Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is an interview the kiss of death?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raycrawford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is an interview the kiss of death?
    Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 3:08pm
Hi I notice there are very few interviews conducted in Manila.

We presented what I thought was an air tight case. Every possible thing they asked for in the OP2 manual to prove genuine and on going relationship.

The package was well organized and complete.

We got a passport request and then

Two months later a letter asking for a signed history of her previous relationship.

We are applying as Commn Law partners.  We have been together 3 years but I have returned to Canada twice.  The previous 12 months prior to applying continuous.

We had one separation for three weeks while my partner went to another country to visit relatives.

Any ideas what this interview is for?  They have asked for nothing and have not asked her to bring anything?

Regards,

Raymond.
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 3:23pm
Was she previously married or in a common law relationship?
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 4:05pm
They will try to avoid interviews in most cases, but an interview request does not mean it is a bad thing.

They may want to know about the ending of her preivious relationship, or of course it could be something else that has come up, and its anyone guess as to what it is.

Unless there are issues which cause them to question the relationship, and as long as you have truthful and genuine answers to their question, I would hardly call it a kiss of death.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
raycrawford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raycrawford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 4:22pm
Thanks for your response.

She is married in the Philippines, separated for a long time. We provided, separation agreement signed by both parties.  Four notarized affidavits verifying her date of separation.

Me married once before, provided original copy of my divorce certificate.

Regards,

Raymond.
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 4:27pm
Ahh then the question is probably about the fact that she's married already.

Was one of the affadavits from her husband?

If not, it would help a lot if he would write something confirming that they're separated with no intent to reunite.

I doubt the issue is your previous marriage since they only asked for info about her last relationship. Plus you ave proof of divorce, which is more definitive than a separation. Though the IO knows that divorce isn't allowed in the Philippines, they may just want to be sure that the marriage is over with and she has completely moved on.

If she goes in and answers honestly, and brings any proof she can manage, the interview should just ease fears and not be a kiss of death for the PR app.
peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 7:49pm
audball is right. The interview is not a kiss of death, it just means that they have some questions or doubts and seeing her in person would help to get those answers. If there isn't already an affidavit from her hsuband, that would likely help her case. Go in as prepared as she can imagine and give whatever answers they will need to clarify things and help them approve the case.

Good luck!
Peachy
EnglishMuffin View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishMuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 1:48am
My partner had an interview with London, she is also like your partner married but separated (6 years now). The interview went well, but they asked her to provide a legally drawn separation agreement instead of the one previously provided which was not prepared by a solicitor. From the stance of the IOs it was, 'well, what is to stop you coming to Canada, then resuming relations with your husband and sponsoring him'?

Again, her interview went well, the IOs were fine with the fact that for some applicants divorce, whether culturally or otherwise, is simply not an option.

All docs submitted post interview, just waiting for the PPR now. Good luck to you guys.
raycrawford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raycrawford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 3:56pm
Thanks English Muffin for your response.  Our problem is that her husband is very uncooperative to say the least.  One of these guys that has no use for her but doesnt want her with anyone else. We were lucky to have an agreement with his signature on it.

He is an American and has no interest to go to Canada.  He can go there any time he wants to.
Anyway like everyone else we just have to sit and wait for some stranger to decide our lives.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Raymond.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic