Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rescheduling oath?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pzb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rescheduling oath?
    Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 11:32am
My wife just got her notice to appear to take the oath of citizenship.  However we are in the process of moving to Seattle, due to a job change for me.  The date is after we move.  

Does anyone have experience asking CIC to reschedule not only the oath date but also the location? (it would be much easier if she could do the oath in Vancouver or Victoria, BC).
Duxan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duxan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 6:02pm
If I am not mistaken, you have to explain to the citizenship judge why you can't make it to the test. Needless to say, this can't be good. I would just "fall ill" for a couple of days and go to the ceremony.

Edited by Duxan - 17 Oct 2011 at 6:02pm
rc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 7:01pm
I agree with Duxan.  Rescheduling the oath is NOT a good idea at all in my opinion.  
canyoudigit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canyoudigit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 9:41pm
If you are like me, you had to study french for 4 months, wait 2 years and 6 months in your country to get the PR, work hard and honestly in canada for 5 years (3 years + vacation time outside the country + typical waiting time these days).

So after 8 years of walking this road, i think its worth do to the last step:  take one day off- vacation-unpaid to become a citizen of the first world!
jvan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 12:40pm
I must start by saying that I am no expert and can only give you advise based on my understanding of the citizenship application process.

When your wife signed her application for citizenship she signed an agreement that clearly states that she must inform CIC of any changes related to the application. Moving to an other country is a pretty big change! Legally she is obliged to inform CIC of this move. Not doing so could result in ramifications if CIC ever got wind of this fact. However doing the honest thing and informing CIC could also have adverse affects. Eventhough she has succesfully passed her test and obviously met her resident requirements, moving to an other country shows quite the opposite intentions expected form a prospect Canadian citizen.

If you decide not to inform CIC and simply have your wife attend the citizenship ceremony you could face another difficulty. During the oath your wife will have to surrender her PR card and will receive her Citizenship Certificate. The Citizenship Certificate however is NOT a travel document. She will have to apply for a passport immediately after her oath or apply for it from the US. She may run into trouble trying to apply for her first Canadian passport from abroad. I do not know this for a fact but if I worked for CIC/Passport Canada, someone applying for their first ever Canadian passport from abroad would seem worth investigating.

If at all possible perhaps your wife should remain in Canada until the oath, attend the oath, apply for a passport from within Canada and only join you in Seattle once she has her passport. Once a Canadian citizen with a passport, she is free to leave and enter the country at will.

Again, I'm no expert, I'm just trying to explain her predicament.

Edited by jvan - 18 Oct 2011 at 6:14pm
Sent: 26-Oct-2010 | E-Cas Status: 28-Jan-2011 | In Process: 22-Aug-2011 | Transferred: 19-Sep-2011 | Test: 24-Nov-2011 | Oath: 20-Jan-2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic