Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Out of Status affecting physical presence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Out of Status affecting physical presence
    Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 2:22am
Does an out of status sitution for certain amount of days (prior to PR) imply that these days cannot be counted toward citizenship ?
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 8:27am
There is another thread where this is discussed in some depth. Cannot recall which one it is off the top of my head.

There are different opinions here as to this. Most, it appears, say "no."

I think otherwise, but would caution that just because it can be counted (actually I am fairly confident that the issue is whether one was living and present in Canada, not what one's status was, so long as the entry itself was unlawful) does not mean it is a good idea to submit the application based on a residence calculation relying on that time. It is possible that relying on such time may invoke a request for proof of being in Canada during that time and proof of the lawfulness of the entry, which request might very well be part of RQ ... that is, relying on such time may invite increased odds of RQ, even though it can be counted.

Again, I believe I am in the minority (perhaps a small minority) who think that being "out-of-status" does not preclude counting that time toward the citizenship residency requirement. Main example is probably the thousands of inland spousal sponsored PRs who were out-of-status while being processed via the inland route, oft times for well over a year, even two years, who in turn later apply for citizenship ... there is no hint in any of the research I have done that these individuals are precluded from counting their time prior to landing simply because they were out-of-status pending the outcome of their PR applications.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 12:31am
I thought the law says "count every day present in canada before PR as half a day", it does not specify anything about the status, is there anything am missing ?
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 12:32am
i.e you could have been a visitor, a student, a refugee or out of status, but physically present in canada !
kal_ottawa View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kal_ottawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 7:49am
Guy,
use CIC calculator to know the date when you can apply.

Edited by kal_ottawa - 10 Mar 2011 at 7:49am
|sent:dec14,2009|received:dec16|ecas:may21|letter:jun10|process:nov11|transfer:jan05|FP:feb01|test:mar15|oath:apr20,2011|
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 11:56am
Kal,
I already applied, the calculator does not ask you if were outside of status at all !
zkanky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zkanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 12:34pm
just chiming in with my two cents, I am sure the residency calculator does not distinguish what your status was, but that is an issue of legality, and this whole process I would assume that CIC assumes that one met all laws necessary of staying in the country. So if you were on work permit, study permit, etc, you were lega, but if you were out of status, i.e. your work permit expired, study permit expired, and you overstayed (dont quote me on this, but i believe it used to be that you had to leave the country or renew status within 90 days grace period) then that is an immigration offense. 

Now since you already got your immigration, they either didn't pay attention to it, or i am wrong in my assumption and they in fact don't care if you were out of status as long as you rectified it with applying for PR and now have it. in that case, since you were still physically present in the country, it would be logical to assume that you would say you were in the country at the time, since saying you were not in the country in order to be on the safe side would be a lie, and additionally there is no space to explain if you were out of status or what the circumstances were and thus the reason you are not counting days. OR you could basically wait out some extra time so you only start counting your days once you got your PR and were in compliance of immigration laws.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 11:33pm
Again, I do not think that being out-of-status precludes counting the time.

I do think that being obviously out-of-status sends the wrong sort of signal (especially to the more anal-retentive bureaucratic sorts), so even if not technically a problem, it could be one of those makes you smell not so good scenes.

One distinction worth emphasizing though: just being physically present in Canada is not the issue. It is still about "residency," just that one aspect of what is considered important toward showing residency is physical presence. In other words, it is time that one was living in Canada not just "present" in Canada that really counts. See the cases in the other thread I link to in a post above. This is not to say that one is not living in Canada just because they are in Canada on visitor status ... many people do live somewhere temporarily ... but status does not definitively dictate whether one is living somewhere or not.

I suspect that other aspects of the applicant's history and case will loom as much larger factors than merely some time out-of-status prior to landing as PR.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
AMCIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 9:57pm
In my case they just recently asked for proof of my being in canada at the dates I've provided. Only dates with status are counted towards the time in country.
Citizenship Study Videos Here http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2B741FED154535B4
AMCIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 9:58pm
In the beginning when I was getting my PR, I was sure to get a visa extension in case they wanted to count me as out of status.
Citizenship Study Videos Here http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2B741FED154535B4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic