Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using an Immigration Agent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shepherd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using an Immigration Agent
    Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 6:58am
Hello,

I'm just about to enter into a contract with an Immigration agent to help I and my partner get a permanent visa in Canada.

I was wondering, since searching for these things on Google tent to give you a huge swath of results that aren't helpful,

How much do these things usually cost? Including fees it'll cost me near £6000, does that sound like too much? Is there anything I should watch out for or any hidden gotcha's?

Thanks for your help!

Graeme
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 11:58am
Be certain the immigration consultant is authorized by CIC.

Do not pay money to any immigration consultant or agent who is not officially authorized by Canadian authorities.

Do a lot of homework for yourself, including reading the information CIC publishes online, reviewing the process, and working your way through the application forms and guide (all made readily available, relatively easy to access at the CIC website). You may still elect to pay for assistance and representation, but the more you are acquainted with the process yourself, personally, the better your odds of success and importantly the better your odds are of avoiding being scammed.

Scams are very common. Be very wary. Absolutely do not make up any of the facts or otherwise misrepresent any information, even if an immigration expert says otherwise.

Keep copies of everything. Everything.

Never sign a document with blanks in it. Make sure to review all the information before signing (you are personally accountable for the truthfulness of everything sent to the Canadian authorities). And absolutely make sure to have a copy of everything sent to Canadian authorities.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic