Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsorship vs Citizenship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiki59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponsorship vs Citizenship
    Posted: 11 May 2010 at 4:31pm
Hi everyone.
I am new to the forum, but really hope your expertise and practice can help.
My friends are at loss, and so am I to be honest. Father is a Canadian citizen since 1999, mother is a citizen of Ukraine. They got married in 2007 in Ukraine. Their only child was born in December 2008. The father has been visiting Ukraine 3-4 times per year. They finally decided to apply for sponsorship. Here come the actual question.
Is it possible to apply to sponsor the child as a permanent resident to Canada together with his mother? Or only application for proof of Canadian citizenship for the child should be submitted?
As I understand the child will definitely get it, as he is eligible, but it takes much longer than usual sponsorship. So is there an option for a sponsor at all to choose either to sponsor the child or to apply for citizenship?
I will appreciate any input and/or personal experience.
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 5:39pm
It may or may not be quicker, it depends on individual cercumstances. However applying for citizenship for the child should not be overlooked. The prospect of not having to go through that once PR is issued could save time and money.

"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:00pm
Hi

Originally posted by redeagle redeagle wrote:

It may or may not be quicker, it depends on individual cercumstances. However applying for citizenship for the child should not be overlooked. The prospect of not having to go through that once PR is issued could save time and money.

The child is a Canadian citizen so s/he can't be sponsored. Apply for proof of citizenship (long time) but CIC/CHC will issue the child a facilitation visa (F-1) so that s/he could accompany the mother to Canada. The proof of citizenship would follow later. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp
PMM
kiki59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiki59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 11:50am
Thanks for your answers. Controversial as they may be, my friend still needs to understand if he CAN apply to sponsor his child or not. I guess this procedure is much easier than proof of citizenship application made to visa post abroad. Just wondering if there's anything in the law re: that.
pmm Thanks for the link.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 1:50pm
Hi

Originally posted by kiki59 kiki59 wrote:

Thanks for your answers. Controversial as they may be, my friend still needs to understand if he CAN apply to sponsor his child or not. I guess this procedure is much easier than proof of citizenship application made to visa post abroad. Just wondering if there's anything in the law re: that.
pmm Thanks for the link.

It is the same as before HE CAN"T SPONSOR THE CHILD as it is a Canadian citizen.
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic