Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OH NO! Marriage cert?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OH NO! Marriage cert?
    Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 5:35am
Ok, so we're about to send in our application for Spousal PR this week (or were!) but now I'm checking everything over and I WAS under the assumption that we just had to send in a COPY of our Marriage Certificate, but do we have to send the ORIGINAL???

Man am I all flustered. I don't know how to get a new one quick enough. Anyone have an answer? Wish the search function worked on this board. =(
kdmorales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdmorales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 7:48am
Hi Woosh,

Yes, you need to send an original copy, at least I did also. I made a copy for myself however sent in the original.
I have had no need for the marriage certificate and it was given back to us when he picked up his visa. Hope that makes you feel better in letting your certificate go. What country would you need to get another one from?
kdm
Married-Aug 17th~2009,Cuba
CIC-mailed March 8th~2010
CIC-mailed to Havana March 30th~2010
Havana-processing-April 14th~2010
Havana-Visa June 23rd~2010
Arrive in Canada-Aug 15th-2010
ColorMePanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColorMePanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:28am
I am fairly certain that it just needs to be a photocopy. Look at the checklist. It should say whether it can be a photocopy or not.

I will search for you though.
INLAND!
Total time for PR: 10 Months and 16 Days
jamaisomal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaisomal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:45am
You just need to send a copy. I applied so not sure if there is a difference for outland applications.
Application sent May 13, 2010
Started processing July 22, 2010.
Decision made March 7, 2011
Landed April 13th 2011
The whole process took exactly 11 months!
mr-canada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr-canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:51am
as per my understanding they only need the originals for PCC and medicals. rest all copies. if they want to see originals, they will ask for it. but with the application, only a photocopy (attested)

this is my understanding.....

launched View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote launched Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:12am
I also sent a photocopy without any problems. Good luck!
UKtoCAN View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKtoCAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:18am

It has be a copy.

I have this question though, Why is it that they need originals for the police report/certificate and originals for the medicals and not copies as well.

I am just curious.
Woosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:29am
Hmmm! Ok a couple different answers here.

Kdmorales: We were married here in Canada so it probably wouldn't take as long as if it were needed from another country. The only reason I am concerned about it is because we're sending this application out before I go renew my extension at the border (possibly--still don't know if I have to) and my marriage certificate is the *only* shred of evidence that got me my Visitor Visa without it. I am very frightened to not have it if I have to go there again.

ColorMePanda: Thank you! The way I'm reading it in the Appendix A section (Identity) it really sounds like it should be original. I believe I may have been confusing this with the photocopy of a marriage certificate that is required of my Sponsor if he has a co-signer who he is married to. This being said, now I don't know if I need to supply an original Birth Cert either. I am less worried about letting that go because I have my passport.

I am actually in the same boat as you in regards to your Fingerprints being sent back due to illegibility. I am doing what you planned to do in supplying copies of my correspondence with them about it and re-submitting the prints in the next week or so. Do you think that if it turns out to be the case that we must supply an original marriage certificate that they would accept a similar note promising the original? (Plan on ordering one today if we have to). I figure I'm already going to have to supply the FBI clearance later...

To Everyone Else: This is indeed an Outland application so I am not sure if its different. Has anyone received their PR by only submitting a copy of their Marriage Cert? And likewise with your own birth certificate?

I'm sorry for the boat-load of questions lately! I really, really REALLY want to get this sent out this week and by doing things quickly it feels like I'm also overlooking things.
Woosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:30am
Huh.. Another vote for Copy. Not sure about why they need originals on that stuff, UKtoCan, maybe there's a watermark or something? I'm keeping copies of those for our records regardless..
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:33am
They specify if they need the original. You can just send a copy. I sent an original just to be safe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic