Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about TRV for spouse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm202bc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about TRV for spouse
    Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 9:09am
I am an American recently admitted to a Canadian university for my graduate studies.  Won't go to a school in Canada tho if I can't bring my wife, and I get the feeling she would be denied a TRV from some discussions I have seen.

Anyone know how common it is for student spouses to be denied a TRV, or the usual profile of applicants that are denied?

My wife is Chinese, doesn't own any large assets to tie her to the country, should have about $10,000 saved by the time she applies, mother and father and sibling still in China. Maybe her membership in the national communist party would be considered proof she won't stay illegally after my studies end?

TIA.

Calvados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:50am
I am not sure this is the right forum for your questions. I do not see how is that related to sponsorship and family class. 

Do you have a study permit, or are you in the process of application? Your wife should have been/be included into it, and that is how she gets visa for the duration of your study permit as a dependent.
rbenoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 1:18pm
What status does your wife have in the US?
Does she have a green card or is she still on some other kind of visa? K1 or B1 etc...
Depending on her current status in the US she may not need a visa at al to come to Canada as a visitor.
More info needed.
Cheers!!!
cm202bc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm202bc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 11:35am
I had not considered how the green card would affect it. We are still in China now, but she will have a green card by the time we want her to come over.

I see now that she would certainly be allowed to enter for up to 6 months, so the question becomes can she get the open work permit without a TRV from inside Canada after entering on the strength of the green card?

The CIC website implies this may be possible, stating separately that a foreign student spouse can get the permit and someone holding a TRV can, but it surely doesn't say it explicitly, and having worked in a government office in the US I know better than to assume.

Is that any help? Anyone know of a prior example of a US citizen or resident getting a work permit in this way?

Calvados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 11:49am
If your wife enters Canada based on her green card alone, she cannot work or study. Green card by itself does not give her any specific privileges in terms of obtaining work or study permit. Now, if she enters Canada as your spouse while you are on study permit - this is whole different story: she will get the right to apply for a work permit which is given pretty much automatically at the port of entry (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp).

Seriously, I cannot understand why you are not  mentioning your study permit application. That is the single most important thing here.
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 11:57am
If she has US green card she can work in US, doesn't have to be in Canada.
A bigger and better job market exists in US than Canada.
cm202bc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm202bc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:09pm
Calvados, my concern was that she would be denied entry to Canada on the basis that she cannot prove she would leave after my study period ended, I have seen other foreign students complain of this happening to them.

Thanks for the info about the green card not aiding.

I suppose it is back to getting the TRV, unless she can get hired for a position there from the US.
rbenoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:50pm
Your wife having a Green Card certainly does help.
At the very least it ensures she can visit you for up to 6 months and be exempt from requiring a visa to come to Canada even if she cant work.

Visitor Visa Exemptions

Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include:

persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;

As for getting a work permit, the post by Calvados has a link explaining how she can obtain a work permit.

Cheers!!!
cm202bc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm202bc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 9:36am
Thanks for the help.
ropy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 12:41am
if i were you, i would just come across the border from the us on a normal shopping day or holiday with some skis or snowboards-- and don't worry about anything else--and then just go about your business once you are in
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic