Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsored Spouse Application IMM 5490

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponsored Spouse Application IMM 5490
    Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 11:04am
On Question numbers 4 and 5 it asks if your sponsor gave you any gifts and If you gave any gifts to your sponsor. Does this mean on our first meeting or through out our relationship?
App received by CPC-M 1/06/10
Sponsorship approved 29/06/10
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
ELIGIBLE TO BECOME CITIZEN 4/11/2012
SWEETG View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWEETG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 11:14am

I think it goes with "your first meeting"....

" People think it's holding on that makes you stronger, but sometimes it's letting go."
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 11:30am
Just the first meeting.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
khushif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khushif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 11:51am
britincanada, I actually included the list of all the gifts that my hubby gave me and i gave to him since our first meeting till we applied for the PR.
5/5/10-Appeal allowed
20/5/10-letter rcvd
21/5/10-file mvd UK
13/8/10-reprocessing of file
23 August - received AOR

ColorMePanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColorMePanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 12:46pm
I was thinking it meant throughout the relationship.
I was going to include pictures and receipts showing gifts we got each other.
I am also going to show pictures of gifts we have received from each other's family. Like from birthdays and christmas.
INLAND!
Total time for PR: 10 Months and 16 Days
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 12:51pm
My gut feel tells me that they are looking for any kind of evidence that might indicate your spouse is giving you an unusually generous gift in exchange for sponsorship.  That's just my gut feel though. 

SWEETG View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWEETG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 12:53pm
I really think that question is meant for the "first meeting" and yeah it does kind of look like they were trying to buy you out......
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 2:10pm
It is meant for the 1st meeting sweetg, its under that section, and Harmonia could be right too. See a new purse from harrods for a girlfriend would be normal coming through custons, of course a $20000 cash gift would be somewhat suspect.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
britincanada View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 4:23pm
redeagle: I got that feeling too, but didnt want to just say no and turn out to mean during the entire relationship, So its a trick question to see if your a mail order bride etc...? Or you bribed your sponsor? 
App received by CPC-M 1/06/10
Sponsorship approved 29/06/10
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
ELIGIBLE TO BECOME CITIZEN 4/11/2012
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 5:49pm
My impression: the question is about the first meeting.

Contrary views: I have seen many, many people report that they believe to the contrary, or that, to otherwise be "be safe" or "be thorough" they suggest reporting all gifts.

My observations: this is not on/off switch information. I believe it is "safe" to answer the way many of us interpret it, that is, whether there were gifts attendant the first meeting, and if so, what. Answer honestly of course. "No" is an acceptable answer (if it is honest of course). I don't think anyone is penalized in the least for interpreting it to mean "all" gifts and giving such a list, so that answer does not hurt either.

I believe they are looking for indications of arranged marriages, or of inducements to marry that might imply an arrangement entered into for the purpose of getting the FN into Canada (inducement to enter marriage of convenience), but (I believe) it is simply part of the overall collection of related information which they use to assess the story presented . . . if the couple is from a culture which traditionally involves the giving of gifts on a first meeting, but they don't, that is just one small piece of evidence in the entire puzzle the bureaucrat assessing the application is looking at.

No need to parse such questions too closely. Answer honestly and as you understand the question, then there should be no issues.

But again, "no" gifts for this item is neither unusual nor something that will raise red flags.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic