Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I can sponsor already..can i go on welfare now?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I can sponsor already..can i go on welfare now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCamargo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I can sponsor already..can i go on welfare now?
    Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 8:14pm
Hi,
 I am sponsoring my wife from Colombia.  We filed the application from Colombia. I was approved as a sponsor but my wife's application is still in process.  Since I was approved I have have decided to come back to Canada to secure a job and place for when she and my kids come. 

My question is:  I have applied for welfare and I have an appointment with them soon.  I was already approved to sponsor so I'm wondering if this will jeopardize my wife's application at all?  I really don't have money and furiously looking for work  (ive been here for  a few days only) and feel that welfare could help me get on my feet.  I know that if I sponsored her Im supposed to be financially independent but unfortunately thats not the case at the moment and it was the only way to get her and my kids to come to Canada for a better future.   Does anyone know?

thanks alot.

pato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 9:01pm
yOU CAN T SPONSOR SOMEBODY IF YOU ARE ON WELFARE
Alex121 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 9:20pm
If u apply for welfare now and they findout your wife and childrens application will be denied
Have faith until the last breath, remember your faith can be as big that it can move mountains :)
Patience Tuesday View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patience Tuesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 11:14pm
Welcome to the forum!

Although I appreciate the looking for work aspect, Alex121 is accurate and correct.  CIC has their ways and means and when they do find out that you have applied, it is guaranteed that you will not be able to sponsor your family to Canada. 

Is there a way that you can snuggle in with family or really good friends to help in this situation? 

If you were on Employment Insurance or OSAP or Second Career you would still be eligible to sponsor. 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 12:40am
Ditto, ditto, and ditto:

The sponsor must be eligible to sponsor throughout the process until, at the least, the visa is issued.

Will it come up? I do not know. It could in a variety of ways. But, bottom line, if you go on public assistance you will no longer be eligible to sponsor, and . . . well . . .

Tough call. I understand the employment environment out there right now. I am truly OK with getting old because, frankly, I'm not sure I could handle the competition young people face these days. I'd suggest, though, scrambling hard to find any kind of work you possibly can to avoid going on assistance until this process has reached at least the issuance of the visa stage.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
DCamargo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCamargo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 1:11am
ok thanks for your replies.  But what gets me is that they are in the process of investigating her now as they have already me and approve me to sponsor.  Now shes waiting for the visa but id think they are only investigating her?
DCamargo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCamargo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 1:16am
when they arrive after the visa is granted...could I apply with them as a family welfare?  I know some people here are gonna object but given our situation please dont criticize.  we have 2 small children and the welfare would so help us get on our feet with rent help and housing and daycares and community center usage.  The other way would be to work an ass off and hardly make ends meet with 2 little ones.
Patience Tuesday View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patience Tuesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 2:35am
I will not judge or go all critical on you!  Do understand if your entire family goes on welfare that you will be needing to pay it back when you do get a job.  That is part of the sponsorship agreement, our friend.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 3:03am
Priorities: we all have our own. I do not judge another's priorities.

But, bottom line: if you go on public assistance you are NOT eligible to sponsor, and thus if you do so BEFORE the visa is issued you risk a refusal.

How you navigate your way through this is up to you. But, you become ineligible to sponsor if you are on public assistance. It is that simple. If you need to take chances, well, then you balance your priorities, you balance the odds, and, of course, you will live with the consequences.

Maybe a church or other charitable organization could help you through the transitions.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 3:04am
Please forgive the excess bold. Since becoming a spam cop (ugghhh) I cannot edit my posts and fix these things.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic