Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grounds for being Inadmissible

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Domdomdid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grounds for being Inadmissible
    Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 1:16pm
I have a criminal record and i was wondering if it was grounds for me Being inadmissible
It is a shoplifting charge when i was 18 -20 almost 21 now-   it was for 70 dollars  and is not a Felony. This is really worrying me  Please give me as much info as possible. oh and has anyone  became a  pr/citizen with criminal background?   -has never been a problem crossing the border-

Edited by Domdomdid - 20 Oct 2010 at 1:31pm
matthewc View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 4:04pm
It's quite likely to cause problems. It's most likely never caused a problem crossing the border simply because they didn't know about it. You should probably get the advice of a qualified immigration lawyer.
e-CAS Tracker - Get notified when your e-CAS changes
freckles4256 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckles4256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 4:40pm
hi domdomdid yes it is very likely to cause problems like mattewc said. as im going though a tuff time now because i have been found inadmissibile because of a DUI. It is best to consult with a very good immigration lawyer before aplying so you no were you stand. Dont make the same mistake i did its not worth it. Find out 1st i hope this helps :)
PS canada is very hard to get into now they have tighten up on immigration BIG time
Domdomdid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Domdomdid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 5:29pm
Yea found out today im criminally inadmissible to Canada! we dont have money for a lawyer, and we have already been together 3 years long distance.....guess she is coming to america for now instead. the place she hates! im screwed. guess we wait 3 more years till my criminal record can be expunged   

Edited by Domdomdid - 20 Oct 2010 at 5:30pm
matthewc View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 6:18pm
Yeah, there really isn't much you can do until you can either get the record expunged in the USA, or alternatively qualify for rehabilitation (most likely 5 years after you completed any sentence):

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/rehabil.asp

e-CAS Tracker - Get notified when your e-CAS changes
Domdomdid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Domdomdid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 7:54pm
Ahaha. turns out i cant sponsor her either casue i have to be 125% over the poverty line witch is like 12 dollars an hour....min wage here is 7.25, im a high school drop out getting ready for collage. seems im fucked in every hole. unless we wait 3 years then take a year to get over there. so our relationship will be 6 years together...long distance ...with a visit here and there U__U justt shoot me

Edited by Domdomdid - 20 Oct 2010 at 7:55pm
smalfoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smalfoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 8:48pm
Would getting the record expunged even work? Wouldn't immigration / FBI background check still be able to see it? 
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 9:05pm
Domdomdid -

Do you know anyone who would be willing to act as a co-sponsor? If I'm not mistaken, you can overcome the fact you don't make enough money to sponsor her to the US by finding someone who is willing to co-sponsor with you to take you over the 125% threshold. At least I'm pretty sure this is possible... In addition to signing an agreement, I believe the co-sponsor needs to agree to certain conditions and also submit tax information to prove their level of income. Again, I think this is possible but please check with someone who knows more than I do in this area.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
freckles4256 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckles4256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 1:47am
yes dont give up were theres a will theres a way. even consult with an immigration consultant maybe to see what avenues you can take. just keep postive :)
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 3:52pm
There is a very excellent discussion forum on US immigration at visajourney.com   Check them out, I'm sure someone there can tell you.  

Edited by RobsLuv - 21 Oct 2010 at 3:52pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic