Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Will working in the US with Can PR cause problems?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will working in the US with Can PR cause problems?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will working in the US with Can PR cause problems?
    Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 1:42pm
Hello,
I got my PR status a month or two ago. Now all I have to do is enter Canada, yay! :)

I have a job here, in the US, and I wanted to know if working here for a few weeks/months out of the year would cause problems when I want to apply for my Canadian Citizenship. It'd be really nice to work a bit while I'm looking for a job in Canada.

Thanks!
theq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 3:24pm
Basic Idea is... You have to show that you live here. Your passport stamps are checked during your citizenship test. So if you can prove that you were in Canada by the stamps on your passport then its great, even if you work a few months of the year in the US.
For Wife's App
Sent to CPC-M: 6 Oct 2010
File Tx to CIC-I: 3 Nov 2010
pandemic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 4:18pm
I didn't realize my passport would be stamped when I entered and left Canada. That makes sense. I know you must live in Canada for a total of 3 years before you can apply for citizenship.

I think my Fiance and I were hoping to sneak out for a day or two at times because we're having our wedding in NY state. We were thinking my tax forms would show that I worked while I was meant to be in Canada. If I get stamped every time then it doesn't matter whether I work or not.

ecs View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 12:01am
Sorry but here is another case where another immigrant is exploiting the whole Canadian immigration system.

You are another addition to my list of people who I know just land and of course because of work in the US, have left and never ever returned. Even if one returns, its only been to mail the citinzenship applicatio after 3 years.
pandemic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 1:36am
I don't think I'm exploiting anything. I WILL be living in Canada for the full 3 years before I apply for citizenship. 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 1:48am
Quote I WILL be living in Canada for the full 3 years before I apply for citizenship.

That's about technicalities.

Citizenship is more than that. It is a commitment. It is a relationship.

But yeah, the technicalities rule.

I make no judgment about the OP, by the way. Just saying "eligibility" does not equal really being a citizen.

I am not a citizen yet. I very much look forward to the day I am. It will be about a lot more than mere technicalities.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic