science and I will be working either as a professor at a university or as a Project Manager in the industry. My wife is a graphics designer.

sachnbapat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sachnbapat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 4:35am
what would be the average cost of living for a single person (decent living) in calgary if one stays near downtown area or SW quadrant & w/o car?

Regards,
Regards,

Sachin Bapat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mishasethi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 10:00pm
The cost of living in calgary is little bit higher but not that different. It is almost the same. And as you are arriving single, you can easily live between cad$ 1,500 - 1,800. But please note that, you can't manage to live in condo in that price. You will have live in a basement of a detached house.
sachnbapat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sachnbapat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 10:58pm
Thanks msha for the prompt response. If i live in shared accomodation(bachelor's ), my expenses can reduce by about 200-300 dollars at least? M i right?

Regards,
Regards,

Sachin Bapat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mishasethi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 11:40pm
dear sachnbapat, yes its true. But where will you found a room partner from? specially when you don't know any one here in Canada.
glparker4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glparker4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by mishasethi mishasethi wrote:

dear sachnbapat, yes its true. But where will you found a room partner from? specially when you don't know any one here in Canada.

Craigslist or Kijiji would be a good start. I posted an ad on Craigslist in the "Housing Wanted" section and now I share a home with a nice senior couple. They are very helpful in assisting me when I need to find government services, groceries, car repair, and it's really nice to have new companions when arriving. However, this process requires that you exercise good judgment as there may be some less desirable or trustworthy people seeking roommates. Good luck!
15 Oct '07 - Mailed Application
27 Dec '07 - AOR
13 May '08 - Interview
13 Sep '08 - PPR
15 Oct '08 - Landed
15 Nov '08 - Moved Permanently
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic