Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canadian Citizen married to PR Card Holder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caa123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canadian Citizen married to PR Card Holder
    Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 7:11pm
I need some help with our situation as we keep getting mixed responses.

I am a Canadian Citizen and my husband has PR in Canada (he obtained this status in 2006 when we were living in Canada).  About one year later we left Canada for work purposes and moved to the UK together.  We have been living in the UK for just over 3 years now and have had a child in that time (Our child is a dual citizen as she is British by birth and Canadian because I applied for Canadian Citizenship for her).  I have accepted a job back in Canada as it has always been our long term plan to reside in Canada and raise our children here, of course we will only come back if my huband can come and is able to work as well.

According to his PR card, his status does not expire until fall of 2011 but since we have been living abroad for just over 3 years - does he lose his status?  I cannot even think about going through another year of him not being allowed to work as we had to when awaiting his PR and it may mean we have to stay in the UK if this is the case  I have heard though that since we are living together and can prove that we have never been living apart since he received his PR, this can be overridden.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks.
GabGil View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabGil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 7:29pm
caa123,

yes the time spent abroad with a citizen is counted as in Canada to make up the 2 out of 5 years. You can check

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english//resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf (sec. 5.1)

or

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445EA.asp

Be prepared to prove it when you arrive at a Canadian POE. Also you will need to prove it again when he will apply to renew his PR card.

And FYI, the fact that the PR card expires does not mean that the PR status expires. PR card is not even mandatory unless you are traveling with a commercial carrier. PR status does not expire, it can be "revoked" or one can renounce it.

G.

Edited by GabGil - 11 Sep 2010 at 7:32pm
caa123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caa123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 7:32pm
Thanks GabGil.  This is a big weight off our minds.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic