Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to do , Poll

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do , Poll
    Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 8:09pm
I am going to start a Poll on possible what to do!

Info:
Born Canadian Citizen
3 Kids Canadian Citizens ( Born in Mexico )
Living in Mexico now for about 10 years
My Wife is Mexican and it is her i am sponsoring ( family Class )
Every month things look like they are getting worse here for the crime and our kids are still small enough to make a huge change to Canada would not be a problem.

In your opinon what would be the less waiting time :

Start the paperwork from here now and then wait
OR
Have her apply for a Visitor visa to Canada and once in, apply for the Family Class from within???

Please send your ideas
Best regards.

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 2:54am
If you have fairly definite plans to return to Canada, apply sooner, apply from there. You will need to be convincing as to your plans to return to Canada, so they should include some specific details. Of course a job offer or home purchase or rental agreement would really help, but oft times (it appears) less is sufficient.

Be sure you have done the paperwork for your children relative to documentation of their Canadian citizenship.

Having lived together for that length of time, and with children, the process should be relatively easy so long as you read the instructions carefully and complete the application thoroughly, together with all required documentation.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
sami55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 11:14am
good luck with future plans

as depenabill has said you can sponsor from mexico

and further details are here
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900E2.asp

Canadian citizens not residing in Canada may sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner and/or dependent children who have no dependent children of their own. Canadians travelling abroad as tourists are not considered to be residing outside Canada.

Sponsors not residing in Canada must provide evidence that they reside exclusively outside Canada on the date of giving the undertaking and will reside in Canada at the time their sponsored spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner and/or children become permanent residents of Canada. Evidence that they will reside in Canada may include one or more of the following:
◦letter from an employer;
◦letter of acceptance to a Canadian educational institution;
◦proof of having rented/bought a dwelling in Canada;
◦reasonable plans for re-establishing in Canada or severing ties to the other country.

the other alternative (I am not saying its merits etc) is you come first.. settle then the rest of family can follow..

consider your option and work out whatever works best for you

get great happiness and share, as Patienttuesday so wisely says
MajidS View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajidS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 12:47pm
I may have not understood the CIC website properly on the difference but it looks like whether you apply from outside or within Canada, the time it takes to process her PR would still be the same .... I am not sure if this is a deciding factor for you .... Either way, her file would be sent to Mexico for the second stage of processing (her PR application that is) ..... So, bringing her on visitor (say if you did it tomorrow) would have her with in you in Canada for the 8 months it takes for her PR to be finanlized ....... Your call ....
rbenoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 1:13pm
Start applying from Mexico, now as Out of Canada application.
There is no guarantee your wife would qualify for a Visitor visa so there is no reason not to start the PR application immediately.

Good luck 
bobshynoswife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobshynoswife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 2:43pm
Does your wife work, or does she stay home with the children? If she stays home, I would try to get her a visitor's visa and apply inland. She will not be able to work during the application process, which is why I asked. She also will not have health care coverage, but you can get insurance, I believe. Depending on which province you live in, you may have a wait before your children have health care too, so I think it's better to get to Canada as soon as possible.

If you apply Outland, you will have the added burden of proving your plans to return to Canada. Some applicants have been refused because CIC does not believe they will return.

The downside to inland is that she cannot leave Canada while it's in process. The downside to outland is that once you have an application in progress it is virtually impossible to get a visitors visa, so she could not visit Canada.

I would start by attempting to get the visitor's visa, and then make your decision based on whether or not she gets it. Meanwhile, start looking at the evidence you will need to prove your relationship is genuine, plus police clearances from any country your wife has been in for 6+ months. (these must be less than 3 months old when you submit them) Everything takes awhile to get together, so get started now so that you have less delay.

Sponsored Nigerian Husband
Married April 22, 2010
App received CIC-M May 18, 2010
File Tranfered to Accra June 22, 2010
Interview: Aug 24, 2010
Visa issued: Aug 24, 2010
Landed: Sept 9, 2010
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 11:47am
I can understand why you'd want to take a poll before deciding.

What you really need to do is determine your priorities first.

Is there a pressing need to get out of Mexico ASAP?

Do your finances permit you file from within Canada (i.e. your wife can't work for a while, and you need to find a job).

Does your wife have travel requirements that could be limited/postponed if you apply from within Canada?

Is there an acceptable and affordable health insurance policy if you go inland?

What's the timing for your children's education switchover?  Meaning, sometimes is easier to make the big move right before a school year starts, as opposed to in the middle of one.

If you are really not pressed for time, and want to make the transition as smoothly as possible, I would suggest the following:

1. Take a scouting trip to Canada to see where you want to live, to investigate potential career options, housing options, etc.  Open a bank account while you are there, if you can. 
2. If at all possible, secure work ASAP (this doesn't mean start working in Canada, but if you can line up a job offer, that's excellent).
3. Apply from Mexico (outland)
4. While you're going through the process, you need to get your new home base prepared -- meaning schools, home, bank, work, etc...   This will keep you busy during the waiting period... :)

Plan to 'land' at the end of or shortly after the Mexican school year... (yes, I know, we can't pick the speed that CIC moves - but it's early enough that you'd stand a change of making it work out perfectly)
In Canada, school starts in September.  If you play your cards right, and the system works with you, you could end up moving your whole family here next summer, without any restrictions, interruptions, or major inconveniences to your lives.  Kids would start the school year 'fresh', wife could start applying for jobs.

Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
sami55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 10:23pm
hawkey
keep us updated
and let us know what you have understood to be the best option for you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic