Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Spending time abroad with a Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spending time abroad with a Canadian Citizenship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel!na Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spending time abroad with a Canadian Citizenship
    Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 11:12am
Hello everyone,

I have a question about spending time abroad with a Canadian citizenship and I hope you can help me.

My dad used to have a permanent resident for Canada, but recently changed it to a citizenship. Then he had a dual passport for two countries. But now the other one expired. Since the two countries don't have an agreement he can't renew his other passport. So now he's 'only' a Canadian Citizen.

When he was a permanent resident he could only spend a certain amount of days abroad with his wife who lives in a different country. How is this now that he is a Canadian citizen?

I hope I asked this question in the wright place. If not, please redirect me! :-)

Thanks in advance!

-Melina.

kal_ottawa View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kal_ottawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:16pm
it depends what do you mean by abroad? His home country? 
|sent:dec14,2009|received:dec16|ecas:may21|letter:jun10|process:nov11|transfer:jan05|FP:feb01|test:mar15|oath:apr20,2011|
Mel!na View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel!na Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:20pm
Abroad is in the Netherlands... His 'home' country is now Canada, only Canada, cause of his citizenship. And cause he's not able to renew his Dutch passport.

vbpatel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:23pm
most of the countries allow 6 months...
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kal_ottawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:29pm
it depends on the agreement between both countries.
|sent:dec14,2009|received:dec16|ecas:may21|letter:jun10|process:nov11|transfer:jan05|FP:feb01|test:mar15|oath:apr20,2011|
Mel!na View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel!na Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:31pm
thanks for the answers, does anyone know where I can find this agreement?
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kal_ottawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:36pm
90 days for netherlands
Mel!na View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel!na Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:43pm
mmh, maybe I said it wrong... I'll try and explain again.

through out the year he lives mostly in the Netherlands. Every two to tree months he goes to Canada for about about 10 days... So calculated that would be approx: 50 days in Canada the rest else where...

Is that allowed with a Canadian citizenship?

Bohlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 4:52pm
Hi Mel!na

Once someone is Canadian he is allowed to live elsewhere for an unlimited period of time without losing his Canadian citizenship. So yes even if he doesn't enter Canada for a long period of time (more than 10 years if you want) he will still be Canadian an able to renew his passport.

Originally posted by Mel!na Mel!na wrote:

mmh, maybe I said it wrong... I'll try and explain again.

through out the year he lives mostly in the Netherlands. Every two to tree months he goes to Canada for about about 10 days... So calculated that would be approx: 50 days in Canada the rest else where...

Is that allowed with a Canadian citizenship?

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 5:29pm
Side note going back to the first post about the expired passport which cannot be renewed:

It is rare that citizenship would be predicated on having a valid passport, lost upon expiration of the passport. For most nationalities the passport can be expired for decades and the person nonetheless remains a citizen. So it sounds odd that someone who was a citizen of two countries is somehow, suddenly, now a citizen of only one because the passport for the other expired.

On the other hand, some countries require or consider citizenship to be abandoned or revoked if someone becomes the citizen of another country (someone mentioned Germany in this context recently, though I do not know if that is correct). In these instances, it is the taking of an oath as a Canadian citizen that results in the loss of the other citizenship.

I do not know what the underlying situation is here, but it would be highly unusual for a person to lose citizenship of a country because the passport expired.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic