Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How can I get the travel record of US

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote march329 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can I get the travel record of US
    Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 12:07pm
How can I get the Record of my travel in and out of the United States? Just write a letter to request it?
sivan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by march329 march329 wrote:

How can I get the Record of my travel in and out of the United States? Just write a letter to request it?

Hi march329, 

1.  US CBP - Travel Records == Entry in to US Records.

Please refer to the post by "bigbh" in the thread "RQ discussion" [Page 222] for sample letter to request travel records from US CBP. 

Please make sure to include the perjury statement in the request letter [ I declare (certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. ] as mentioned in bigbh's post. Only with this perjury statement, the request is considered to be a "perfected request" as per US CBP. [Note: When I requested for my records in Apr 2011, I was not aware of this and my request was returned; I had to resubmit the request with the perjury statement]

Please submit the request via email with necessary identity documents. Email can be sent to : [email protected]

This request can be send via regular snail mail as well. I reckon "Fax" option is also available, but I have not tried that personally.  

Note: Official US CBP Web link for FOIA/PA: 

Looks like CBP - Q&A page on US travel records was updated recently (Jan 2012). It only talks about using form G-639. May be some of the members submitted the request using this form. As far as I read from past posts, most of us used written request instead of the form G-639.  You may want to confirm with FOIA office (202) 325-0150 - if it is OK to send written request and identity documents that are to be submitted with the request.

2.  CBSA Records - ICES Traveler History - Entry in to Canada Records:

Please refer to the post by "rrmaron" on 27 May2011 

This request can be submitted via FAX  @  613-957-6408 .

If you have traveled from Canada to USA via Road/Car, specifically ask for "ICES Traveller History - Highway Passage Report";  "ICES Traveller History - Traveller Passage Report" sometimes may not contain road trips.  

Thanks
sivan
Vancouver: Sent:Mar 24,2011|Received:Mar29|Ecas:Apr26|Letter:Apr18|In Process: Jan 25, 2012|Test:Mar 27, 2012|Oath: June 08, 2012
syno1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 9:08am
what happens if someone travels by road (car) or bus?

Don't they provide record of all the scanning for entry exit?
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 6:50pm

I am not sure, but my impression is that the U.S. CBP site says what it says (about not having complete records) because they want to make it clear that their records do not purport to be complete records of all entries into the U.S. The same caveat should be given for CBSA records.

(Remember, the U.S. records are not kept for the benefit of Canadian authorities; they are for the benefit of U.S. authorities . . . who require confirmation of exits or entries on some occasions, and for this, some but not all records are considered reliable sources.)

A number of people have reported, however, that the records they obtained were either complete or nearly complete, that is, including a lot if not all of their land crossings as well as those done via commercial air travel. How complete the land crossing records are probably varies, depending on a lot of factors (as I recall, one can get information about vehicles as well, which offer some evidence of a crossing even if it is not individual specific).

There is, though, no guarantee that such records are complete.

Thus, the bottom-line: such records are not relied upon to necessarily show all cross-border travel . . . they are relied upon to accurately show the entries they do show. So this is still valuable information for CIC.

Only each individual, for himself or herself, can maintain an accounting of travel that is sure to be a complete and accurate accounting of all travel. All PRs should be keeping precise records of all trips outside Canada. Do this and there is no chance of submitting a residency calculation that is inaccurate.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
SK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 10:06pm
I can assure you that US entry records are very very accurate......i mean even thier passport stamping is 100% on entry , unlike canada.....thier exit could be better (which for eastern hemsiphere countries is immaculate).....for Canada both are in shambles....i dont know why can CBSA just get it right ....atleast the entry records in to the country....esp when CIC is so hung up upon these records..
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 2:46am
For purposes of clarification, it is worth remembering that accuracy and completeness are not the same thing. I mean, less than complete records can be relied upon to be accurate (within margin of error), even if they do not reflect every trip across the border.

The U.S. CBP site gives notice that they do not claim their record of entries via land crossings is complete. Indeed,
Quote From the site linked above by sivan:
Quote U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) only has complete records of the entry and exit of persons arriving and departing by air or sea. If you are a legal permanent resident and crossed at a land border, it is unlikely that we would have a record of your travels.

(Other pages at the U.S. sites say similar things about there is no claim that records of land crossings are complete.)

I would expect their records to be accurate, very accurate, again at least within margins of error for such record gathering and keeping.

There are many reasons, though, why they are not necessarily complete . . . even though, yes, a number of reports by those who obtained their records report that their records were in fact complete even for land crossings, for them. (In contrast, I know mine would not be complete since there were occasions, up until about two years ago, that I did not even present ID when crossing the border; had to show ID even less often coming into Canada from the States up until about a year ago, but since then it has been simply standard every time.)

I believe that whether or not their records are complete may depend on the particular status the individual has and of course whether or not there was any evasion or deception employed in the crossing . . . since these things are always a possibility, such records cannot be relied upon to be for certain complete.

The thing is, indeed, there are so many ways to avoid or manipulate these things that neither the U.S. authorities nor the Canadian authorities are likely to accept these records as definitively complete. Accurate, yes, complete, no. For example, I know many places where a person can easily go back and forth across the Canadian/U.S. border, accidentally let alone intentionally, without reporting to border authorities. Yes, people do this (and many get caught, many do not get caught). Use of alternative travel documents with alternate name spelling appears to not just happen but to be common (looking for clues that a applicant for citizenship has been using alternative travel documents is one of the things it appears CIC is specifically trained to do).
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dynamite88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamite88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by sivan sivan wrote:

Originally posted by march329 march329 wrote:

Hi march329, 
1.  US CBP - Travel Records == Entry in to US Records.
Please refer to the post by "bigbh" in the thread "RQ discussion" [Page 222] for sample letter to request travel records from US CBP. 
Please make sure to include the perjury statement in the request letter [ I declare (certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. ] as mentioned in bigbh's post. Only with this perjury statement, the request is considered to be a "perfected request" as per US CBP. [Note: When I requested for my records in Apr 2011, I was not aware of this and my request was returned; I had to resubmit the request with the perjury statement]
Please submit the request via email with necessary identity documents. Email can be sent to : [email protected]
This request can be send via regular snail mail as well. I reckon "Fax" option is also available, but I have not tried that personally.  
Note: Official US CBP Web link for FOIA/PA: 
Looks like CBP - Q&A page on US travel records was updated recently (Jan 2012). It only talks about using form G-639. May be some of the members submitted the request using this form. As far as I read from past posts, most of us used written request instead of the form G-639.  You may want to confirm with FOIA office (202) 325-0150 - if it is OK to send written request and identity documents that are to be submitted with the request.
2.  CBSA Records - ICES Traveler History - Entry in to Canada Records:
Please refer to the post by "rrmaron" on 27 May2011 
This request can be submitted via FAX  @  613-957-6408 .
If you have traveled from Canada to USA via Road/Car, specifically ask for "ICES Traveller History - Highway Passage Report";  "ICES Traveller History - Traveller Passage Report" sometimes may not contain road trips.  
Thanks
sivan

How long did it take for such requests?
edmonton2011 View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmonton2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 7:05pm
We requested them on February 29th. We have received the report from CBSA today (less than 4 weeks) and we are still waiting for the report from US CBP. That one usually takes a little longer.
Timeline spreadsheet

Rec'd: Sep 01, '11
In proc: Jan 24, '12
Test: Apr 25, '13
Oath: Jul 1, '13
dynamite88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamite88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 9:56pm
Hmmm. Thanks. It seems like it will take some time to gather this information. I am getting a bit paranoid while reading the posts in this forum. But I guess it's good to be well prepared than not. I need to look into this. But how essential is this if we can find all the stamps in our passports?
edmonton2011 View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmonton2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 10:18pm
Most of the time you do not need it. The main reason we requested them is, because we made a mistake in the residence calculator. We did send them a corrected calculation as soon as we noticed it. But we want to be prepared for the interview if the agent questions us about our travel history. 
Timeline spreadsheet

Rec'd: Sep 01, '11
In proc: Jan 24, '12
Test: Apr 25, '13
Oath: Jul 1, '13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic