Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any recent cases of post-test RQ / judge hearing?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any recent cases of post-test RQ / judge hearing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanHP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any recent cases of post-test RQ / judge hearing?
    Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 6:19am
(Please read summary at the bottom if you want to avoid long winded rambling)

Hello,

I want to know if there has been any recent (within a couple of months) cases of RQ or judge hearing "after" the test. Not a RQ issued during test/interview, but RQ or judge hearing at least couple weeks after the test and that is of course assuming that you have passed the test and interview didn't seem to have problem.

Last year, there seemed to be a period where much more RQ were being issued than ever before; I read quite a bit of posts during that time and I did account some cases where a person was issued RQ long after (months after) the test. Recently, it feels as if there has been significant decrease in issuance RQ. I see posts regarding RQ much less and have not seen one post regarding RQ being issued after the test.

However, I did come across one post where someone explained that if you didn't get RQ before test or during the test/interview, it is highly unlikely to get a RQ after test, but might be subjected to a judge hearing which is relatively a new thing that's happening. On the other hand, I hear people claiming that if you did not get a RQ before test and/or during the test/interview, you are "cleared" of most danger that might trigger RQ and although there is a possibility, it is extremely unlikely that you would get a RQ, and that judge hearing is one of more rare cases.

Lastly, what could possibly trigger RQ long after the test? I agree with statement that if you did not receive a RQ before or during the test, this means that you are mostly "cleared" of dangers that might trigger RQ. And if this statement is true, then it is hard not to ask "why" a person would receive a RQ long after the test? And if there is anything you can do to avoid, or at least reduce likelihood of this happening.

So I guess my question really boils down to;

1. If there has been recent cases of RQ or judge hearing long after (couple weeks) the test; and if there has been enough cases, at what rate does this seem to occur?

2. Reason for RQ or judge hearing long after the test and if there is anything you can do to avoid this.

Any comment regarding this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by VanHP - 04 Aug 2013 at 6:20am
hekmeh30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hekmeh30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 2:57pm
hi vanhp, from my point of view post test RQ are rare recently , although me now after living 5 years in montreal and passed the test and got citizenship, now I m in my home country Lebanon. But I can tell you coz I have many friends Lebanese that their citizenship is still pending since one or two years without getting RQ instead they are waiting judge hearing . So recently (don t know if this applies on Lebanese or all Middle East or all applicants) but RQ after test I ve seen none, It seems either the officer is satisfied at test or he is not satisfied he will give RQ but after the test the judge decide if you need a hearing and during the hearing he might request RQ (but please this is just my point of view and could be wrong) 
VanHP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanHP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 4:02pm
Thanks so much for your observation hekmeh,

Just to be clear, so your friends are waiting for a judge hearing after passing the test and not having problem at the interview? If its not too much to ask, I would like to ask how long after the test your friends were scheduled for judge hearing, and possible reason for being appointed for a judge hearing if it's not too much to ask.

Lastly, in your opinion how likely do you think it is for one to be scheduled for judge hearing after the test?

I agree with your statement that after test RQ seems to be extremely rare case if not none; especially recently.

Once again, thanks for your reply.
hekmeh30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hekmeh30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 4:38pm
Hi, their interview went very well, the hearing was ranging from one year to 2years after test without getting RQ
CyberHawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberHawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 10:11am
Well, I've written the test in February and I'm waiting for my oath since then. But I didn't receive an RQ (thank goodness!) and didn't receive any invitation for judge hearing.
Landed 2007 Montreal
Applied 08/2011
In process 10/2012
Test's written 02/2013
hekmeh30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hekmeh30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 1:03pm
Cyber hawk, did you call cic? Your case is strange unless you are scheduled for judge hearing since now people having test in June are invited for oath in montreal
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 2:54pm

I have split up parts of the OP here in an effort to separately address specific aspects of the queries posed by VanHP.

First, though, and in many respects this has been addressed more in-depth in the Montreal topic, it is worth noting that for now it appears that CyberHawk's case is not within the scope of the situation described by VanHP, because CyberHawk has not been issued RQ.

CyberHawk's case is one of those in which the applicant has attended the test event, apparently passed the written test, but has been waiting for months, or many months, with no indication about what will happen next.

While how these cases go varies, and for the specific individual it is near impossible to predict what will happen next.

That said:

***It is NOT likely that the applicant will be scheduled for a hearing with the Citizenship Judge without first being issued RQ unless it is a prohibitions case (which can be based on a security prohibition), and even in a prohibitions case, the applicant should be either well aware of what that is about (anyone on probation, for example, should know they are on probation) or if it is in regards to a security issue it is far more likely there will be an interview scheduled with CSIS, or CBSA, or the RCMP next, not just a hearing scheduled with the Citizenship Judge.

***Probably most common course of processing (for these cases, those who passed the test and months have passed since they took the test) is, eventually, the issuance of RQ.

Thus, the odds are that CyberHawk's case is indeed within the scope of cases the queries posed by VanHP are about: those applicants issued RQ sometime after the test.

BUT the odds are really, largely, NOT relevant. At this stage of things, it is not as if what will happen next depends on probabilities. The cards are mostly all dealt by this stage. Even though the formality of issuing RQ (or not issuing it) was not definitively made at the time of the interview/test, whether or not RQ was going to be issued was mostly determined by that point in time. No matter how well the interview seemed to go.

In other words: by the time the interview is done, CIC is mostly satisfied or is not satisfied.

Why then the long wait to actually be sent the RQ? What goes on behind the curtains at that stage is largely not disclosed to us, not public information, but my sense is that it comes down to either CIC is making inquiries or a referral to obtain more information from another department or agency, and is waiting for that, or the file is put into a queue for review by a CIC officer. That is behind the wait. Some of these individuals might not be issued RQ, in which case they will eventually be scheduled for the oath. Many, perhaps most of these individuals (referring now to those in this group of applicants for whom CIC was not satisfied as of the conclusion of the interview), will eventually be sent RQ. This can happen weeks, or months, or many months after the test event. (I get PM requests, for example, asking me how this could happen, why it happened, and some of these people did not get the RQ until nearly a year or so after the time of the test.)

Again, as a reminder, there is also the security and prohibitions aspect, and many of these applicants will not get RQ.

Perhaps it is true, as some are reporting in the Montreal topic (based on what they have purportedly been told by call centre representatives), that some applicants are in queue for a hearing with the Citizenship Judge without being issued RQ, without being a security or prohibitions case, but I doubt this, but rather my sense is that most of these applicants will eventually be sent RQ.

The query posed by VanHP:

Originally posted by VanHP VanHP wrote:

I want to know if there has been any recent (within a couple of months) cases of RQ or judge hearing "after" the test. Not a RQ issued during test/interview, but RQ or judge hearing at least couple weeks after the test and that is of course assuming that you have passed the test and interview didn't seem to have problem.

1. If there has been recent cases of RQ or judge hearing long after (couple weeks) the test; and if there has been enough cases, at what rate does this seem to occur?

Yes. There are periodic reports of this. As I noted above, I sometimes receive PMs (often from members of the forum reluctant to share information in the forum) regarding aspects of this; mostly, though, from applicants wondering why or how, thinking they are a very unusual case. This is no longer the usual RQ case, but it happens to substantial numbers of applicants.

As I noted above, the "rate" at which this occurs is not useful information. It is not about probabilities at this stage. It is about the particulars of the individual case and whether or not CIC has reason (from CIC's point of view) to not be satisfied as to the applicant's declarations of residency/presence/absences. It is, that is, mostly merit based, based on the facts, not a matter of chance or percentages.

. . . someone explained that if you didn't get RQ before test or during the test/interview, it is highly unlikely to get a RQ after test, but might be subjected to a judge hearing which is relatively a new thing that's happening. On the other hand, I hear people claiming that if you did not get a RQ before test and/or during the test/interview, you are "cleared" of most danger that might trigger RQ and although there is a possibility, it is extremely unlikely that you would get a RQ, and that judge hearing is one of more rare cases.

Here too, yes, in terms of probabilities, the odds of getting RQ sometime after the test are indeed low. (I would not say they are so low as to be "rare.")

But remember: overall less than one in four applicants get RQ, and it is likely this percentage is actually significantly less than that, that it is more likely to be in a range between one-in-six to one-in-eight. The vast majority of applicants with backgrounds, circumstances, or facts likely to trigger RQ will be identified as such either in the level-one screening in Sydney, or at least in the pre-interview check processing in the local office. Thus, the vast majority of applicants who will get RQ either get pre-test RQ or get RQ at the time of the test/interview. This leaves only a small percentage of those who will get RQ who have not yet been issued it.

what could possibly trigger RQ long after the test? I agree with statement that if you did not receive a RQ before or during the test, this means that you are mostly "cleared" of dangers that might trigger RQ. And if this statement is true, then it is hard not to ask "why" a person would receive a RQ long after the test? And if there is anything you can do to avoid, or at least reduce likelihood of this happening.

2. Reason for RQ or judge hearing long after the test and if there is anything you can do to avoid this.

There are many, many things which can still trigger RQ after the test. That said, most of those things are known to CIC by the time of the test/interview, including questions that might arise during the interview -- in this regard, just because it seems like the interview has gone well does not preclude the officer noticing something that raises a question to be further evaluated after the interview.

See previous comments above about the "mostly cleared . . . of RQ triggers" aspect above.

That is, even though the decision to actually send out the RQ to the applicant might not take place until some time after the test/interview event, even many, many months later, most of what will trigger that decision is already in the file, already a part of the case.

That said, it is worth remembering that background checks are done every time any action is taken with a file, including the action to refer the case to a Citizenship Judge for a file review (which usually means the applicant is being scheduled for the oath, the CJ's approval expected): at that point in time, the CIC officer taking that action will, at minimum, do a GCMS background check, reviewing FOSS notes in the file for example, and in particular any new NCB (non-computer based entries: such as notes made by a CBSA officer at a POE) entries. I believe (not certain but I am very confident this happens) that this includes a name-record check of databases reflecting RCMP, U.S. NCIC, and INTERPOL records.

Again, there are so many possibilities that it is not feasible to enumerate a representative sample of things that could arise and trigger RQ at this stage, but they range from the receipt of a poison-letter (or hot line tip) to an indication that the applicant entered Canada on a date other than that reported or something like a POE officer noting an entry that was just in time for the applicant to appear for the test/interview.

As to after-test ways to avoid RQ being issued after the test: Mostly what the individual does after the test is not going to affect how things go, that is, other than missing a scheduled oath.

Of course, there are obvious things which can trigger a problem at this stage: getting arrested, leaving Canada and encountering a residency obligation examination at the POE upon returning, filing an application to sponsor someone for PR in which there are facts inconsistent with the information given in the citizenship application process, among other mostly obvious things.

All the above said: The more time goes by after the test, without being scheduled for the oath, personally I would get prepared to receive RQ and be prepared to respond to RQ. In the meantime I would hope for the pleasant surprise of being scheduled for the oath, but I would be ready for the RQ.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

CyberHawk's case is one of those in which the applicant has attended the test event, apparently passed the written test, but has been waiting for months, or many months, with no indication about what will happen next.

While how these cases go varies, and for the specific individual it is near impossible to predict what will happen next.

That said:

***It is NOT likely that the applicant will be scheduled for a hearing with the Citizenship Judge without first being issued RQ unless it is a prohibitions case (which can be based on a security prohibition), and even in a prohibitions case, the applicant should be either well aware of what that is about (anyone on probation, for example, should know they are on probation) or if it is in regards to a security issue it is far more likely there will be an interview scheduled with CSIS, or CBSA, or the RCMP next, not just a hearing scheduled with the Citizenship Judge.

If there's a decision to withhold applicant from taking oath AND RQ is waiting down the road, why there would be a wait between this decision and issuing an RQ, are there any valid reasons for not sending it right away?
hekmeh30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hekmeh30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 4:03pm
I m not an expert but out of curiosity would like to participate, I think that those applicants are referred for further investigation and this further investigation is a long queue and based on the investigation result the applicant might be sent RQ or scheduled for oath
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 4:28pm

Originally posted by EasyRider EasyRider wrote:

If there's a decision to withhold applicant from taking oath AND RQ is waiting down the road, why there would be a wait between this decision and issuing an RQ, are there any valid reasons for not sending it right away?

I realize my posts are long, and probably most participants here skim them at most, but I did offer my sense of why-this in the post you are quoting from:
Quote Why then the long wait to actually be sent the RQ? What goes on behind the curtains at that stage is largely not disclosed to us, not public information, but my sense is that it comes down to either CIC is making inquiries or a referral to obtain more information from another department or agency, and is waiting for that, or the file is put into a queue for review by a CIC officer. That is behind the wait. Some of these individuals might not be issued RQ, in which case they will eventually be scheduled for the oath. Many, perhaps most of these individuals (referring now to those in this group of applicants for whom CIC was not satisfied as of the conclusion of the interview), will eventually be sent RQ. This can happen weeks, or months, or many months after the test event. (I get PM requests, for example, asking me how this could happen, why it happened, and some of these people did not get the RQ until nearly a year or so after the time of the test.)

To be clear, though, I am NOT talking about a decision to "withhold applicant from taking oath," as I doubt that is the nature of the decision following the test interview.

On the contrary, my sense is that any applicant for whom there is not an affirmative decision to refer the case to the Citizenship Judge for a file review (thus, in practice meaning to be scheduled to take the oath) will then be among those waiting for some next step in their case after the test.

That is, the wait after the test/interviw is not based on a decision to withhold an applicant.

(Well, at the conclusion of the test interview some applicants may be assessed to be not qualified, and their applications will be put into a track appropriate to complete the process leading to a hearing with the Citizenship Judge; a clearly prohibited applicant, for example, such as one on probation, one subject to a pending appeal of a removal order.)

That is, the wait after the test interview will happen for any applicant who is not immediately put into a track for a file review.

Beyond that, my post was about those with long term waits. Some of these are security related. Those which are related to questions about residency, as I said, probably (CIC is not transparent about this phase of processing) involve either:
-- waiting for inquiry or investigation response from another department or agency
-- in queue waiting for a CIC officer to do a full residency assessment (and that officer will decide whether to refer applicant for a file review or to issue RQ)

In contrast, yes, my sense is that CIC makes a decision to issue RQ to some applicants who were not identified for RQ prior to the test event (and thus RQ was not ready to be issued at the interview itself). These applicants probably do not have to wait very long: probably, at longest, the file is in queue for someone to generate the RQ for the specific applicant and within weeks or a couple months, the RQ is issued and sent to the applicant.

Bottom-line: RQ can be issued at any time, from pre-test, to just before the test, to the time of the test, and anytime after the test before the applicant actually takes the oath.

For those who took the test, are sure they passed the test, and have been waiting a long time, more than two or three months, my strong sense is that there is either a security issue lurking or there are questions about the residency requirement to be addressed by a CIC officer, with the odds of RQ eventually being issued pretty substantial I'd guess.

Despite the reports by some in the Montréal thread, that they have been advised they are waiting for a hearing with a Citizenship Judge, no RQ, I doubt this happens, or happens outside prohibition/security issue cases (well, perhaps with some exception); my strong sense is that such individuals will either eventually be scheduled for the oath or they will be issued RQ.

In any event, there are plenty of reports that, indeed, some applicants get RQ many, many months after taking the test, even up to a year or so. (As I said, I also get personal messages asking for advice, which I am not qualified to give, from such applicants who are reluctant to share their information in the forum.)

Overall this is the best I can glean from what we know and the reports of various applicants. Again, much of this (the process after the test pending next step, oath or RQ or hearing) is done behind the curtains, beyond what CIC divulges publicly, and of course that includes what CIC's reasoning is in particular, what their policies and practices are.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic