Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ansevcal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help!!!
    Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 11:53am
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and really require some assistance.

I am a Canadian citizen and married an American man in 2009. We decided to start immigration papers for me to move to the states which was approved and I am officially a LPR of the USA. Once I became a LPR I decided that I didn't want to move there due to the economic condition, being away from my family and there whole medical insurance or lack of really scares me.

In any case we have decided to live here in Canada. I have taken a look at the process and was surprised at how much more complicated it is to the US process.

Here are my questions:
1. Is it faster to process papers from within Canada or out?
2. Is it possible to do the medical and send the results with the whole package or do we need to wait for some official go ahead. I have heard that it speeds up the process substantially if we mail them in at the same time.
3. Can my sister be a joint sponsor? I have just started a new career and my taxes from last year do not meet the requirement.
4. While me being a LPR of the US be an issue. I reside in Canada and work here.

I was going to hire a lawyer to process the application for me but I cannot believe how expensive it is!

Any other tips or ideas would be of great appreciation.

Thanks in advanceSmile

audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 12:17pm
1- Americans should ALWAYS go outland. The process is much much faster than going inland. Americans can be approved and the visa issued MONTHS before inland would even get first stage approval, with more to go after that. I was done in less than 4 months. :)

2- You are supposed to do the medical beforehand when applying outland. The DMP gives you back a form to put in with the application package
3- No, your sister cannot co-sponsor. HOWEVER, there is no requirement for spousal sponsorships. You do NOT need a minimum income to sponsor your husband, you just can't be on social assistance or bankrupt.
4- This won't be an issue as long as you prove that you're living and working in Canada.

You don't need a lawyer unless you have any complications(such as criminal issues) to deal with. Otherwise, the process is quite straight forward. Asking questions here will be enough to give you the help you need. A lawyer is an unnecessary expense for you guys.
Ansevcal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ansevcal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 12:40pm
Could you clarify what a DMP is?

We just decided to start these papers yesterday and for me not to move to the US so, I am VERY new to all of this.

audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 12:54pm
DMP is a designated medical practitioner who is authorized to do exams for Canadian immigration.

Sent you more info by PM(private message) in response to what you asked. :)
sami55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 10:23pm
the outland spousal is your better bet than the inland spousal
an option you may want to consider is ..it is possible that your spouse can be in canada ( as a visitors etc, but can work, )but you can still sponsor him under the outland category even though he is here..
there is a lot of difference between inland and outland and if given the choice the outland is nearly always the best bet..

you should contact the call centre and get them to send you the outland kit (it has everything in it, country specific)
it explains fully about the medical process...in appendix c (what to take with you, etc)..
only those doctors listed and approved by can imm can do the medical and the timing of that medical is quite crucial...it is advisable not do it too early either.... get all the other things ready first...
YOU DO NOT SEND ANY RESULTS..the results reside in the sysytem for the CAN IMM to get access ..all you do is to include the receipt (that the doctor gives you),,,in with your application package..it s a good idea to retain a photocopy of that incase you may need to make reference to it..

TIPS AND IDEAS..you are focusing too much on the medical.. that is the least bit of your concern...you have to organise your big file and it has to be complete, a lot of things ...

. make sure you have everything in your package.
look at the criteria. try to providse all the information to pass that..
your case sounds straight forward.
good luck
Ansevcal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ansevcal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 8:27pm
Thank you for your response.

Is it in your opinion that I should mention that we proceeded with US immigration and that I'm a US LPR but since receiving that status we have decided to live in Canada instead? I'm just wondering if they may find it odd that we have been married for nearly 2 years and haven't lived together yet.

Would you suggest that we both send in our phone records and combined travel itineraries?

I have downloaded the whole outland kit from the website and have already started the forms. My husband doesn't remember all the addresses and specific dates of places where he lived. I understand that there shouldn't be any time gaps however I'm unsure of what to do.

RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Ansevcal Ansevcal wrote:

I am a Canadian citizen and married an American man in 2009. We decided to start immigration papers for me to move to the states which was approved and I am officially a LPR of the USA. Once I became a LPR I decided that I didn't want to move there due to the economic condition, being away from my family and there whole medical insurance or lack of really scares me.

In any case we have decided to live here in Canada. I have taken a look at the process and was surprised at how much more complicated it is to the US process.
  Actually, once you get a grip on the paperwork, the Canadian process is FAR less complicated than the US one.  And the requirements, as far as income/assets, are a lot less restrictive.  Plus, where you have to reside in the States for 6 months of each year in order to maintain your green card, a Canadian PR sponsored by their spouse can live anywhere with that spouse and still maintain their PR status.  Even if they don't remain in the relationship, they only have to reside in Canada for two years of each five year period to maintain PR status.  So the Canadian system is actually quite generous.

Here are my questions:
1. Is it faster to process papers from within Canada or out?
As has been said, it's always faster to process outland - that doesn't mean that the foreign national has to remain outside Canada, though.  It only  means that the application is processed at the embassy in Buffalo, after it's passed the sponsor's assessment at the Case Processing Centre is Mississauga, ON - rather than being processed entirely within Canada.  There is no real advantage for US citizen applicants to process inland. 

2. Is it possible to do the medical and send the results with the whole package or do we need to wait for some official go ahead. I have heard that it speeds up the process substantially if we mail them in at the same time.
Spousal sponsorship applications actually require you to submit proof of having undergone medical examination with the application - also, FBI (and sometimes State) arrest records are also required to be submitted with the application.

3. Can my sister be a joint sponsor? I have just started a new career and my taxes from last year do not meet the requirement.
No, there are no co-sponsors for spousal/common-law applications - but you're exempt from meeting minimum income requirements when you're sponsoring a spouse or common-law partner.

4. While me being a LPR of the US be an issue. I reside in Canada and work here.
No, makes no difference.  And if you're a Canadian citizen, even if you were living in the States you'd only have to provide proof of your intent to return to Canada.  If you're already living in Canada, you're good to go.

I was going to hire a lawyer to process the application for me but I cannot believe how expensive it is!
No reason to hire a lawyer unless you have a very complicated case.  There is really no reason to hire a lawyer to type information into application forms that you can type into yourself online, and even if a lawyer is doing your application for you, you still have to compile all of the supporting documentation, go get the medical done, get the immigration photos done, etc.  IMHO immigration consultants/lawyers who prepare applications for straight-forward applicants are making an awful lot of money for being glorified typists.  If your spouse has "issues" - like a criminal record - then you need a lawyer. 

Is it in your opinion that I should mention that we proceeded with US immigration and that I'm a US LPR but since receiving that status we have decided to live in Canada instead? I'm just wondering if they may find it odd that we have been married for nearly 2 years and haven't lived together yet.
They don't care that you have legal permanent status in the States - and lots of spouses are not able to live together until the foreign national partner is granted permanent status in Canada.  Living together is not a requirement for spousal applicants.

Would you suggest that we both send in our phone records and combined travel itineraries?
Yes, you need to submit phone records, travel itineraries, etc., to show that yours is a genuine and continuing relationship and not one entered into just to secure status for your foreign national spouse to Canada.  Your marriage makes him eligible to apply for permanent status but it's not enough to convince them that your relationship is "genuine".  You need to document how your relationship developed, include photos of the history of your relationship, etc.

I have downloaded the whole outland kit from the website and have already started the forms. My husband doesn't remember all the addresses and specific dates of places where he lived. I understand that there shouldn't be any time gaps however I'm unsure of what to do.
That depends on how many gaps there are and the duration of them - for example, if he moved from one town to another back in 1999 but he can't remember exactly what month that was, it's no big deal.  Just be sure the time frames between the two addresses don't show a gap.  However, if he has huge gaps where he can't quite remember where he was or when, it might be a problem.  Remember, this is only from age 18, or during the past 10 years if he's less than 28 years of age - so sometimes it's easier to try to remember jobs held or schools he attended and when, and then fill in the gaps for addresses.  If he's really having trouble he should be able to get an address history by requesting his credit reports - by requesting from all 3 of the US reporting agencies he should be pretty well able to piece most of it together. 

Edited by RobsLuv - 06 Sep 2010 at 9:20pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic