Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Visit Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visitor visa turned down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visitor visa turned down
    Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 11:15pm

I invited my Filipina GF to visit me in Victoria BC for 3 weeks after I was there two times . Felt it was her turn to travel here

. She owns 3 propeties there , two houses and one lot .all non fraudulent titles has 460 000 pesos in the bank real money not made up .Traveled to Hong Kong and Macau 3 times and returned .Has a business and a pention of 16 000 a month Gave her an invition letter with $60 000 in bank as back up. Visa officer denied because I am not satisfied on documents provided that there is sufficient funds including income or assets to carry out your stated purpose in going to Canada or maintain yourself while in Canada and to effect your departure .
My question is what else does she need to visit here ? By filipino standards she is well off has more than enough to travel here are visa agents picking lame excuses out of the hat ? Why waste very hard earned money on fees when they have no intension of granting a visa . We are only two years apart in age as well so that is not an issue . Any suggestions would be appreciated Michael

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 12:21pm
You might notice recent story in CBC online about an individual from the Dominican Republic who met his Canadian wife while he was working in Afghanistan for the Canadian forces, she was deployed in Afghanistan at the same time. Following their wedding in the DR he applied for and was denied a visitor's visa.

That's the norm for someone from a country which is not visa exempt and who has a significant partner in Canada . . . apparently there is a presumption that the individual in such circumstances does not have the requisite intent of a visitor, as in a likelihood they will not leave Canada.

The underlying issue, of course, is whether a blanket policy should apply (which it appears one does) or whether cases should be evaluated on individual merit. There are strong reasons for and against either approach. No easy answers.

But, at the least, you and your gf should not take the decision personally . . . as it really is the norm . . . and thus the decision was not based on "picking lame excuses out of the hat." Not at all. It's policy. One may complain that it is an unfair policy, but that is nothing akin to lame excuses pulled from a hat. Policy is dictated by politicians. Canadian citizens elect those politicians. For now this is how it goes.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic