Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Urgent, going travel then rememberPR card is expir
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Urgent, going travel then rememberPR card is expir

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david0916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urgent, going travel then rememberPR card is expir
    Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 11:48pm
im going on a vocation tomorrow, then I realize I haven't receive my PR card. I checked my PR card status before and its 

1. Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on November 3, 2013. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.
I don't think I have received any mail asking me to pick it up. should I still go on the vocation since the card its approved, then ask someone to pick it up for me then mail it to me?

Thanks for all your help 
greeny View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 12:00am
Originally posted by david0916 david0916 wrote:

im going on a vocation tomorrow, then I realize I haven't receive my PR card. I checked my PR card status before and its 

1. Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on November 3, 2013. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.
I don't think I have received any mail asking me to pick it up. should I still go on the vocation since the card its approved, then ask someone to pick it up for me then mail it to me?

Thanks for all your help 
I have the same problem, I called CIC and asked what if I go without PR, 
they said you simply will not be boarded from the country of departure , advised to cancel the trip , and said now they need about 5 weeks to urgent processingOuch
landed: May, 2003

applied: Dec04,2009

test/RQ: Feb15,2011 st.clair
2nd RQ: Aug 2014
Total waiting time to oath: 60,5 months :)= 5 years and 14 days
oath- Dec , 2014
david0916 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david0916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 12:06am
but in my case they have ALREADY approved my application, I just haven't received the card. 
greeny View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 12:14am

but in my case they have ALREADY approved my application, I just haven't received the card. 
the same for me

you can leave the country, but on your way back you will not be able to check -in on board with expired document

oath- Dec , 2014
greeny View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 12:20am

Thanks for all your help 
what's the status on ecas right now?
here is  someone with approved status on Nov 06, got it by mail on Dec 19,
there are 2 ways - 1 - it is lost by post, 2- you are being scheduled to pick up in person - which is longer process

Edited by greeny - 08 Jan 2014 at 12:21am

oath- Dec , 2014
david0916 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david0916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 12:26am
Thank you so much Greeny, its so disappointing but i guess I would have to cancel the trip 
greeny View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 12:53am

Thank you so much Greeny, its so disappointing but i guess I would have to cancel the trip 
if you bought insurance it may save your trip moneyOuch
hopefully tomorrow morning your post man will be your fairySmile miracles do happenSmile

oath- Dec , 2014
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 2:31pm

• 1. Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on November 3, 2013. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.

No one here can reliably say what a person in your situation should do, in large part because there are way too many variables in play, but also because in general this is not an appropriate venue for obtaining personal advice.

Approval indicated in eCas does not guarantee delivery

The eCas message does not really guarantee you have a final decision approving the issuance of the PR card. It probably means that final approval is a formality, and the card will be mailed, but it does not absolutely mean this. Some PRs are sent a letter informing them to go to the local CIC office to pick up the card, and at that time there is a more or less perfunctory examination, to confirm identity at the least, perhaps a few additional, as they say quality assurance questions, and usually the PR card is then issued/delivered to the PR. But if the clerk ascertains some issue the clerk can make what is called a "counter-referral," not issue/deliver the card, and there could be additional processing. There is a significant risk of the latter only if there is some reason to question the admissiblity of the PR, mostly meaning some reason to question whether or not there has been compliance with the residency obligation. For a PR who has simply been living and working in Canada for most of the last four or so years, this is not much of a risk at all. For a PR who has been outside Canada more than in Canada in the last five years, sure, the risk is much higher even if they have met the minimum requirement.

Factors to consider regarding travel without PR card

A PR from a visa-exempt country (PR carrying a passport with visa-exempt status) and who has clearly been in compliance with the PR residency obligation (not cutting it close in other words), can ordinarily travel abroad and not worry much about returning to Canada. Of course there are things to consider, how long the PR is planning or likely to be abroad, how clearly in compliance with the PR residency obligation the PR is, among others.

A PR who is carrying a passport which does not confer visa-exempt status and who is abroad without having a PR card which is currently valid, must ordinarily obtain a PR travel document in order to board commercial transportation destined for Canada. That is, without a valid PR card and no PR travel document (to be obtained abroad at a Canadian embassy), such a PR will not even be allowed to board a plane headed for Canada. Recent reports indicate some significant inconvenience involved in obtaining a PR Travel Document while abroad; in particular, given timelines, planning to return based on obtaining a PR TD abroad is not a good idea for short trips.

If the PR is traveling to Canada from the U.S., and will be returning to Canada in a non-commercial vehicle (meaning mostly a private automobile), the PR can simply drive to the border and will be allowed to enter Canada even though the PR does not have a currently valid PR card in possession (there are, of course, the usual exceptions, such as for persons posing known security concerns), so long as the PR can positively establish identity (a requisite for entry anyway). Does not matter what passport the PR is carrying (should of course be a currently valid passport, just does not matter if it is from a visa-exempt country or not). PR may be questioned about compliance with the residency obligation but that can happen even if the PR is carrying a currently valid PR card.

In any event, however, even though we take international travel for granted these days, there are always a variety of factors which anyone should consider whenever making decisions about traveling abroad, so the wisdom of any particular trip is always a very personal decision.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic