Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marriage after getting the CSQ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marriage after getting the CSQ
    Posted: 15 May 2012 at 6:38pm

Hi !

I'm a Canadian Citizen currently living in México with my boyfriend. He got his interview with Québec Immigration in México and he was accepted. So now he have his CSQ in hands. He must now start the process with Canada for the permanent resident status. 

When he filled up the application for Quebec and at the time of his interview, he was single. But we plan to get married here in México before the end of the year.

My question is.. Should he wait to be married to start the Canadian procedures since his marital status will change in a couples of months ? Or can he start the process anyway as a single man, but once we get married, tell to Canada Immigration that his status changed ? 

Since I'm a Canadian citizen, I assume there won't be any problems for his case, but marrying in the middle of his process could most certainly cause some delays. Am I right ? And I'd really like to get married here... I personally think it could be better if we marry before starting the process with Canada. But I can be wrong ! Any advices ?!! 

Thanks in advance.

hobbes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobbes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:48am
This is similar to another recent question on this forum. I would strongly recommend that you defer marriage until your boyfriend gets his PR. The reason is, if you get married, you will have to report it to quebec immigration first. That itself will add delays. Secondly, his wife (you) is a canadian citizen who does not live in Quebec. That may raise eyebrows with the quebec immigration officers who could suspect that the applicant does not genuinely intend to live in quebec.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic