Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

US Tax by August 31 2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patience Tuesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US Tax by August 31 2011
    Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 1:15am
Found this on another forum.

http://www.financialpost.com/personal-finance/citizens+living+Canada+Time+come+clean/5178975/story.html

Yey.

I have already checked with the IRS website, and they say that the Tim doesn't ordinarily need to file, but now am wondering if we shouldn't just go ahead and give them the forms with $0.00 written in each box.  
We do not want any credits that the American government is offering "low income" Americans.  He has not been working the past two years, which is going to be troublesome when he DOES start interviewing for a job.  Honestly we just don't want to bother filling out a form which we do not have to. 

For others, here is the website for the delightful forms that the IRS urges you to deal with, should you be in the same predicament as us.  Either way, you have our heart in on this matter.

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html

Best Wishes,

H

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 2:49am
Actually this is an important story for some Americans I know living here, people who make a lot, lot more money than I do and who, for whatever reason, left their head stuck in the sand about the obligation to file U.S. tax returns even though they have been living abroad. I educated them, last year, and I think one has appropriately responded by getting his accountant involved and paying attention . . . another one I suspect has continued to be in denial. They have much more at stake than they might realize.

Thus, I really appreciate your bringing this to my attention and for sure I will be letting them know about the OVDI program the story discusses. Time is running out. This is a big deal.

Otherwise:

Canada makes it worthwhile to file their income tax returns no matter how little income one has, so the failure to file an income tax return for residents of Canada is in itself a red flag (as in what, why not).

Even for Canadian citizens, if they are not residents they do not need to file a Canadian return (unless they have Canadian source income).

Americans, though . . . well . . . the reach of the Empire is globally pervasive.

However, for very low income persons the U.S. is a different story: if a person does not have income above the respective thresholds (depending on the source of the income; those with self-employment income have a lower threshold pursuant to which they are obligated to file a return) there is no obligation to file a return and no real incentive to do so either. If one is not going to get a refund or rebate or is looking for credit for FICA payments or such, there really is no reason to file. In the course of many decades (marking another just this week), I have had a few, lets say, drought years, and did not file for those years, and while I did have my IRS problems earlier in life (problems indeed), not filing for years in which I had less income than the thresholds was not a problem.    
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 1:30pm
I agree. This is a very important story. My husband has been an American expat for decades and has (fortunately) filed his taxes religiously on an annual basis since he first started working. So moving to Canada wasn't a big deal from a US tax standpoint (he's just going to keep doing what he's always done). However I know there are those out there who have either chosen to ignore the rules or have no idea they should be filing - and some people are in for a very rude awakening.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic