Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question regarding Dependent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question regarding Dependent
    Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 12:19pm
My wife arrived in Canada in August as a permanent resident. My question concerns her daughter:

Her daughter, who is 19 years old and a student in China, was on the original application. I am assuming she is considered a dependent who was not accompanying my wife. But we did medicals for her along with my wife. (I'm not sure the point in the medicals since she was not accompanying.)

We now want to bring her to Canada. What is the procedure for this?

BTW, is there some place where the various family rules are explained more fully than the Canada Immigration website?
RMJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 1:00pm
You apply to sponsor her as a dependent child.  It's the same application forms that you used to sponsor your wife except your wife is now the sponsor and she ticks dependent child.  I'm assuming you sponsored your wife although I realize she may have immigrated as a skilled worker or through another stream.  I don't want to assume to much!  Already got rapped on the knuckles about that.

Anyway, which rules did you need explained?  The OP manuals used by the visa officers have pretty good explanations.  They are here:  http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/index.asp
Parts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 1:35pm

Thanks for the info RMJ. I'll pour over this tonight. Is the processing period just as long? (In my wife's case it was about 18 months.)

RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 3:58pm
Here are the timelines for a dependent child sponsorship.  Remember, a dependent child is defined as under 22 years of age and not married or in a common-law partnership.  If the "child" is married or c/l, there are other requirements that have to be met in order for them still to be eligible.  You can find the particulars in the first section of the IRPA Regulations where all the different terms are explained.

Edited by RobsLuv - 14 Sep 2010 at 3:59pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
Parts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 11:01am
Thanks RobsLuv. Those timelines are a lot better than spousal.
Here are the questions that are confusing me now:
1. Under what circumstances would one need a "co-signer"?
2. Can't I sponsor my wife's daughter myself? (The reason I ask is because my wife has just arrived, is still unemployed, and we want to get this application going.) Or should my wife be the sponsor with me as the co-signer?
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 2:03pm
Hi

Originally posted by Parts Parts wrote:

Thanks RobsLuv. Those timelines are a lot better than spousal.
Here are the questions that are confusing me now:

1. Under what circumstances would one need a "co-signer"?
2. Can't I sponsor my wife's daughter myself? (The reason I ask is because my wife has just arrived, is still unemployed, and we want to get this application going.) Or should my wife be the sponsor with me as the co-signer?

1. Yes you can be a Co-signer
2. You are not related to your step daughter, so your spouse has to sponsor, doesn't need to meet LICO, just can't be on welfare.
PMM
sami55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 1:02pm
I assume RMJ is right. and accurate
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 4:47pm
PMM is right.  Your wife has to sponsor because you are not related to her child - you were only able to sponsor the child as her "dependent" on the original application for her. 

Just like when you sponsored your wife, there are no minimum income requirements for dependent child sponsorships.
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
Parts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 8:17am
Thanks to everyone. This is fairly clear now... I think! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic