Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Provincial Nominee Program

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peimum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Provincial Nominee Program
    Posted: 23 May 2010 at 9:12pm
So, I just found this forum, and I am wondering if there is by chance anyone out there in the same boat as me.  I am Canadian, by birth.  I am also American.  When I met my husband, I was working in the USA.  He is from there.  After being married 2 years, I wanted to move back to Canada.  So we moved... but, he has been here on a work visa.  That visa recently expired, and he had to leave, even though he is married to a Canadian and has 3 children who are also Canadian.  He was granted a 3 week visitor visa, but that expires on the 30th of this month!  I wanted to sponsor him, but with just my income, I can't support our children without a little help from the system, therefore, I can't sponsor him!  I heard about the Provincial Nominee Program, and thought maybe we could go that route.  My dad plans to sponsor him, and I heard that it is actually a faster way to get immigration status.....  Has anyone done this? 

Also, in filling out the forms, my husband does not remember exact dates (months) of when he moved....  He has record of the years, will they consider the application incomplete if he leaves off the month?
If only it were easy.
britincanada View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 9:50pm
As I understood it if you receive Canada Child Tax Benefit and Universal Child Care Benefits you can still sponsor your spouse...its if you receive other social assistance with housing costs etc..
App received by CPC-M 1/06/10
Sponsorship approved 29/06/10
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
ELIGIBLE TO BECOME CITIZEN 4/11/2012
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 5:28am
Ditto re "assistance" . . . what type of assistance it is makes a difference. If you are on assistance precluding sponsorship, that is something you will have to sort out somehow, such as by him working in the States and providing support, all of you moving to the States for a time, or . . . there are probably various ways to go about this. But, right, so long as you are on social assistance that precludes sponsorship, yep, you are precluded from sponsoring him.

I am not sure how the provincial sponsorship programs work. If that is a prospective way to go, sure . . . being married to a Canadian is, of course, one more positive factor in the equation for that no doubt.

However, as for completing the background declaration forms: a person should do them as thoroughly and completely as possible. Sure, memories are not perfect. Sure, most of us fail to keep exact records. But the old "I don't recall" answer still evokes doubt if not skepticism. It hurts one's credibility. And for good reason actually, since work history and address history are the sort of things most people do remember or at least have sufficient records that will help them reconstruct their memories, perhaps not perfectly, but usually a lot better than just the years.

I had to reconstruct four decades of employment and address history. No, I did not do a perfect job of it. (Though I had recently done a background check on myself, for other purposes, and so had a printout of my addresses for the last 25 years. Cost about $50 as I recall.) But it is simply a good idea to put some time and effort into reconstructing the places and dates. I used google to help with locations (some of my older addresses I had to give general descriptions, as in "apartment in old house near such and such a park, in such and such a city"), I talked to family and friends, dug up old records, and so on. I may have been off by a month or two here and there. I did add some clarifying explanations for some of the more fuzzy information on a supplemental page, aiming toward full disclosure.

Whichever application one does, it is indeed work, it requires a substantial effort, and is not a mere weekend project.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
peimum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peimum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 1:17am
Thanks for your replies. I currently have assistance with daycare for our girls.  It is a subsidy program, so I am not sur eif that is considered social assistance or not... but a great deal of parents here do get it... it is pretty common from what I am told....... We are not given cash, they pay part of the cost directly to the daycare centre. 

My husband was able to track down records of all of his addresses except for 1 since he was 18.  One of them I went on Gooogle maps and we basically walked down the street until we found the appartment building.... the bowlng ally was a land mark he remembered, and it sure helped.  I think we can track down the last address through his sister as he lived with her at the time (right after he turned 18).  He is now 41, so that has been a while.
If only it were easy.
britincanada View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 9:52am
In regards to the Subsidy program I would call CIC 1-888-242‑2100 and check to see if you are allowed to receive it whilst sponsoring your spouse, I found this http://www.pei.literacy.ca/pubs/facts/fact1.htm unfortunately it looks like your subsidised daycare falls into social assistance...is there no way you can get round it to sponsor your Husband?

Good luck on finding the rest of the addresses Smile  
App received by CPC-M 1/06/10
Sponsorship approved 29/06/10
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
ELIGIBLE TO BECOME CITIZEN 4/11/2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic