Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need some suggestions from experts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saikatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need some suggestions from experts
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 1:19am
@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }a:link, span.MsoHyperlink { color: blue; text-decoration: underline; }a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { color: purple; text-decoration: underline; }p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt 36pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }p.MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst, li.MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst, div.MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt 36pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }p.MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle, li.MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle, div.MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt 36pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }p.MsoListParagraphCxSpLast, li.MsoListParagraphCxSpLast, div.MsoListParagraphCxSpLast { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt 36pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }.MsoChpDefault { font-family: Cambria; }div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; }ol { margin-bottom: 0cm; }ul { margin-bottom: 0cm; }

Dear all,

I have bunch of questions and queries which I would like to clarify before taking any steps. I would really appreciate if you spend some of your valuable time to answer them.

Background:

I am 28 years old from Bangladesh. I got married on October 14, 2011. My wife is a Canadian PR who got her residence permit through her dad in 2009 (Her dad and mom are landed immigrant doctors in Canada). She is 18 and was studying at grade 12 in one of the schools in Toronto. She came to Bangladesh in June 2011, got married to me in October and living with us till now. But she wants to go back in 2012 and start her studies in Toronto again.  We have done some research about spousal visa in Canada and found out that it would take about 22 months to get it if we apply outbound from Dhaka ( via Singapore Visa Office). (Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp)

Questions:

Since 22 months is a huge time for a newly wedded couple to live apart, we were thinking of alternative ways to make the process faster.  My questions are:

1)   Can I go to Germany on a student visa and apply from there? As it takes 9 months to process spousal visa from Germany?

2)   My wife is 18 and studies at high school, she does not have any income, will that create problem for us to get my spousal visa?

3)   Outbound application mentioned that, the sponsor’s processing time is 63 days and spouse’s processing time is 22 months. Does that mean after 63 days my wife can come back to Bangladesh?

4)   If somehow I get a work permit in Canada in come there with her, can we apply inbound and change my work visa to spousal PR?

I would be really glad and obliged if you could answer these questions elaborately. Thank you so much.

Saikat and Anika

Dhaka, Bangladesh

saikatz
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 9:44am

Going to Germany will not help you speed up the process.  You need to apply through the visa office of your country of citizenship.  So even if you were living in Germany, you'd have to send your application to India.  (but it goes to Canada first and then gets transferred to India).

If you can get a work permit in Canada, you can move to Canada on your work visa.  When here, your wife can sponsor you.  You don't 'change your work visa', you actually have both processes going at the same time.  Be diligent and do your homework -- there are things you will want to know about inland applications vs. outland.  (travel restrictions, etc.)

Congratulations on your marriage!  Best of luck to you both.

saikatz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saikatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 4:34am
Dear Harmonia,

Thank you very much for the post, could you please send me the cic.gc.ca link where it says that I cannot apply from any other country apart from my native land?

Thanks and regards
saikatz
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 6:30am
You can certainly apply through a different country. However you must have been admitted to that country for a minimum of one full year. If your German student visa has a duration of one year or more - you can apply through Germany.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 3:58pm
Sorry - Scylla is absolutely correct re: being able to apply from a country where you've legally been admitted to for a year:

Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 4:07pm

On further thinking -- As of today, Step 1 is 67 days (sponsorship approval), Step 2 is 9 months (Germany process).  Give or take some time for the file transfer to the visa office, you're looking at almost a year via Germany... plus the time it will take you to get a study permit over there (not sure how long that takes).  Add to that the fact that school costs money, as does your lodging etc.

You might want to investigate coming to Canada on a study permit, and applying inland once you get here (including an open work permit with the original application).  You'd be with your partner in Canada for the duration of the process.  Of course there are pros and cons to doing it this way -- all of which have to be evaluated very closely by you and your family before you decide.

BTW - there are no financial requirements to sponsor a spouse, other than the sponsor cannot have an undischarged bankruptcy, nor can the sponsor be on social assistance.
saikatz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saikatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 10:13pm
Thank you both Harmonia and Scylla. Yes we are checking on all the possible combination- which one suits us :) Thanks again.
saikatz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic