Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Visit Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do we do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do we do?
    Posted: 01 Jan 2010 at 7:11pm
Hello everyone, I am a Canadian living in Canada, my fiance is Phillipino living in China, what do we have to do to get her to Canada, we are hoping to bring her here in September 2010, thanking you in advance for all your help,
Michael
IslandGirl View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010 at 8:37pm
It depends - are you intending for her to live with you in Canada?
When are you getting married?
Have you ever lived together to the extent that you might qualify for common-law? (more to it but start with live together for a year)
Originally posted by michael14 michael14 wrote:

Hello everyone, I am a Canadian living in Canada, my fiance is Phillipino living in China, what do we have to do to get her to Canada, we are hoping to bring her here in September 2010, thanking you in advance for all your help,
Michael
Used to be known here as "feb7" - there's no doubt to my gender this way
My previous profile
michael14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010 at 8:58pm
thanks for the help, we have never met, only online for a year and a half now, is there a way to invite her here and we get married soon after here, or do i have to go there and get married and how long do we have to be married there before i can bring her to canada?
thanks again,
Michael
IslandGirl View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 12:25pm
Okay - 2 parts of advice here, one personal - one immigration - use them (or not) as you like

Part 1 - personal
I'd highly recommend meeting your lady in person first, make a trip or two - stay with her, etc before marry. Don't make your first in person meeting your marriage, this is my opinion but can also carry weight with the IO assessing your case
Part 2 - immigration facts
Once you are in a qualifying relationship (which once you are married - you would be) you can send your application in.

With that being said - although you may (legally) be able to, realistically - it doesn't work that way...lol
I say that because it takes time to get all the paperwork together. Now - even if you had all your paperwork ready to go on the day you got married - you need a copy of your marriage certificate to send in also and I can't tell you how long that takes.

To get married in Canada, your lady friend would need to get a visitor's visa to come to Canada. To do that, she has to prove she has strong ties "back home", money to support herself while she's here and that she would leave at the end of her stay. Having said that, while it's not guaranteed that they'd deny it - it's likely. In that case - you'd have to get married in the Philippines.

When can you bring her to Canada? Well - here's a breakdown - best case scenario
There are 2 parts to the application - sponsorship and PR
The whole kit & kaboodle goes to Mississauga where they assess your eligibility as a sponsor - this is typically a 2 day deal once they open your application (figure 4-6 weeks from the time they receive it). However, if there are problems - it can take longer.

They then send the file to Manila - Manila is currently processing applications in 4-8 months for 80% of cases.

Absolute best case scenario - 6 months from when you send the application in, possibly a little less - in reality though - probably longer

Originally posted by michael14 michael14 wrote:

thanks for the help, we have never met, only online for a year and a half now, is there a way to invite her here and we get married soon after here, or do i have to go there and get married and how long do we have to be married there before i can bring her to canada?
thanks again,
Michael
Used to be known here as "feb7" - there's no doubt to my gender this way
My previous profile
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 3:03pm
FYI: Getting your marriage certificate in Canada can take 6-8 weeks or longer (if you get married here). 
In Ontario, once you get married, the minister/priest/officiant sends in the documentation to the Office of the Registrar General.  They process your marriage info, and if it's all a-ok, they enter your marriage into the registry.  Ony at that point can you apply to get a legal copy of your "Marriage Certificate", which is what you and your wife need to send in with your immigration application.

Note - that's a timeline for Ontario.  Other provinces may vary -- but most of these can be done online.  If you want it right away, you can pay extra to get it in 2-3 days.

tgchi13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgchi13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 9:33pm
Does anyone know how long it takes to process in North Carolina? It says there is expidited service available, including 1 hour turn-around for walk-ns but I don't know how long after the wedding it would be before it would be available.
tgchi ~
'so close, no matter how far, couldn't be much more from the heart, forever trusting who WE are and nothing else matters' Going State-side!
britincanada View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 9:46pm
I agree with IslandGirl...I would not recommend from a Permanent Residency point of view that you marry her on you first meeting in person..CIC would more than likely be suspicious as to weather your relationship is genuine. And that is one of the things you must convince them of in order for them to approve Permanent Residency, If you really want to be together for the right reasons I recommend you take your time. I also want to point out that if you do get married on your first visit the likely hood of Immigration Canada giving your partner a Visitors Visa is slim as you would need to demonstrate that she would be leaving Canada at the end of her stay. If she is your spouse realistically she would be staying in China until her PR was approved which may mean living apart for sometime and most likely her entry to Canada during this process denied!  
App received by CPC-M 1/06/10
Sponsorship approved 29/06/10
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
ELIGIBLE TO BECOME CITIZEN 4/11/2012
jalan123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jalan123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 9:29am
Hi every body ,
                         is any body can give me answer that i had applied for pr for canada my wife win appeal last year and i gt medical examination letter in jan 2010 and i get it done.till 8th april i did not get any response from canadian embassy new delhi today i got mail from them that my backround check is going on and they donot have any time frame.can you gove me answer how many days they can take to finish this procedure
jalan
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:17am

Here's a story for you - about a personal friend of mine who is in the middle of a situation like this.

His story:
He's a Canadian man, and met a woman online.
They communicated via email and phone calls for 5-6 months.
She speaks Chinese, he speaks English -- so they used an interpreter at times.
I showed him Google translate - but we all know how good that is (it's marginal, but btter than hacving nothing).

Against my (and many other peoples') advice, he flew to China to marry her.
We had all advised him that there was no need to marry right away - he needed to get to know her better...  but I guess love makes people do funny things.  Off he went to China.

He spent 3 weeks with her, and married her during his last week there.

He returned home without her (she had no passport, therefore could not travel) - intending to begin the sponsorship process.

She told him she was a doctor.  She told him that her 18 year old son would stay in China until he finished university, after which they could sponsor him (the son) to Canada.

Here's where the story takes a twist...

On returning to Canada, he had the misfortune to suffer a heart attack.  He was bedridden for several weeks.  He was able to communicate with her infrequently... but he made every effort to stay in contact. 

After he began recovering, they resumed normal contact (email/phone with interpreter).  That's when the questions started.  She was angry that he had done nothing to start the immigration process.  She was adamant that he would sponsor the son in as well, right way - regardless of the fact that they had agreed to wait until the son (who only speaks Chinese) had finished school.  She accused him of being a horrible husband, a bad man who has turned his back on his 'husbandly duties'.

Nice eh?

He tells her that he doesn't make enough money to support both her and the child (note: not for CIC purposes, but for real life purposes).  So he asks her for full financial disclosure - so he can get an idea as to just what kind of a situation he'd put himself in.   She claims that she doesn't understand what he's asking (this is a common theme, when he wants something official she suddenly doesn understand - interpreter or not).   He has sent her the CIC forms several times, and has asked her to fill them out - but she wants him to do it for her.  He has been sending her money regularly.

His story is still ongoing - and I don't have a recent update - but to me this sounds like trouble.
He's also at the point where he's thinking immigration fraud - and kicking himself for getting married so quickly.

Note that he was over the moon for this girl while they were emailing, and he had 3 great weeks with her in China....  but now that push is coming to shove - he's starting to feel like he's being used for immigration.

Now he's faced with some harsh reality checks.  He's unsure as to the legitimacy of the relationship (though he wants to believe in her).  He's concerned that if it is not legit, he has to get a divorce from China... something he has no idea how to do.

The last I heard, he was waiting it out to see what happened (BEFORE sponsoring her in).

The way I see it, he's going to have one hell of a time convincing the I/O that this is anything but a MOC.  There's simply not enough history, or what I'd call 'face time' to legitimize the relationship.  On top of that - they don't speak a common language.  Major cultural differences.  Religious differences.  The deck is stacked against him -- and to be honest -- he's not even sure if it's legit.

So - the bottom line:  TAKE YOUR TIME!
Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:26pm
WOW!!!!! Somebody has to give your friend a cold shower and if that doesn't wake him up two slaps on the face That is soooooo crystal clear that the woman is using him!
"I shall pass this way but once. Therefore, any good that I can do or any kindness that I can show, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic