Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meeting with a Citizenship Judge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manuniter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meeting with a Citizenship Judge
    Posted: 03 May 2010 at 2:00pm
Hi guys,

I've applied for my Canadian citizenship since March 2008 and I was told recently that I will be required to appear in front of a judge. The call center agent told me not to expect anything before fall 2011, i.e more than a year

Is that normal and do you think I can do anything to speed up the process?

Thanks,

MU
Suraya View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suraya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 2:02pm
I think contact with your Local MP or hire a lawyer might help , But again never know how CIC works its dam slow process 
Suraya
shaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 4:30pm
hi manuniter,

At what stage of processing is your application ? did you write the test ?
shaz
shaz
App Rec'd July 17/09; Started Processing Mar 18/10; Transferred to Calgary Apr 30/10;Test-waiting; Oath- waiting;
manuniter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manuniter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 6:20pm
I didn't write the test yet. I was sent a questionnaire and I filled it about a year & half ago.

Thx
Shan786 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shan786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 11:30pm
manuniter:
what do you think is the reason of that Questionaire (RQ)?
Thanks
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 4:46am
Once an application goes to RQ the timeline (by most reports) can vary greatly. As you are now personally aware, manuniter, the routine 12 to 16 month timeline no longer applies to a case like yours (whether or not RQ was fair to begin with).

That said, some reports indicate that even though there has been a RQ, in some instances that evokes only a minimal delay. Other reports illustrate much longer timelines. Reported cases are rife with examples of cases taking three years or so.

The question posed by Shan786, as to the "reason" for the RQ, alludes to an aspect of the process that seems obvious even though no CIC information directly says this: how long may depend on why they have questions. Or, said in another way, it may depend on how well the applicant has answered any doubts.

If your residential address was in any way "30 Elm Street in Mississauga," you likley have problems. I doubt that it was, but that address is illustrative. Apparently 127 applicants for citizenship used that same address (or a slight variation thereof), including both a Mr. Zamzam and a Mr. Raslan. Mr. Raslan's application for citizenship was filed in October 2006 but did not get heard on appeal until January 2010 (illustrating how long the process can take). He lost. Mr. Zamzam's application was "reluctantly" sent back to the Citizenship judge.

The underlying strength of one's case, plus the underlying credibility of the applicant seem (to me) to loom most large in how these things are resolved and how quickly that process goes.

In the meantime, I doubt there is much you can do to accelerate the process. If there is, indeed, an inordinate delay, I suppose contacting your local government representative is the best you can do in the near future . . . if things were to go beyond that, you need a lawyer.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
ahmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 5:26am
Originally posted by manuniter manuniter wrote:

Hi guys,

I've applied for my Canadian citizenship since March 2008 and I was told recently that I will be required to appear in front of a judge. The call center agent told me not to expect anything before fall 2011, i.e more than a year

Is that normal and do you think I can do anything to speed up the process?

Thanks,

MU

The best solution is as dpenabill suggested.
justified View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justified Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:15pm
in RQ cases, 80-85% ends up with an interviewing Judge.

where is your local office
received by CIC May 4,2009>process started May 7,2009>transferred June 11, 2009>test August 28, 2009>RQ req. August 31, 2009>RQ submitted Nov. 2, 2009>Oath date Jan. 21,2011.ST.Clair, Local Office
italian_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italian_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 4:09pm
Hi all...
I'm mostly in the same situation. I applied in 2008 for the citizenship and, as the form has arrived in Montreal, I received the RQ questionnaire. I answered after a week and now I'm waiting for the next step.
Please, does someone know which is the average time that I have to wait for the next step and which could be the next step  (interview ?, test ?)  ?

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on October 14, 2008.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called A Look at Canada on October 14, 2008 to XXXXX, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us. If we have sent the letter to the wrong address, please contact us.

We started processing your application on March 2, 2009.

Your file was transferred to the Montréal CIC office on April 8, 2009. The Montréal CIC office will contact you if additional information is required. The Montréal CIC office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

We sent you a letter on April 22, 2009 to XXXX, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us. If we have sent the letter to the wrong address, please contact us.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 4:50pm
I don't know.

But I am responding because, well, even if someone does know the "average time" until the next step, that would not be all that helpful or informative since (by most accounts, and as I already stated) once RQ is involved the timeline probably varies greatly depending on why there was RQ and on the strength of the information provided in response relative to all the facts and circumstances including information in the application, the residency calculation, and in CIC and CBSA records including travel records. In other words, how long it will take probably depends largely on the individual's particular case not so much on general processing times or average time.

For example, some reports suggest a delay of merely weeks while other reports indicate many cases that are delayed by months and into another year. You personally should have a better idea of how strong your case is, and based on that can anticipate (without guarantees) that may be toward the few months end or toward another year or so end.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic