Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Change of name on passport after marriage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change of name on passport after marriage
    Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:23pm
Hello,

I need some advices.

I have landed in Canada and got my PR last year (2010)

Meanwhile, I have returned back to my natal country and got married there last year (2010).

This year, I intend to fly back to Canada (June 2011) to settle and to sponsor my husband who is in Mauritius. I don't know how long it will take to process his documents. I sincerely hope that it won't take too long.

I would like to know if it is important to change my name (maiden to married) on my passport before arriving to Canada or could I do it later in Canada.
Will it cause a problem for sponsorship?

Please can someone tell me more on this issue. My passport will expire in 2014 so I would like to know if I need to change the name now to facilitate my husband's sponsorship.

Thanks for your help.

Awaiting your prompt reply,

Jenna

adab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 4:15pm

considering all other documents (police clearance, bank account details, property certificates, etc) you have to submit, are you prepared to have it all changed into your married name? i have mine hyphenated to include my maiden name and my husband's as it is culturally acceptable. and so far, i have had no difficulties experienced with my single name documents. later on, i have the option of changing my last name completely to my husband's last name.

NOV 18 10 - MEDICAL
DEC 06 10 - CPC-M
JAN 07 11 - DM: SPONSOR APPROVED
JAN 14 11 - CIC-AU
APR 05 11 - PC REQUEST
MAY 21 11 - PPR
JUN 08 11 - VISA, COPR
AUG 22 11 - LANDED
Jenna80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 12:02pm
yes, mostly all documents, I have changed to married name. Only my passport is still on maiden name.  That's why, I would like to know if when I arrive in Canada, is it compulsory that my name on passport changed also? Or have I the choice to still use the passport as it is now.
 Thanks

RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by adab adab wrote:

considering all other documents (police clearance, bank account details, property certificates, etc) you have to submit, are you prepared to have it all changed into your married name? i have mine hyphenated to include my maiden name and my husband's as it is culturally acceptable. and so far, i have had no difficulties experienced with my single name documents. later on, i have the option of changing my last name completely to my husband's last name.

Um, she's the sponsor so she does not have to submit all those other documents. 

It is important, I think, that your PR card and passport are in the same name when you come back to Canada, so that is an important factor . . . you'd have to get the passport changed, then do whatever is necessary to get a new PR card BEFORE you could travel back to Canada.  I don't know what's involved in that, or if they'd even mail the new PR card to you in your home country.  I think, because you have to give a Canadian address to them to have the PR card mailed to after your landing, that they don't send PR cards to overseas addresses.  So it might not even be possible to do that.

However, it is not an issue in sponsoring for you to NOT have the same name as your husband.  Wives are not required to take their husband's name to show that the relationship is "genuine", and you guys will be submitting a copy of your legal marriage certificate with his application to prove that the marriage is valid.  Changing your name on your passport is not going to add anything to that. 

I would wait until your passport is due to expire to change the name.  Dont know whats involved with getting the name changed when youre not in your home country - thats certainly something to look into so that you can coordinate the passport name change with the issuance of a new PR card - but, for now, no need to change the name just for the sake of the sponsorship application.

Edited by RobsLuv - 12 Apr 2011 at 12:51pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
adab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by <FONT size=1>RobsLuv</FONT> RobsLuv wrote:

Um, she's the sponsor so she does not have to submit all those other documents

my sponsor was not asked to provide a PC, you're right. but additional relationship proof was required and provided.

Originally posted by Jenna80 Jenna80 wrote:

Or have I the choice to still use the passport as it is now

i agree, you can wait just before passport expiration until you change into your married name and use your current passport for this application.
NOV 18 10 - MEDICAL
DEC 06 10 - CPC-M
JAN 07 11 - DM: SPONSOR APPROVED
JAN 14 11 - CIC-AU
APR 05 11 - PC REQUEST
MAY 21 11 - PPR
JUN 08 11 - VISA, COPR
AUG 22 11 - LANDED
Jenna80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 2:45pm
Thanks a lot ..:-)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic