Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gay marriage relocation from USA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgoodwin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gay marriage relocation from USA
    Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 8:32pm

My partner is Canadian and a Registered nurse, He is currently waiting on a pending green card in the US. We have been together for 10 years and have decided that we want to relocate near his family. We have decided to marry in Canada and then come back to the US and apply for my residency. Can he sponsor me while living in the United States or would he have to be in Canada?

philly
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 9:30pm
Hi

Originally posted by pgoodwin75 pgoodwin75 wrote:

<FONT style=": #f8f8e0">My partner is Canadian and a Registered nurse, He is currently waiting on a pending green card in the US. We have been together for 10 years and have decided that we want to relocate near his family. We have decided to marry in Canada and then come back to the US and apply for my residency. Can he sponsor me while living in the United States or would he have to be in Canada?

Yes, Canadian citizens can sponsor spouses and dependent children while residing abroad. The package you/him require is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp Note that he will have to include a plan for his relocation to Canada, when you are issued a visa. Job/School/Accommodation plans.
PMM
pgoodwin75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgoodwin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 12:07am
I have a criminal past. When I was 21 in 1998 I had a relationship with someone 5 years younger than me. I was charged with 5 counts of a Statutory Sex offense. I lived in a small conservative town that wanted to set an example. I plead to lesser charges and accepted a conviction of Assault inflicting serious injury, and was not required to register as a sex offender. I am in no way a sex offender and still have a close friendship with this person today. However I am worried how the Canadian government would treat the issue.
philly
DC boi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC boi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 3:44am
I suggest you contact both the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) and CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) to inquire if a statutory conviction as you described above is grounds for not accepting your permanent residence application.

It seems that Section 36 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act cites situations in which a foreign national like yourself would be considered inadmissible into Canada, and Section 150 of the Criminal Code cites situations that could be considered "sexual offenses". See the attached legislation in these links:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-10.html#h-19
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-64.html#h-57

Canada is very strict about these sorts of convictions (per moral turpitude) but that does not mean there are no legal remedies that Immigration Canada may have for prospective residents like yourself. This is just my personal opinion, give them a call to see what's possible and best of luck!

zanelawson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zanelawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 7:22am
I think he must get his green card first before he can sponsor you.
pgoodwin75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgoodwin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 11:34am
I was not convicted of that crime... Those charges were dismissed and I accepted a plea for the lesser charges and convicted of misdemeanor charges instead. I was not convicted of any felony charges
philly
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 11:57am

Please continue this discussion in the the family class sponsorship conference (this is a link) since this is not about citizenship.

pgoodwin75:

I responded to this in the other thread in which you posed the same question. Please refrain from duplicate posting.

Whether or not the offense for which you were convicted is a misdemeanor or a felony is not the critical issue, but whether or not the similar offense in Canada may be prosecuted as an indictable offence or not. Odds are very high that it is, indeed, at the least an offense which may be prosecuted as either a summary offence or an indictable offence, and thus, for immigration purposes, is treated as an indictable offence. The conviction then made you inadmissible to Canada. The question then is how and when rehabilitated status may be obtained. This is the sort of question that it is really best to consult with an experienced Canadian immigration lawyer (not consultant, but a lawyer) about.

That said, as I said in the other thread, it is most likely that at a minimum you were inadmissible to Canada for at least five years following the date you were last under the jurisdiction of the justice system . . . probably the date your probation was finally completed. Again, that is the most likely minimum. It is possible that regardless of the time that has elapsed, you will not be deemed rehabilitated but must apply for rehabilitation status.

If consulting with a lawyer is not something you want to do, you can go ahead and make the application for rehabilitation yourself. See this page (this is a link) regarding "Rehabilitation for persons who are inadmissible to Canada because of past criminal activity.

In any event, again, please continue this discussion in the family class sponsorship conference since this is not about citizenship.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic