Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR Retention while working on rotation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR Retention while working on rotation
    Posted: 25 May 2014 at 2:17pm
Good afternoon everyone

I am a PR under the Skilled Worker Scheme. Landing done on 9th of April 2012. PR Card expires 12 Jun 2017. Was transferred to work in the UK shortly after my landing. Hardly spent a week inside Canada since then.

June 1st , 2014: Transferred to Canada - same company - Canadian Contract based in Calgary but working in Africa on a 5 / 3 schedule out of Canada.

5 /3 schedule <=> 62.5% (5 /8) time outside Canada / 37.5% (3/8) time inside Canada ( excluding holidays abroad) 

12 Jun 2012 --> 01 Jun 2014 = 719 days ( lost)
01 Jun 2014 --> 12 Jun 2017 = 1107 days ( remaining on my PR )
719 + 1107 = 1826 days = 5 years

Between 12 Jun 2012 and 12 Jun 2017, I will have spent 37.5% x 1107 = 415 days of physical presence inside Canada. 415 < 730: hence won't be able to retain my PR status if we stick to the CIC Residency Requirements.

Question: Can the days spent outside Canada for this Canadian Company count as residency days towards retaining my PR?

Thanks in advance
Kind Regards
Reda

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 3:58pm

Originally posted by Reda Reda wrote:

I am a PR under the Skilled Worker Scheme. Landing done on 9th of April 2012. PR Card expires 12 Jun 2017. Was transferred to work in the UK shortly after my landing. Hardly spent a week inside Canada since then.

June 1st , 2014: Transferred to Canada - same company - Canadian Contract based in Calgary but working in Africa on a 5 / 3 schedule out of Canada.

5 /3 schedule <=> 62.5% (5 /8) time outside Canada / 37.5% (3/8) time inside Canada ( excluding holidays abroad)

12 Jun 2012 --> 01 Jun 2014 = 719 days ( lost)
01 Jun 2014 --> 12 Jun 2017 = 1107 days ( remaining on my PR )
719 + 1107 = 1826 days = 5 years

Between 12 Jun 2012 and 12 Jun 2017, I will have spent 37.5% x 1107 = 415 days of physical presence inside Canada. 415 < 730: hence won't be able to retain my PR status if we stick to the CIC Residency Requirements.

Question: Can the days spent outside Canada for this Canadian Company count as residency days towards retaining my PR?

Primary resource for understanding the PR residency obligation, and what constitutes credit for presence in Canada while abroad, including in particular while employed abroad, is Appendix A: Residency Obligation in the guide for applying to replace or renew a PR card.

Calculation basics

First, a picayune but illustrative point: for purposes of the PR residency obligation, there are specifically 1825 days in the five years that count. On the calendar one would count at least 1826, perhaps 1827, depending on whether one or two leap years fall within the applicable five year span. February 29 does not count as a day present or a day absent. It simply does not count, as if it never existed.

One day one way or the other will not, ordinarily, make a difference. So this is a picayune point in terms of actually calculating compliance with the PR residency obligation.

But this illustrates an important point: there are particular rules governing how CIC and CBSA assess compliance with the residency obligation. This looms larger in the context of what constitutes a qualified "Canadian business" for purposes of being given credit for time abroad employed by a Canadian employer: there are specified requirements beyond merely being a business formed in Canada.

Another important factor to keep in mind, is that the PR residency obligation is in no way dependent on the validity dates of the PR card. In particular, the expiration date on your PR card is not relevant.

There are many ways to state the essence of the PR residency obligation, but it really comes down to this: to remain in compliance, a PR must not be absent from Canada for more than 1095 days within the previous five years, not counting an absence prior to the date of landing.

Thus, for example, if your employment abroad does not qualify for the exception, for the option pursuant to which there is credit for time abroad while employed full time abroad by a qualified Canadian employer, and you have physically been present in Canada a total of 30 days, you would be in breach of the PR residency obligation and subject to the loss of PR status as of May 11, 2015 (on this date, of the 1126 days since you landed, April 9, 2012, having been present 30, absent 1096, you would be in breach of the PR residency obligation). The CIC site describes the same thing in a different way, stating that the total number of days present since landing plus the number of days left to the fifth year anniversary, again of landing, need to add up to 730 in order to be in compliance with the PR residency obligation. As of the date that is your fifth year anniversary of landing (April 9, 2017), and from that date going forward, compliance with the PR residency obligation is calculated based on looking backwards, over the immediately preceding five years, during which you must have been "present" for at least 730 of those 1825 days (no February 29 counted, either way).

PR card dates, whether date of issuance, or date of expiration, do not matter, do not figure into the PR residency obligation calculation. A PR can be in breach of the PR residency obligation even if the PR card is almost brand new, very recently issued, and still "valid" for several more years. What matters is whether or not the applicant has been absent for more than 1095 in the immediately preceding five years (not counting days prior to landing), as of any given day.      

Credit for time abroad employed by a Canadian business

Foremose, again, see Appendix A: Residency Obligation, in the guide for applying for a new PR card.

Option 2 regards counting days employed outside Canada if your employment and your employer meet the specficied requirements.

This can be read quite broadly. There are, in contrast, some IAD and Federal Court decisions which suggest CIC may apply the exception more severely than might be indicated to the ordinary person.

At the least, anticipate that what is specified in the Appendix may, probably will be, strictly applied. In this regard, that the employer is a "Canadian" business in general terms or as may be defined for other purposes, is not sufficient. See the particular criteria listed in the Appendix to the Guide, both as to the nature of the position employed in, and what qualifies as a "Canadian business." Note, in the cases, "full time" position does not mean a "permanent" position, and indeed there have been some cases in which a permanent position abroad has been deemed to not qualify (I confess, I do not quite understand the reasoning or the distinction, I am just familiar with a couple instances in which it has been applied in justifying an adjudication that PR status was lost -- I suspect other factors, perhaps credibility concerns, were at play, but in addition to not quite grasping how the distinction was applied, or why, it has been awhile since I read those cases).

Also be aware that accounts offered by others, based on past experience, are probably not a good indicator. This appears to be one of the areas in which the trend is toward a significantly more strict approach than was the practice in previous years.

This is mostly something you need to consider carefully, and decide for yourself, using your best judgment and best understanding of the requirements. Or consult with a reputable lawyer not consultant.

Possible red flag:
I know nothing about who your employer is or what the particulars are relative to the terms of employment. And this is neither a proper forum for going into such details, nor am I at all in any way qualified to assess your personal situation and offer individual advice regarding how the rules apply to your particular situation. But, depending on other circumstances, how soon after landing you were "transferred" abroad naturally invites a question about whether it was actually a transfer abroad or whether you were hired to work abroad. Does it make a difference? The CIC web site refers to "assigned" abroad; in particular, the option provides credit for a PR who is an employee of a Canadian business and is "assigned" to a position outside Canada. My best guess is that other circumstances can have significant influence in the approach CIC takes in such cases, ranging from the nature of the Canadian business (and the extent to which it is grounded in Canada, with an ongoing operation in Canada) to the particulars in how and when you became an employee of this business.

Thus, that is, your particular situation may range from virtually no concerns in this regard to reason-to-be-concerned, depending on the particular facts regarding your employer, your relationship with the employer, and the employment itself. Again, this is largely something you need to assess for yourself, or in consultation with a proper legal professional (a lawyer), and keeping in mind it appears that CIC has grown more suspicious, and for some PRS has elevated the level of scrutiny, in the last few years.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Reda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 5:23pm
Thanks for clarifying the misunderstanding regarding the PR issue versus landing date. Since it is my 1st PR, it didn’t really make a difference to me. But at the end of the day, I must admit your approach is the correct one.

Then, option 2 refers to a “full time” assignment outside Canada. My situation lies in the grey area, as I am (@ least to my understanding) assigned to work outside Canada “part time”.  I am returning to Canada every 4-5 weeks to spend my time off home. Not sure if this case is covered anywhere. But I know someone who became a Canadian Citizen working on a 4/4 schedule ( spending 50% of the time outside Canada means it is impossible to cumulate 3 years of physical presence in a 5 years interval. Yet he managed to become a Citizen without too much hassle).

But then as you said, accounts offered by others, based on past experience, are probably not a good indicator. All I can say now : the red flag is raised. I am increasingly concerned.

Thanks again for you valuable input.

Kind Regards

Reda

ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 8:15pm
Reda, it is unlikely that under the new law you would be able to even apply for citizenship before 2021 if you take this assignment, so I would recommend discussing a job with more than 50% physical presence in Canada with your employer.

There is not too much difference between 3/8 and 5/8, so if they do 5/8 in Canada you will be in a much better position.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 9:09pm

Then, option 2 refers to a “full time” assignment outside Canada. My situation lies in the grey area, as I am (@ least to my understanding) assigned to work outside Canada “part time”. I am returning to Canada every 4-5 weeks to spend my time off home. Not sure if this case is covered anywhere. But I know someone who became a Canadian Citizen working on a 4/4 schedule ( spending 50% of the time outside Canada means it is impossible to cumulate 3 years of physical presence in a 5 years interval. Yet he managed to become a Citizen without too much hassle).

The particular situation you are in determines whether or not your employment qualifies for the option that allows credit, toward the PR residency obligation, for time abroad. Again, see the appendix I linked above and apply the specific requirements to the specific facts in your situation. If you are not certain after doing that, consult with a lawyer (not a consultant).

Note, "full time" versus "part-time" mostly refers to whether, for the duration of the time abroad, you were working full time. I do not know what full time means precisely. Forty hours a week surely is full time. Ten hours a week almost as surely is not full time.

Working on a commission contract probably is not full time, but probably does not constitute being an "employee" either. (While I work exclusively for a single corporation, for example, I am an independent contractor and as such I am not an "employee" of that corporation -- I am, in many respects, employed by that corporation, but an not an employee.)

There tends to be a great deal of variability these days in employment arrangements, including many which do not constitute a formal employer-employee relationship. Again, you should look at the particular requirements and apply them, as best you can, to the particulars of your situation, and if in doubt consult with a lawyer (a consultation for this purpose, to look at the details of your employment relationship and offer an opinion as to whether this qualifies for PR residency credit while abroad, should not be particularly expensive, probably in the range of 300 to 500 Canadian dollars).

But if you are definitely an "employee" and your assignment while abroad is to work full-time during the time you are abroad (be that for a week or month or much longer), that probably meets the full time employee part of the requirements. Then you need to consider the other requirements. The employment and employer must, of course, meet all the requirements to qualify for the credit.

While calculating residency for purposes of the PR residency obligation is similar in many respects to calculating residency for citizenship qualification purposes, there are important differences. Biggest one: no credit for time working abroad (with very narrow exception) available for the citizenship calculation.

Qualifying for citizenship:

There are multiple reasons why the experience of the person you know, in terms of obtaining citizenship, is almost certainly not a good indicator for what you are likely to experience, but two stand out:

(1) Not too long ago shortfall applications (like the one you describe, falling short of the actual presence test) had significantly better odds of being successful so long as the applicant's initial residency in Canada was well established (yours is not, given how soon after landing you went to work abroad) and the evidence of having centralized life in Canada was compelling; it is not certain but it appears that success for similar shortfall applicants is rare these days.

(2) By year's end, it is highly likely that Bill C-24 will become law and that will implement a strict actual physical presence requirement well before you will eligible. It covers a longer period, but is somewhat more liberal in that overall it requires actual presence for a smaller portion of time (current law requires a PR to be physically present in Canada three-fourths of the time in order to meet the actual presence test; Bill C-24 will require the PR to be physically present only two-thirds of the time).

Some additional observations about compliance with PR residency obligation:

This person's experience, alternating periods of four weeks in and out of Canada, is also not a good indicator relative to the PR residency obligation either. Spending half of his time in Canada, he would readily have met the PR residency obligation (which is essentially that the PR spend two-fifths of his time in Canada).

That said, if you are traveling back-and-forth to Canada every four-to-five weeks, consistently, remaining in Canada for a significant period each trip (at least several days), maintaining a household in Canada (particularly if it is one in which you have family living), and thus are rarely if ever outside Canada longer than say six weeks at a time, that is probably a major plus in the assessment of your compliance with the residency obligation. Foremost, given the regular travel it is a lot less likely you would encounter a residency examination at a POE so long as you are in possession of a currently valid PR card. But it should be a plus as well when it comes time to renew the PR card. Thus, even though your time off spent at home in Canada adds up to less than twenty-one weeks of the year, and thus your employment would still have to meet the requirements so you could also count days abroad working for a Canadian company, so long as you are an "employee" and your employer is indeed a genuine Canadian business (based in Canada, primary operations in Canada, and such), given the additional fact you are regularly, consistently spending ten or twelve weeks of the year in Canada at a home you have established in Canada, under current law and regulations CIC is not likely to be critical or skeptical in scrutinizing your application for a new PR card made at least several months (but not more than . . . I think it is six months) prior to the expiration of your current PR card.

There are a lot of it-depends underlying that analysis, and it would be best to have a lawyer go over the details, especially as to making sure your particular employment arrangement and employer meet the qualifications.

Additionally, while I know of no changes pending in the law regarding the PR residency obligation, it is always subject to change and so PRs in situations like yours should be sure to pay attention to news about any prospective changes. If, for example, Harper and the Conservatives somehow (despite how undeserving) win another mandate in the 2015 election, this would be an area of immigration rules worth paying attention to in your situation.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

I do not know what full time means precisely. Forty hours a week surely is full time. Ten hours a week almost as surely is not full time.

Working on a commission contract probably is not full time, but probably does not constitute being an "employee" either. (While I work exclusively for a single corporation, for example, I am an independent contractor and as such I am not an "employee" of that corporation -- I am, in many respects, employed by that corporation, but an not an employee.)

There tends to be a great deal of variability these days in employment arrangements, including many which do not constitute a formal employer-employee relationship.
Warning: please write concisely and stay to the point. A 13-paragraph answer to a short question, more than half of which is off-topic, may be considered an attempt to flood the forum.

To the point: OP-10 provides clear definitions regarding work arrangements abroad. They say, in particular:

Quote assigned on a full-time basis as a term of their employment or contract to a position outside Canada with that business, an affiliated enterprise or a client.
Reda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 6:45pm
Thanks to you guys for the detailed answers. 
One thing I forgot to mention: would it make any difference if my wife (PR ) is living in Canada with my kids who were born in this country ?

Cheers

Reda
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 2:29pm

One thing I forgot to mention: would it make any difference if my wife (PR ) is living in Canada with my kids who were born in this country ?

To a significant extent, I think the import of this factor is covered in my previous response under the heading "Some additional observations about compliance with PR residency obligation"

In particular: if your life is largely centralized in Canada, and you travel outside Canada only for a rotational work schedule, with frequent and regular returns to Canada (consistent with living with your family in Canada except for the demands of a job), that is a major plus in an assessment of your compliance with the PR residency obligation.

That is, of course it makes a difference in terms of what are equitable factors.

Caution: Presence/residence of family in Canada, even with young children, will not overcome a breach of the PR residency obligation, and in particular it has been deemed a minimal H&C factor. The obvious argument (which is expressed in numerous IAD decisions) is that the extent of time actually already spent outside Canada evidences not allowing you to live in Canada would impose minimal hardship to your family or to you, since that is what you have been doing, while in contrast if the relationship is genuine you can be sponsored for PR if and when you are actually intended to live in Canada.

Again, there are a lot It-Depends factors, too many to attempt to enumerate them let alone offer a descriptive explanation for even a select few.

Clarification: in my previous post I perhaps mangled the full-time/part-time issue. Main point I was trying to illuminate is that working-on-a-rotation is not likely to be a main factor in assessing whether you are employed on a full-time basis.

Another aspect of the discussion, about work abroad that qualifies for credit as time resident in Canada, warranting some clarification, is the reference to a "contract." What I was attempting to illuminate in this regard is that one of the key factors, to qualify for the credit while working abroad, is that the relationship should be essentially an employer-employee relationship and other types of contract may not qualify. That is, the "contract" referred to in the guide and other CIC sources should be, on its face and in its essence, an employment-contract. This is important because as I reference there are many variations in relationships between those paying for services and those providing services, many of which will of course be based on contract but which may be interpreted by CIC to be outside the scope of credit for time working outside Canada.

The example I offered was the kind of contract an independent contractor might have, as this is perhaps one of the more common contracts to work which, however, would not qualify for the credit. In particular, it is likely that an independent contractor would be denied credit for time abroad working attendant such a contract. This is, of course, yet another one of those It-Depends areas, the actual outcome depending on an overall assessment of whether the particular work, assignment, and relationship with employer meets CIC's interpretations of what qualifies for the credit.     

Reda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 2:52pm
My contract is the same as that for any Oil & Gas professional working full time ( all year round, no end date on the contract) , on rotation, outside the country. It is the same company as the one I have worked for in the UK.

The T&C even specify that I need to make myself available to work for my employer while on time off in Canada, that is, to perform any tasks ( client meetings, planning ...etc) when & where deemed necessary.

I guess with this last post, I have depicted a clear picture of my situation.

I'd like to thank everyone for the valuable input collected so far. Any further details are more than welcome
Cheers
Reda
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 4:05pm

I should emphasize that I have not made an effort to analyze your particular situation. I am not qualified to offer personal advice about specific cases, the general principles are (as I emphasize) subject to extensive It-Depends caveats, and in many respects there can be extensive variability in how CIC or CBSA approach particular individuals in particular cases. There can be significant variability in what inferences CIC or CBSA make regarding this or that circumstance.

Overall: If your life is centralized in Canada and you go abroad almost exclusively to work as an employee of a bona fide Canadian company, you are probably OK, good to go. A rotational schedule works in your favour, not against it.

In particular, but for the timing of your employment and deployment abroad, if the employer is a bona fide Canadian employer, it appears there should be little concern about getting credit for time working abroad. Even if the timing of your employment and deployment abroad carries an undercurrent issue (relative to being "assigned" abroad), it appears most of the other factors (family and personal life centralized in Canada, all or nearly all time-off spent in Canada) weigh well in your favour and, so long as the employer is a bona fide Canadian employer, what you reveal seems to be enough to indicate you should OK.

But again, this is not a forum suitable for assessing individual cases. The particular facts of your specific case matter.

As I had indicated in an earlier post, you can probably obtain an opinion from a qualified lawyer for a somewhat modest fee (300 to 500 Canadian).

Only you can decide how uncertain you are, whether you need more assurances, and whether you can afford to pay a lawyer for an opinion.

You can call CIC and ask but since there are so many variables I doubt the response will be reliable or even that meaningful.    

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic