Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oath with expired PR?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverlookback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oath with expired PR?
    Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 1:27pm

My PR will expire like 2 or 3 days before my oath.

I haven't applied for a new one (PR). Will i have any problems?
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 1:33pm

Don't worry, it won't be a problem. In fact it's a good thing you have not applied for a new card, because it would have just been an added expense on your part - and a waste, too.

You will need to surrender that PR card before you take the oath ceremony. 

Edited by Beaver - 16 Jun 2010 at 1:47pm
mrstaycation View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrstaycation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 2:22pm
Yes, as stated by Beaver you did well.

Originally posted by neverlookback neverlookback wrote:

My PR will expire like 2 or 3 days before my oath.

I haven't applied for a new one (PR). Will i have any problems?
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 4:26am
Ditto.

Note of clarification, though probably unnecessary:
"PR" does not expire. One's PR card, just like a citizen's passport, is valid for a specified period of time and thus will expire. The card expires. PR status remains until . . . one of the events which terminates PR is obtaining citizenship. Once you take the oath, you are no longer a PR but rather a citizen.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrstaycation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 10:49pm
dpenabill, always accurateThumbs Up.

Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Ditto.

Note of clarification, though probably unnecessary:
"PR" does not expire. One's PR card, just like a citizen's passport, is valid for a specified period of time and thus will expire. The card expires. PR status remains until . . . one of the events which terminates PR is obtaining citizenship. Once you take the oath, you are no longer a PR but rather a citizen.
iwannabecanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwannabecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 5:31pm
okay.. what about this?  could i take the citizenship test with an expired PR card?
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrstaycation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 7:38pm
You can live work and do what ever you want to do if your PR card is expired.
Except travel abroad for those who do not benefit of Canada's visa waiver program.

Originally posted by iwannabecanuck iwannabecanuck wrote:

okay.. what about this?  could i take the citizenship test with an expired PR card?
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 7:51pm
To answer iwannabecanuck's question directly: Yes, of course, you can take the test with an expired PR card. There is no problem.

CIC will just take your PR card - valid or expired - and exchange it for a citizenship certificate after the oath ceremony. That is why they want it when the time comes a PR will be granted citizenship. It is the property of the Government of Canada. They want to ensure that the PR card is properly destroyed, not to be used as a souvenir.

I sense there is widespread myth about expired PR cards. I could not have explained it better than dpenabill. 

Edited by Beaver - 23 Jun 2010 at 7:53pm
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrstaycation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 7:55pm
LOL Beaver ... Dpenabill posts are QA posts. Not a joke.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic