Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NAME CHANGE on a Citizenship Form - FNU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scorpiomailin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NAME CHANGE on a Citizenship Form - FNU
    Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 5:34pm
Hi there,

I have a problem here, On my country's passport,
Surname:BLANK
First Name:XXX YYY where YYY is my Surname. 

When I got my landing papers, they had
Surname: XXX YYY
First name BLANK
(their explanation was that you cannot have Surname Blank).
Then when i got my PR CARD it was

Surname: XXX YYY
Firstname: XXX

which means my full name is XXX XXX YYY which is wrong.

I have always used my name as
First name: XXX Surname: YYY
 in all my documents in my home country and here, so when i am filling my citizenship form its asking me to provide supporting documentation for old and new name. just wondering if anyone had this problem and what documents did they provide?

Scorps
jvan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 6:20pm

I had a different issue with my name, but perhaps my experience can help you. I have a rather long legal name and on my PR card my middle names were cut short. The letter that came with my PR card explained that the CIC database has a fixed length for names.

When I applied for citizenship I included a copy of my birth certificate and current passport. Both of these documents show my full legal name. On the application form I requested a name change from shortened name to full legal name and included a letter with my application explaining that my name as it appears on my PR card and IM5292 is not my full legal name but was shortened due to limitations in the CIC database.

This seems to have worked for me. Once my application moved from received to in process on ecas my name on ecas changed from the shortened version to my full legal name.

I realize this is not the same as your problem. But I would advise you to ask for a name change on the application form, from F:XXX L:XXX YYY to F:XXX L:YYY. Include a letter explaining your situation and provide copies of any official document that you can get your hands on that supports your case. A copy of your birth certificate is really useful, since it shows your full legal name at birth. Also include copies of any Canadian document/id that supports your case. Include copies of your provincial health card, driver’s license and SIN card if applicable.

Sent: 26-Oct-2010 | E-Cas Status: 28-Jan-2011 | In Process: 22-Aug-2011 | Transferred: 19-Sep-2011 | Test: 24-Nov-2011 | Oath: 20-Jan-2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic