Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

travelling after citizenship oath ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterinex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: travelling after citizenship oath ?
    Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 7:41pm
I am planning to apply to Canadian passport after my citizenship oath.

Can I use my old country's passport for travelling ie check/in at airports ?
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 3:27am
Yes, but you need a Cdn passport to return to Canada.
If your country allows dual citizenship with Canada, you can use both passports for traveling
masterinex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterinex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 6:26pm
I am planning to visit the States for visiting family  , currently I am holding the German passport . Would it better to travel before the citizenship oath or after it ? 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 5:09pm
well,

- If you travel on German Passport, you visit the US and return as a PR (since you will have PR Card with you) so no issues really.

-If you travel after oath, you no longer possess PR Card (it has to be surrendered on oath day to CIC), so you will have your German passport, and the Citizenship Card, but its not a travel document. Better to obtain Cdn Passport before travel.

It also depends whether you're driving or flying. With driving through border, CBSA will let you in with the citizenship card. I'm not sure how airlines will deal with that.

Read this page carefully:
http://passport.gc.ca/planification/index.aspx?lang=eng
dontmindhelping View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontmindhelping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by masterinex masterinex wrote:

I am planning to apply to Canadian passport after my citizenship oath.

Can I use my old country's passport for travelling ie check/in at airports ?

On the day of your ceremony, your will receive your canadian citizenship card. You can travel on your German Passport, but upon returning to Canada, make sure to show your canadfian citizenship card at the boarder
stephen321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 9:20pm
dontmindhelping, do you mean we can use the citizenship card at the boarder as visa?
Bohlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 10:30pm
Hello,
You're OK traveling to USA or Canada with your German passport (of course not yet expired) since Germany is listed under the visa waiver program of both countries. That being said, Canadian authorities recommend traveling with a Canadian passport for its citizens to be able to better help and assist them abroad if needed. Upon flight registration in USA back to Canada you may be asked to show proof of residence in Canada (because of your round-trip ticket which ends in Canada) and for that Citizenship Card will do the trick, but occasionally it could translate into delay (making sure your citizenship card is authentic).

To make yourself at ease give CBSA a call:

From Canada

Service in English:
1-800-461-9999

Service in French:
1-800-959-2036

Outside Canada:

Service in English:
204-983-3500
506-636-5064

Service in French:
204-983-3700
506-636-5067

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 11:02pm
Hi Bohlen,

Do the airlines make a fuss about not having Cdn passport with foreign passport to board flight to Canada?
kitincanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitincanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 11:20pm
I think the airlines might question you but should not give you too much trouble. However, the immigration officer would surely question you as to why you don't have your canadian passport and you might have delays as stated by bohlen and canvis2006.

I know a few ppl who have travelled on thier british passports and returned to canada as a PR but it was by road. You best bet is to get a passport if you are traveling by air anytime from a week after you get your citizenship card.

kitincanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitincanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by stephen321 stephen321 wrote:

dontmindhelping, do you mean we can use the citizenship card at the boarder as visa?

Your citizenship card is proof of citizenship and they cannot deny you entry. In short, it is not a visa as there are no restrictions of any sort assigned to your citizenship card, since you are a citizen.

The only problem you'll have is if you've left the country when you were specifically asked or ordered not to do so by the proper authorities such as a court order etc.

Edited by kitincanuck - 04 Dec 2010 at 11:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic