Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CIC - Requesting official Entry / Exit from UAE???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CIC - Requesting official Entry / Exit from UAE???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CIC - Requesting official Entry / Exit from UAE???
    Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 9:06pm
Hi All, 

Not sure if any of you can provide additional information here for my wife who had her citizenship test today (17th Feb 2014) in Mississauga. It appeared anyone who passed the test got their Oath Letters for next week !

However, a weird anomaly occurred with my wife - she use to be a resident of the UAE and had a UAE residence visa (visa expired 2010) in her passport, and the officer was not satisfied with the entry/exit stamps in the passport (weird !!) and is requesting we get entry / exit records from the UAE consulate. They said this is standard procedure, but no one seems to know who we need to contact and how to get such a record from the UAE, especially since my wife has not been a resident of the UAE since 2009. When she asked the officer how do we get it - their response 'Google it' ???

Here's the timeline:
Became Permanent Resident: 2009
Citizenship application: May 2013
Acknowledgement: Aug 2013
Citizenship Test: Feb 17th 2014
Current status: Issued a documentary evidence form - Document required is a entry/exit record from the UAE consulate.

Basic Presence: 1450 days
Physical Presence: 1370 days

We really thought the case was pretty straight forward as my wife has been working and studying in Canada almost immediately since she became permanent resident. We heard there have been issues with people with UAE residencies and therefore, waited longer than the minimum 1095 day requirement so the UAE residence visa in her passport does not become a factor, but it still did.

I guess the good news is that she didn't get an RQ, but the bad news is I don't know how to go about getting an official record from the UAE of her entries and departures especially since she has not been a resident of the country for over 5 years. Anyone have any suggestion ?

Would be greatly appreciated

cadeto
bangloboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangloboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 9:43pm
Very peculiar. Did she by any chance come back to the UAE after getting Canadian permanent residency? Also is she holding another passport? Also do you still live in the UAE or do you have a seperate residency visa? I'm asking because I don't see how it triggered off the request. Best person to speak to is contact the UAE Embassy in Ottawa or contact Dept of naturalization and immigration of the UAE

Exit and entry stamps in the UAE are always stamped on your passport with dates in English - you can clearly show that so I'm not sure why they would question that!

Good luck
cadeto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 10:00pm
Thanks bangloboy - thats what I thought. 

We dont live in the UAE nor does my wife have another passport or any other residency visa. She has visited the UAE after moving here and those stamps were clearly shown in the passport as well as logged by us in the application as an absence. 

I am also at a loss on how the visa triggered the request, but thats what the officer told my wife. He mentioned there is no way for them to know whether she was living in the UAE during that period and even though the stamps are there in the passport they need the UAE officials to confirm that.

It just dsnt make any sense, but we want to comply and have that information to them ASAP.

We just contacted the Consulate in Ottawa via email and will follow up with a call. 
cadeto
bangloboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangloboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 11:21pm
Good luck - UAE embassy in Ottawa might be your best bet. Yup sometimes I think things come down to luck - when CIC asked you that there is no proof your wife was here you couldn't produce any document ie. credit card statement, a visit to a doctor or even school! Because aside from exit/reentry stamps those are other ways to prove. I think they were doubting your wife was here in those mentioned periods and sometimes it's all down to the mood of the cic officer - as an external person I cannot or do not have the knowledge to judge that but good luck!
cadeto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 3:42am
She showed the officer school transcripts for the year in question as well as volunteering records, and before she could pull out her pay stubs, the officer mentioned that he believes her but has to carry out this as a formality !!

Really didnt understand it and I guess you are right - it was just bad luck. 

Lets hope we are able to get these records directly from the UAE embassy in Ottawa. Its a shame that my wife's CDN citizenship is now dependent on the willingness and ability of the UAE embassy to provide her with her travel records in a timely fashion when she has nothing to do with the UAE or at least nothing for the last 5 years. Not sure if they will give this any priority or seriousness that it deserves....Thats the only part that is upsetting.
cadeto
bangloboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangloboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 6:22am
I feel your frustration as now you are stuck in he hands of UAE bureaucracy! Just ensure you get hold of someone who can offer the info needed else a drive to Ottawa might be on the agenda for you! Good luck
alaink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 9:11am

I have a question for you, did your wife translate all her entry/exit stamps from the UAE before her interview, the problem might be due to language issues.

Before 2009 or 2010 i m not sure the entry/exit stamps in the passport for Dubai were in Arabic only so it s possible that the agent did not understand the dates on the stamps and that s why he asked your wife for the additional documents.
bangloboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangloboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 9:17am
Originally posted by alaink alaink wrote:

<FONT style=": #f8f8e0">I have a question for you, did your wife translate all her entry/exit stamps from the UAE before her interview, the problem might be due to language issues.

Before 2009 or 2010 i m not sure the entry/exit stamps in the passport for Dubai were in Arabic only so it s possible that the agent did not understand the dates on the stamps and that s why he asked your wife for the additional documents.

I doubt that because I have exit and reentry stamps from Dubai in 2009 as well and though written in Arabic it also has "entry" and "exit" in English with English dates as well.
alaink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 9:25am
Originally posted by bangloboy bangloboy wrote:

I doubt that because I have exit and reentry stamps from Dubai in 2009 as well and though written in Arabic it also has "entry" and "exit" in English with English dates as well.

I don't remember when this was changed exactly but previously Dubai's exit/entry stamps were only in Arabic, I have entry/exit stamps to the UAE from 1989 to somewhere around 2008 and I had to translate at least half a dozen for trips I took after I became a resident
Masri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 6:52pm
They are in English. I left Dubai in 2010. Cadeto check how much time you have to collect the required papers because from what I've seen in the new proof of residency form you have only 45 days to collect the papers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic