Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ottawa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ottawa
    Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 2:33pm
Hi,
Applied for citizenship (I was in Ottawa) on Oct 3, 2010.
Moved to Northern Ontario on July 20 - cic informed and new address showing on the cic website.
CIC transferred my file to OTTAWA office ON Sep 2, 2011!

WHY OTTAWA??? Shouldn't they have sent it to somewhere in Northern Ontario or Southeaster Manitoba?? There are plenty of citizenship offices closer to OTTAWA.
Any thoughts?
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 6:27pm
Hi

Originally posted by jojo2000 jojo2000 wrote:

Hi,
Applied for citizenship (I was in Ottawa) on Oct 3, 2010.
Moved to Northern Ontario on July 20 - cic informed and new address showing on the cic website.
CIC transferred my file to OTTAWA office ON Sep 2, 2011!

WHY OTTAWA??? Shouldn't they have sent it to somewhere in Northern Ontario or Southeaster Manitoba?? There are plenty of citizenship offices closer to OTTAWA.
Any thoughts?

There aren't any. Citizenship office in Winnipeg and nothing north of Ottawa in Ontario other than Sudbury.
PMM
jojo2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 11:10am
And where do I do the exam in that scenario? Do I have to fly to Ottawa or the process is there but the actual exam is not?
Thanks
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 1:41pm
Hi

Originally posted by jojo2000 jojo2000 wrote:

And where do I do the exam in that scenario? Do I have to fly to Ottawa or the process is there but the actual exam is not?
Thanks

They probably will have a traveling show, depending on the local population, eligible to write the exam. If it is small, it may only be once or twice a year. The same with the oath ceremony. You check to see if there are oaths in your area at http://www.cic.gc.ca/citcer/english/search_recherche_eng.aspx Will give you an idea how often they are held.

Edited by pmm - 11 Sep 2011 at 1:44pm
PMM
Alisaleh View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisaleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 1:09am
I had the smae case with my wife's application, she called CIC and noted the move and they transfer the file to the correct office. Test was delayed for month only.
jojo2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 11:57am
For completion, I called cic today. File will be transferred to Thunder Bay and I will be writing my citizenship exam there. It will take 8 weeks for the transfer to happen.. we're looking at Nov 2011 and then the time needed to do the test and so on... This whole process is annoying
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic