Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Open Work Permit inland/outland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patience Tuesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open Work Permit inland/outland
    Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 9:56pm
Hello!
I'm looking for the url to print off the Open Work Permit request form to go with an Inland Application.  (My friend isn't interested in Outland, though I've told them it's better in their case to go this route.)

I'm still a little shaky on how Outland is supposed to get their Work Permit; after they get their letter stating that they're a PR, do they just go to the office where Canadians get their SINs and apply? 

Thank you again for your assistance!
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 10:25pm
Hi

Originally posted by Patience Tuesday Patience Tuesday wrote:

Hello!

I'm looking for the url to print off the Open Work Permit request form to go with an Inland Application.  (My friend isn't interested in Outland, though I've told them it's better in their case to go this route.)

<FONT style=": #f8f8e0"> 

<FONT style=": #f8f8e0">I'm still a little shaky on how Outland is supposed to get their Work Permit; after they get their letter stating that they're a PR, do they just go to the office where Canadians get their SINs and apply? 

<FONT style=": #f8f8e0">Thank you again for your assistance!

1. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp
2. It is include with the application and sponsorship to Vegreville and if the application is approved, with the approval letter a Work permit will be sent. They then take the WP to Service Canada and apply for a SIN.
2. Outlands don't get Open Work Permits, they have to apply with an LMO at either an office outside Canada or at a Border Point if they DON"T require a medical or TRV.

PMM
Patience Tuesday View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patience Tuesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 12:08am
I do deeply appreciate your speedy answer, pmm.

Will pass on the information, and again encourage my United Statian friend to go "Outland" for her own good.  She's still a little unsure why I wouldn't go Inland with our application. 
Fortunately she appears that she may be in either a NOC 0, A or B as a 'just in case it doesn't quite pan out' situation.  ^_^
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 1:24pm

I'm still a little shaky on how Outland is supposed to get their Work Permit; after they get their letter stating that they're a PR, do they just go to the office where Canadians get their SINs and apply? 
Thank you again for your assistance!
Once someone is a landed immigrant, they no longer need a work permit.  They simply take their landing papers to Service Canada and apply for the SIN.  That's the advantage to applying outland as opposed to inland.  Many outland applicants have their PR finalized in less time than it takes an inland applicant to get to first stage approval - which is when they are finally eligible to apply for an open work permit.  If an inland applicant has documented proof that they are in Canada with valid temporary status when they apply, they can include an application to change my status or Extend My Stay in Canada WITH the inland PR ap, check "initial work permit" on the application and include the $150 additional fee and they will automatically be issued an OWP when they are "approved in principle" - after the first stage of assessment is completed.  This is currently taking, for straight-forward applications, about 6 months.  IF the application is not straight-forward, or if the applicant does not include proof that they are in Canada legally, the application will be transferred to a local office for assessment before first stage approval and become subject to what is sometimes a timeline of up to 2 years.  During that time they will be stuck in Canada - unable to work and sometimes without healthcare (depending on the province), and unable to leave because if they do, they no longer meet the requirement for approval of "residing in Canada with sponsor/spouse".

Inland is for very specific situations - it's not a preference-type "option" for applying, and people who apply that way when they are not fully informed about the how the inland process works usually find themselves kicking themselves for having done it.

Will pass on the information, and again encourage my United Statian friend to go "Outland" for her own good.  She's still a little unsure why I wouldn't go Inland with our application. 
Fortunately she appears that she may be in either a NOC 0, A or B as a 'just in case it doesn't quite pan out' situation.  ^_^
Sounds like your friend isn't very well informed about what inland is about.  Not sure what you mean by "in either a NOC O,A or B"????

Edited by RobsLuv - 20 Mar 2010 at 1:28pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
matthewc View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 3:20pm
NOC is National Occupation Classification, which is relevant to skilled worker applications. Presumably the implication is that if the family class isn't possible for some reason, she could apply as a skilled worker. That usually takes substantially longer though.
e-CAS Tracker - Get notified when your e-CAS changes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic