Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Test not required – is it possible?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Test not required – is it possible?
    Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 7:39pm

Hi,

Let’s start with what I have in my online account:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on August 19, 2010.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called A Look at Canada on August 19, 2010. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on January 18, 2011.

Your file was transferred to the Edmonton CIC office on February 21, 2011. The Edmonton CIC office will contact you if additional information is required. The Edmonton CIC office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

And today I receive: NOTICE TO APPER – TO TAKE OATH OF CITIZENSHIP

But I didn’t took the test yet and never been asked to do it. Does everybody have to take it?

What do you think? Should I be happy or worried that somebody made mistake in my files?

Thank you

Kate

GodBlessCanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GodBlessCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 9:19pm
Kate, I don't mean to ask your age, but if you are outside the range of 18 to 54 years, then you are not required to take the test.

If that is not the case, then it is either a mistake, an oversight on their part or maybe some other weird reason.

Maybe you should call the call centre and share your concern?
lol and if I were you I would be happy lol and some might just quietly go and take the oath haha just kidding.
klan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 11:29pm
No the age is not the issue.

Yes I am happy and I could just go to the set date but I don't think it is the best way to star my citizenship by not following the process that I am aware of.

Should I contact main office or my local office?

Thank you

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GodBlessCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 11:51pm
I think you should start by calling the call centre first at 1 888 242 2100
Is your local office approachable, accessible, as in can you walk into their office or call their office? Does the letter have a phone number for them?

Edited by GodBlessCanada - 01 Mar 2011 at 11:51pm
hcs.car View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hcs.car Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 12:30am
The other letter (Notice to Appear to take the Citizenship test) will arrive shortly for you, I believe.. if age is not an issue for you and that you are required to take the test (written or oral).

I received both my letter (test notice and oath notice) in the mail simultaneously.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GodBlessCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 3:07pm
hcs.car, wow that is something not heard of, what's your local office?
hcs.car View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hcs.car Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 7:38pm
CIC Edmonton. The Test and Oath are 3 days apart.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GodBlessCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 8:55pm
wow that is strange, what if somebody fails the test, i mean with recent news of 60% people failing the test.
Anyway, could you both give your detailed timeline, please.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 9:18pm
Hi

Originally posted by GodBlessCanada GodBlessCanada wrote:

wow that is strange, what if somebody fails the test, i mean with recent news of 60% people failing the test.
Anyway, could you both give your detailed timeline, please.

The tests are marked immediately. If you fail, then you will be told not to attend the ceremony.
PMM
klan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 10:34pm

Time for update.

I am from Edmonton too.

I visit my local office today and I was told that I supposed to have both notices in this envelop (one for the test and one for the Oath). My test is schedule 2 days before The Oath. So I'm glad I went there because somebody really screw up.

And I just spoke with my friends from Calgary and they just go the letter and they have everything in one day.

Regarding difficulties of the test, I'm not sure where did you got the statistic. I did one of the samples that are available online without even looking into book and I did 75% right. I read that some people did the test in5-10 min. So as long as you understand English, will read the book and it is a multiple choice test I don't think it will be hard to pass.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic