Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changes to Citizenship Process in 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 37>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CeCe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes to Citizenship Process in 2014
    Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 10:05pm
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/12/27/as-canadian-citizenship-rules-face-an-overhaul-by-the-harper-government-in-2014-heres-what-to-expect/

"Permanent residents must reside in Canada for at least three of the previous four years to qualify. Alexander said it’s time to consider increasing the threshold."

Well, I guess it's official if the minister is commenting on it...

Edited by CeCe - 27 Dec 2013 at 10:07pm
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 4:47pm

The value of analytical stories in newspapers typically range widely, although those based on minimal sources tend to range heavily on the uninformative side leaning toward misleading. This story is particularly uninformative. To what extent it may be misleading is not so easily discerned. But at least some of this story clearly falls into the no real information leaning toward misleading end of the range.

Hard to say, though, if the worst parts also characterizes the part about Minister Alexander's rather vague allusion to increasing the residency threshold necessary to be qualified for citizenship. The statement attributed to the Minister is consistent with other statements from both this Minister and his predecessor, Jason Kenney, but in that the consistency includes this same insinuation going back years, so it is not clear that any real changes are imminent.

There is minimal context given for the Minister's vague statements. (Contrast the assertion that the government is "poised" to make changes with the quote attributed to Minister Alexander, that it is "time to consider . . . " which imparts the opening of discussions not the precipice of tabling legislation.)

It is worth noting that the lawyer quoted offered a speculative what should be residency requirement, with no hint that the four-in-six year standard, which he suggests "would be suitable," is something anyone in the government is so much as talking about. (There are, for example, not even any attributions to unnamed sources as to any actual legislative proposals, let alone quoted sources referring to any specific legislation to be tabled any time soon.)

I give the prospect that a four-in-six years requirement will be implemented this year no better odds than a guess. An increase to four years is, of course, well within what might be thought a reasonable modification. So it is a fair guess. The real question, though, is what other elements will be part of the residency assessment, and in particular to what extent will it be strictly a physical presence standard.

In any event, the opening statement of the article is a restatement of something being said almost verbatim for more than two years now, and which was at the least a strong insinuation for years prior to that: That is, the statement "The federal government is poised to deliver on what’s been dubbed the 'first comprehensive reforms to the Citizenship Act in more than a generation.'" The federal government has been so poised for years.

Perhaps 2014 is the year it will really happen.

But that was precisely the sentiment, the anticipation, back in late 2011. I had exceeded the 1095 days of actual physical presence threshold by then, and was otherwise qualified for citizenship, and more than a few strongly suggested I apply sooner rather than later, and the rationale was, emphatically, because it was expected that that government would soon change the Citizenship Act including introducing a more stringent, probably longer and more strict, residency requirement. At that time I decided I did not want to rely on time I had spent in Canada with temporary status and would wait to rely entirely on presence after landing.

Then, by mid 2012, when I was already well over the 1095 days of actual presence threshold counting only time in Canada after landing, again the consensus was to not wait, apply sooner rather than later. I elected to wait longer, until after having been landed at least four years; I did so for other reasons, reasons related though to what RQ would entail combined with a recognition that I was at high risk for RQ (a risk I recognized even before OB 407, which became more salient by May 2012 when the reports of pre-test RQ were streaming into all the forums about immigration and citizenship, and then my elevated risk was clearly indicated when a copy of the File Requirements Checklist surfaced here).

The point, though, is that going back to 2011, the consensus was the government was poised to implement changes including a more strict residency requirement. Still poised it seems.

Nonetheless, reforming the Citizenship Act has been one of the more salient promises if not priorities of the Conservatives for many years, and time is running out (they have to apprehend that at most they might obtain a minority government in the 2015 elections), so 2014 could be the year they get it done.

Some Notes:

-- There have been major amendments to the Citizenship Act within the last generation, so the article's reference to the first "comprehensive reforms . . . in more than a generation" is at the least hyperbole. What has not changed in well over a generation, and which many have been clamouring is in desperate need of reform, is the part of the Act governing the grant of citizenship, the requirements for naturalization, and this is mostly about the residency requirement itself.

-- While there are often recurring rumblings about "passport babies" or "anchor babies," or "birth tourists," the prospect of major restrictions on who is a Canadian citizen based on birth in Canada seems highly unlikely. Perhaps the government could implement some restrictions, such as no automatic citizenship for children who are born to mothers without status, but even that seems like a long shot. Major obstacles: Charter Rights; Canada's treaty commitments (including in particular relative to rendering persons "stateless"); logistics (complicating rules for ascertaining citizenship tend to be highly problematic).   

-- Objectives/agenda in play; these stories have tended to gloss over the real motives underlying much of the rumblings about prospective changes to the residency requirement, and they tend to totally ignore that the current residency requirement is a quagmire of contention and confusion, not practically workable, and resoundingly criticized by numerous Federal Court justices, some of whom have overtly called on Parliament to fix the mess. While fraud is the more visible aspect, and is of course a significant concern in this government, it does not require all that much insight into the machinations of CIC in the last two years, in conjunction with the cryptic but sufficiently telegraphic utterances from Harper, Kenney, and now Alexander, to recognize that a huge, huge concern (in this government and administrative/management levels of CIC) is the extent to which the Canadian system is being exploited, manipulated, for the purpose of obtaining the Canadian passport rather than in becoming Canadian citizens. Minimizing the extent of this is probably as big a priority as addressing outright fraud.

-- Inclusion of tax returns with application: not likely. Perhaps CRA Notices of Assessment, but not copies of "tax returns." Not sure if this was the article's author misstating what the lawyer said, or the lawyer being sloppy, but even RQ'd applicants are not asked for copies of their tax returns (not usually). CRA Notices of Assessment are sufficient to show whether or not the applicants filed a tax return as a resident for the respective year, and to reflect income. Moreover, this would not be something implemented by a change to the Citizenship Act, since this could be adopted and incorporated into the application form itself without any changes to current law. But yes, in the last couple years the trend has been for CIC to add more documentation to be included with the application, and the application for a new PR card already includes a request for CRA Notices of Assessment.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
in_cdn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in_cdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 5:21pm
Thanks dpenabill

all things considered - and given the long drawn out procedures of the legislative process where even a regular bill with few contentious clauses or sections can easily stall and take its own sweet time before final passage - what then with a proposed citizenship reform bill - a wordy chunky daunting 100+ pager perhaps - that will envisage very big reforms of the kind " one has not seen in a generation"

With that in mind, one surmises that if and when such a bill is put forth it could well be a powder keg of sorts that is so very loaded as to easily open itself up to a lot of nitpicking, opposition (including from the opposition and maybe even from within the conservative ranks), and spark much vociferous and angry debate particularly from the hapless PRs who increasingly feel like milch cows for the system.   What say you?
RobertB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 8:04pm
I think the main question for us as applicants who are trapped in CIC's unreasonable processing times is what happens to our delayed applications, should the law change before a decision is made on our case. Would we have to reapply and stand in the back of line again?

Seeing my friends who have come to Canada 3 years after me already getting their Citizenship does irritate me a bit, but having to reapply and have to wait the whole time again is another... 
---
We can only do so much. But we gotta do what we gotta do.
bjones View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by RobertB RobertB wrote:

I think the main question for us as applicants who are trapped in CIC's unreasonable processing times is what happens to our delayed applications, should the law change before a decision is made on our case. Would we have to reapply and stand in the back of line again?

I highly doubt that the new rules/laws (if any!) will apply to current applications. 
RobertB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 12:44am
The Federal government threw away all Federal Skilled Worker made prior to 2008 a while ago, and they even won the suit filed against them in the Superior Court of Canada. 

Could you explain what you find different with Citizenship applications when laws change? From what I understand, they may simply ask all applicants to reapply should the law of the land change. Please share if you know something I don't.

Edited by RobertB - 29 Dec 2013 at 12:45am
---
We can only do so much. But we gotta do what we gotta do.
in_cdn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in_cdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 10:00am
Dpenabill would have more insights and analysis.

If you look at this article:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Minister+working+toward+shorter+wait+times/9327032/story.html

It mentions tabling a bill but phrases it in a way as to put the spotlight much more on reducing backlogs etc.

"......While he will table an important citizenship bill in the coming months, his main focus will be to bring down backlogs and wait times...."
kisunja85 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kisunja85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 1:57pm
I am not dpenabill, but I would like to respond with the whole quote:

While he will table an important citizenship bill in the coming months, his main focus will be to bring down backlogs and wait times in the various economic immigration streams in anticipation of the government's expression of interest system set to launch Jan. 1, 2015.

I reviewed that article, but could not find any mention of "citizenship backlogs" as a problem in itself.

Edited by kisunja85 - 29 Dec 2013 at 1:58pm
Citizenship application

Sent 01/2013;IP:03/2013, Test 10/2014
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 6:00pm

Might changes to the residency requirement apply retroactively, that is, to those who already have applications pending?

This is not likely, not likely by a long shot, but because the grant of citizenship is not a right (it is instead a statutorily granted entitlement, a "privilege"), I cannot say with absolute certainty that it is impossible. But it is extremely unlikely. It is highly unlikely for political reasons alone (never mind the litigation that would beseige CIC based on allegations that this would constitute a denial of fair process), and would not do much if anything to advance CIC's agenda.

Reminder: One of CIC's primary agendas, when it comes to the processing of grant citizenship applications, is to get applicants through the process to the oath. Some will disagree with this. They are wrong. I elaborate below.

Bottom-line: at least insofar as changes to the Citizenship Act are concerned, I lean very heavily toward the view expressed by bjones:
Originally posted by bjones bjones wrote:

I highly doubt that the new rules/laws (if any!) will apply to current applications.

In any event, there is absolutely no hint, and not the slightest chance, that there will be any changes which will result in existing citizenship applications being summarily terminated without cause. Not going to happen.

The FSW situation is not at all comparable.

This has been discussed at length in other topics here. Many such discussions were posted in the summer of 2012, when there was an onslaught of ludicrous, the-sky-is-falling, attributions and projections (all citizenship applicants will be given RQ, for example) in this forum (and in others). Regarding the question as to whether something like what happened to FSW PR visa applications could be done to citizenship applications, I (and others) offered some explanations then, still valid observations, as to why that was more than just not at all likely -- including a recognition of the huge, huge difference between the status and rights of PRs with citizenship applications already pending, applications for what is an existing statutory entitlement even if not directly a Charter right (thus protected by other rights, such as to fair procedures), and the indefinite (if not nebulous) opportunity to obtain a PR visa which was summarily terminated when Parliament passed legislation to effectively eliminate a huge share of the FSW PR application inventory. There is no comparison actually.

That is, summarily terminating applications by foreign nationals seeking a discretionary grant of status (FSW PR visas) is NOT substantively comparable to summarily terminating without cause applications by Canadians (landed PRs are "Canadians" by law) seeking a non-discretionary grant of status statutorily prescribed. (There may be some far-fetched possibilities, but they are so far-fetched as to not warrant attention.)

In any event, key take-away from these articles:

The citizenship grant application process is but one slice, and not a big slice, of the overall CIC processing scene. It is not the focus of plans for the coming year.

Rather, clearly, quite emphatically actually, there is a continued focus on economic streams of immigration.

While changes to the Citizenship Act are still promised, obviously many more changes at CIC will be at the policy and practice level, as reflected in operational guideliness, within the parameters of existing law (that is, no changes to the Act or even to regulations necessary), much like what we have seen happening over the last two years (but hopefully with much more success).

Citizenship plays a role in that, so is not going to be totally ignored. The path to citizenship is a key carrot in the scheme to attract permanent immigrants in the skilled labour class. It is also a carrot for investors, for entrepeneurs, to come to Canada.

So the grant citizenship process will not be totally overlooked in making "reforms." But most reforms are likely to be prospective, for future applicants, focus on the optics, on what will continue to attract skilled labour going forward, into the future; thus, improvements will not be focused on inventory (those of us who already have applications in processing) though hopefully some improvements will have at least an incidental, positive impact.

In other words: for those of us with grant citizenship applications pending: no reason to expect much improvement.

Reminder: CIC is more focused on granting citizenship than denying it

In the realm of grant citizenship application processing, CIC is largely focused on efficiently moving the majority (perhaps even a vast majority) through the process to the actual grant of citizenship.

Sure, some here do not buy this proposition. They are wrong. There are many problems with the system and the process. Many of the problems with the process are mired in CIC's efforts to screen some applicants into more thoroughly scrutinized processing, which in conjunction with a wide range of other problems (from funding and staff shortfalls to the problems directly derived from a vague and confusing residency requirement the jurisprudence regarding which is plagued with conflicts and contradictions, but also recognizing that a steady stream of thousands of unqualified applicants are part of the problem as well) has resulted in a system which has spiraled into a quagmire of delays and difficulties. But nonetheless, overall CIC's primary focus, relative to the citizenship grant process, is to facilitate the processing of well over a hundred thousand applicants a year to result in the taking of the oath.

This agenda is an important part of the Canadian government's overall immigration system objectives.

A person will get a very different sense of what is practically possible (as opposed to technically possible), let alone what is likely, if they fail to acknowledge this, and particularly if they perceive the government's intentions toward immigrants to be malevolent.

This is not to say that this government or CIC is friendly toward all immigrants, nor all PRs applying for citizenship. But the path to citizenship is an important element in the Canadian immigration system, and CIC's mandate requires balancing that with its mandate to block the exploitation and manipulation of the process, and in particular to preclude fraudulent exploitation and prohibit the immigration of persons posing criminal or security concerns.

I will not be holding my breath waiting for major reforms to the Act, and even if some changes are coming in 2014, I doubt the core principles will change much. The residency requirement is in dire need of changes. But even doing this bears great risk of unintended consequences, so as those of us who have followed this issue, and previously tabled legislation to modify the residency requirement, this is not something easily done.   

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
in_cdn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in_cdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 6:24pm
Thanks depenabill....SO....

Based on your comments could one say that, all things considered - and given how controversial and ambitious the whole undertaking of reform itself is to begin with- that the discussions and debates themselves (which are central to the elaborate failsafe legislative process comprising multiple readings in both the Commons and Senate) will take up quite a good chunk of time (and rightly so when a complex document with ramifications in the future is being debated) before one can even begin to envisage Assent at a much later stage in the game.

Also, isn't something as big as this going to be open to a mandatory period of extensive public consultation ? Failing which one could well see irate PRs and their reps giving Parl. an earful
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 37>
  Share Topic