Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need help ASAP!! please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need help ASAP!! please
    Posted: 11 May 2010 at 8:34pm
Ok. Ill explain my situation. I met my husband online 3 years ago. I wasnt aware of the documents I needed to go over the border to live with him so I was denied entry.. Understandable.. the officer said he would put in the report that I was an honest person. Which I am I have nothing to hide. I have never been in trouble and don't plan to start now. We just recently got married. Sooo.. 

I'm not sure where to start in this whole process.. I have been to Canada once.. I had to show proof of employment and my lease aggreement and they called and verified the info.. Which was no biggie..

Im in Minot ND now 4 hours away from hubby(it's better than 32 hours I was in GA) Where do I apply.. DO I need to go ahead and get the medical done and the clearances done. What is done in the medical? Does insurance cover it? Can anybody who has done this process please help me out. I am freaking and stressing out and I have no clue what I am doing. What needs to go where and when and what and UGH!! OR Where to start. I have the documents printed out! 

Another thing is.. I can't stand being away from him.. Is it possible to apply for a temporary visa then apply for the PR in Canada or is it a waste of time and money? Cause either way I will still need to get the medical and clearance right.. Or is it requested once the app goes through and they send a letter? that's where Im lost at everything. 

Thanks everyone ahead of time.  
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 11:14pm
You have to fill out the forms, which you said you printed.

Outside of that, you need your medical and clearances done.

Things to remember:
-Your FBI clearance needs to be dated within 3 months of applying, and takes about 13 weeks to get back from the FBI
-Your medical expires after 1 year

Insurance doesn't cover the medical. You'll have to pay cash, more than likely. And have to get it done by a DMP, which they have in both the US and Canada. You can shop around and get the one which has the lowest cost. I personally had to pay $330, but I've seen them as low as $174 on the forums. Shop around in your area and your husband's area.

I would set a date when you know you're going to send the application off. Then send everything off in time to get it back just before sending the app off so you don't have things expire on you. Like the medical.

You need proof of your relationship as well, like joint accounts, photos, proof of communication(chat logs, phone bills, etc). I'm sure you said that.

You also need a copy of your marriage certificate.

As far as staying with your husband while it processes, that would be a decision you two make based on your circumstances. You are allowed to stay with him even while applying outland. However, you would have to get into the country first. Then you can apply for visitor visa extensions to stay during processing and hope it gets approved. I don't know if that's something you can afford to do financially. The process IS expensive between doctors and application fees and heck, even postage and picture fees. Decide what fits your budget. I did stay in Canada with my husband during processing, but I also covered all of the immigration/medical fees so he just had to cover living expenses.

Let us know if you have any further questions

Edited by audball - 11 May 2010 at 11:21pm
Saya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 10:14am

It depends on what kind of insurance you have. Yes you will have to pay the money up front, but I was able to claim all the medical fees back (my bf is on my insurance policy). Another option to look at, and most likely will not pertain to your case but may to others, is claiming the fees on your Canadian tax return as a medical expense. I'm not sure if the states have something simliar but it worth taking a look into.

I would suggest looking at the CIC website and reading all the information thoroughly. Being only 4 hours from your hubby I would suggest an outland application as it is much quicker than applying Inland. If you still have question after looking over the CIC site, everyone here is more than happy to anwser them. Good Luck!

Meds - Apr 13/10
App rec'd CPC-M - Apr 21/10
Sponsor Aprvd - May 27/10
App In Process/Meds Rec'd - Jun 16/10
DM - July 27/10
PPR via Email - Aug 4/10
PP w/ VISA - Aug 24/10
CommonLaw - London
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 2:44pm
To be sure: see the following (paste url into address bar of your browser):

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
(primary CIC web page with info for an "application to sponsor a member of the family class," which includes a spousal sponsorship, with links to guides and forms)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.PDF
(main checklist of things that will need to be included in the application . . . good to work from while compiling documents and information, but also must be included with the app itself)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdf
(guide for the sponsor . . . note: this goes a lot, lot easier if the two of you approach this as a joint project, working on all forms and aspects together)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3999E.pdf
("the immigrant's guide," that is for you -- again, best if the two of your work on all this together)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3910e.pdf
(the "Country Specific Instructions" for an American . . . note that this includes an additional checklist specifically for documents that a sponsored American needs to include in the application; do not overlook the specifics here)

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic