Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Name change after marriage in citizenship applicat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Name change after marriage in citizenship applicat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rikeshpatel83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Name change after marriage in citizenship applicat
    Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 5:33pm
Hello,

we are applying for canadian citizenship and need to know about middle name change of my wife.

I am PR and sponsored my wife as a dependent on PR, through all the process, she is holding her father's middle name. But now we want to change her middle name as mine.

Do you know what is the process or what do i need to do to change her middle name before I apply for our citizenship?
gary35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 2:36pm
Name change depends on the provice you are in.  Just to your provice's vital statistics services site and it'll be all there.  You will have to return your marriage certificate and they will issue a new one.

However changing to your spouse's name doesn't constitute name change.  Here is link to BC's website

https://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/name/
andy2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 11:52am
Rikesh, 

You have to apply to the ontario government to make a legal name change.
http://www.ontario.ca/government/how-do-i-apply-legal-name-change

It took me about 5 months to get the name change certificate. I used that certificate to change the name in my old passport before I applied for my citizenship. 

Since the name was different in my new passport and in my landing papers, I wrote a separateappletter with my citizenship application attaching my legal name change certifcate and requesting for a name change to reflect in my citizenship application.

At Mississauga|Sent Oct 5 2012 | Recvd Oct 11 2012 |In Process Feb 7, 2013 |
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic