Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leave Canada to US or stay here !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlad1434 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leave Canada to US or stay here !
    Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 1:36am
I am at a point now where I have to chose either to stay as a PR in Canada or go to the US as a new permanent resident which I will most probably end up losing my Canadian PR.

forget about health care. If you have lived in the US or have knowledge of things in the US and now you are living in Canada as a PR, which country would you prefer to stay in and why. I was in the US as a student and I just find the majority of the Americans a bunch of racist, arrogant, flag waving ignorants. I was sick of seeing bunch of red neck people waving huge ass flags outside of their homes, and hearing god bless our troops (thugs) every time.

I am not working yet in my field here in Canada, but I knew in advance it will be a hard journey here in Canada(had no choice), plus I did not look hard enough because I thought I will end up in the US but now I am having second thoughts. I am sure back in the US I will have a better chance of finding a professional job. what would you do if you where me? thanks for the help and advice.
tanushree.tiku View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanushree.tiku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 2:09am
if u prefer canada then maybe u cud look for a job in US. which wud post u in canada or look for an employer in canada which wud send u to US. This way u can still fulfill the residency requirement. Even if u go as a permanent resident to U.S why wud u lose ur PR status in Canada. U have ample time to fulfill the number of days in canada to retain ur PR. U cud move to U.S if u find a good professional job and then still be on the lookout for jobs in canada...
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 3:08am
It is an entirely personal choice, assuming you have such a choice (most do not).

Earning a living looms large in the decision-making for almost everyone; there is, though, a difference between earning a living versus simply being able to make more money. To me, beyond that threshold of making a living, the quality of life steps in loud and clear, and rules.

To me, the quality of life in Canada is far better than in the States. Not materialistically, of course, but in so many other categories there is, in my mind, little comparision.

I love Canada. I have only nightmares of returning to live in the States. I visit, since I have family there, including a daughter and a very little grand daughter, but, frankly, I am uncomfortable much of the time when there. I feel incredibly like a foreigner in my native country.

Thus, as long as I can get by, Canada is my choice, with much emphasis. And I could, indeed, most likely, make quite a bit, if not a lot more money in the States.

Personally, I can be a bit slow and have been known to not take a hint. Nearly a half century ago more than a few shouted at me "America: Love It or Leave It" (meaning, to them, simply leave) . . . and for nearly four decades I had this silly notion, "no, love it or change it." Like I said, I can be slow. The message finally sank in when George Bush the minor took office . . . and though it took awhile to sort things out in my life, I am indeed now "gone." I left it. Not going back, at least not much, not to live for sure, so long as I can help it.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Patience Tuesday View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patience Tuesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 4:43am

Having been born here in Canada, I'm afraid that I can't help you with choosing between another potential host country and your country of residence per se.

I can see a few things, though!

First, you have spent a tidy little sum (of money, of worry/concern, of time) to become a Permanent Resident here in Canada.  Should you go to the States to acquire your Green Card, you will be again giving up fees/heart pieces/time again.  Can you afford this over looking for work here?  Do you want to throw away this work for another?  Are you the type that can 'spring back' from a change?  Have you given this host country an honest chance?  I'm certain that you have, just giving you questions to ask yourself.  ^^

Second, brash patriotism is felt on both sides of the border.  My Partner has stated that never in his city (near Los Angeles) has he seen as much flag-waving and bull-headed patriotism as here in Ontario.  XD  A few of my friends and the Blaque side of my family have experienced racism.  It crosses all sorts of borders and will follow humanity as long as it's allowed to inhabit the heart.  Some things are just multinational.

Third:  If you feel that the United States itself has made you uncomfortable then this needs to be addressed.  Though logic, fact and evidence is good I would not rule out hunches or feelings.  If Good Ol' Uncle Sam feels 'creepy' to you then maybe you shouldn't sit in his lap. 

Fourth: It sucks not being able to work in the field of your choice.  You studied this because it spoke to you.  Instead of moving to the States to live, could you live here and commute there?  Could you possibly telecommute?  Is there a way to move cities or provinces to get where you need to go instead of just ditching what you have obtained and finding yourself in a place where you potentially don't want to go?

Just things to consider.  I bid you the best of luck in your future.
neverlookback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverlookback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 7:27am
I lived in the US 10 years before i came here, i was even making more money there. I gave up US PR.

I'd pick Canada any day of the week.
JBE View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Spammer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 8:41am
Originally posted by vlad1434 vlad1434 wrote:

I am at a point now where I have to chose either to stay as a PR in Canada or go to the US as a new permanent resident which I will most probably end up losing my Canadian PR.

forget about health care. If you have lived in the US or have knowledge of things in the US and now you are living in Canada as a PR, which country would you prefer to stay in and why. I was in the US as a student and I just find the majority of the Americans a bunch of racist, arrogant, flag waving ignorants. I was sick of seeing bunch of red neck people waving huge ass flags outside of their homes, and hearing god bless our troops (thugs) every time.

I am not working yet in my field here in Canada, but I knew in advance it will be a hard journey here in Canada(had no choice), plus I did not look hard enough because I thought I will end up in the US but now I am having second thoughts. I am sure back in the US I will have a better chance of finding a professional job. what would you do if you where me? thanks for the help and advice.

kadijah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kadijah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 11:59am
sincerly i will pick use to live there like move here which is the biggest mistake of my life
rcv july20,2009-procss march23,2010-transf may7,2010
fingerprint yes
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 12:15pm
Sorry, I don't understand the statement. I think the gist is on what you're saying you used to live in the US and you made a mistake on moving to Canada.

Originally posted by kadijah kadijah wrote:

sincerly i will pick use to live there like move here which is the biggest mistake of my life

It all depends on one's personal circumstances about which country is better than the other. It's up to us how to make ourselves content, compare apples with oranges, and count our blessings.

If it were the 1950's I'd pick the US any day... but then again, I would miss the Intenet so dearly. LOL

Edited by Beaver - 22 Apr 2010 at 12:15pm
kadijah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kadijah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 12:46pm
u right compare to my situation
rcv july20,2009-procss march23,2010-transf may7,2010
fingerprint yes
mrstaycation View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrstaycation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 3:29pm
You're right Beaver, it's a personal and subjective decision, as if I were black I wouldn't find it sweet to live the American dream in the 1950s "Sweet Alabama".
Actually it's more a question of how we excise judgment, and later when consequences show, how we come to terms with ourselves. Dualism is to avoid, so there's surely pros and cons to consider on each side of the border even if grass seems greener elsewhere.
In my case, healthcare access is a big concern, and criminality rate as well, so even for doubling my wage, I doubt moving there (winter can be harsh here, but going health bankrupt when someone earns 150 000 $ a year is unacceptable to me)

Originally posted by Beaver Beaver wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand the statement. I think the gist is on what you're saying you used to live in the US and you made a mistake on moving to Canada.

Originally posted by kadijah kadijah wrote:

It all depends on one's personal circumstances about which country is better than the other. It's up to us how to make ourselves content, compare apples with oranges, and count our blessings.

If it were the 1950's I'd pick the US any day... but then again, I would miss the Intenet so dearly. LOL

Edited by mrstaycation - 22 Apr 2010 at 10:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic