Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Earliest time to apply citizenship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Earliest time to apply citizenship
    Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 4:15pm
Kindly suggest me that when should be the earliest time that I can apply for citizenship.
I am in Toronto, Ontario.
Reached Toronto as skilled immigrant on Dec 2009
Started the job on Jan 2010
Some people said I cant apply till I hit 3 years in this country. Again some said I can apply around 2 and half year and when the time that I hit 3 years, my application was being processed.

Thanking you.

XPEH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XPEH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 4:47pm
Read this carefully:
If you've lived in Canada less than three years, you will run into trouble when applying and unless you can prove you have special circumstances, you'll likely be denied. 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 5:26pm
Yes, three years of being a "resident in Canada" is absolutely required before you apply.

Ditto XPEH but the "run into trouble" part deserves emphasis and clarification:

If you do not meet the residency requirement as of the day you submit the application, your application will be returned. Most indications are that if you do this, when you again apply you will have very high odds of being subjected to RQ (residency questionnaire) and your application will be delayed, and by that, that means delayed by months or even years. That's what running "into trouble" mostly means.

Technically meeting the residency requirement, and especially so for someone relying on the application of factors that will allow for the grant of citizenship despite some absences from Canada during the relevant time frame, is also a formula asking for RQ and some delay, perhaps a long delay.

Residency Requirement

From CIC web page:
Time lived in Canada
To become Canadian citizens, adults must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying. Children under the age of 18 do not need to meet this requirement.

You may be able to count time you spent in Canada before you became a permanent resident if that time falls within the four-year period.

Again, you must meet the Residency Requirement as of the day you submit the application. That is based entirely on the four years (1460 days not counting any February 29) immediately preceding the date you sign and submit the application. Time in Canada after that date does not count. Absences from Canada after that date may be examined and considered but not in terms of counting actual, physical days present in Canada during the relevant time frame, which, again, consists of the 1460 days immediately preceding the date you sign the application.

The only sure way to meet the residency requirement is, after establishing residency in Canada, is to be actually, physically present in Canada for more than 1095 days. This is worth repeating: being actually, physically present in Canada for more than 1095 days out of the 1460 days that count.

Practically speaking, do NOT apply until you have indeed lived in Canada for more than three years PLUS have been physically present in Canada for more than 1095 days (out of the immediately preceding four years).

You must accurately disclose the dates of all travel outside Canada in the application. If you have not been keeping a detailed log for your own records, begin compiling this information as best you can and from here on keep meticulous records. A complete and accurate travel disclosure is one of the more important elements in making the application.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
smile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 7:22am
Thank you very much for all your advice. Have a wonderful day !!

montrealia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montrealia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 8:15am
If you were present in Canada before you became a permanent resident (for example, with a work permit), you may be able to count those days towards meeting the residence requirement and thus be eligible to apply as early as 2 years after you became a permanent resident (this would depend on your travel as stated above).

The only sure way to know is to fill the residency questionary.
smile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 10:34am
I came here only on Dec 2009 as landed immigrant. I had never had a work permit in Canada. So, I have to wait till I complete 1095 days in this country. Of course, I have to subtract the days that I travel outside of Canada.

Thanks again for all your responses.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic