Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Didn't receive letter acknowledging receipt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Didn't receive letter acknowledging receipt
    Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 2:05pm
We submitted our application and after repeatedly checking online spotted confirmation that the application was received on Sept. 17th and that the application was "in process" as of November 25th.

The initial confirmation online states that they sent a letter confirming receipt of the application on Sept. 17th, along with the Discover Canada book.

We already have copies of the book and don't care about this. Since I already know they are processing the application I don't really care about not receiving the confirmation letter either, except that I'm wondering whether this letter will ever need to be presented later, in which case I will call them up and try to arrange for them to send another copy. Can anyone comment on this?
Landed in Canada June 24, 2010
Citizen app rcvd Sept 17,2013
in process Nov. 25, 2013
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 2:27pm
You don't normally need a letter, it's just a notice. It has a case number, but usually you won't need it either (you can inquire for it through a call centre anyway).

I would verify if your home/mailing address on file is correct though.
talion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 2:49pm
that was the first thing I did. The address on file is the correct one.

If we're not going to need either the case number or the letter then I'm not going to bother with it. Thanks!
Landed in Canada June 24, 2010
Citizen app rcvd Sept 17,2013
in process Nov. 25, 2013
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 3:08pm

Originally posted by talion talion wrote:

We submitted our application and after repeatedly checking online spotted confirmation that the application was received on Sept. 17th and that the application was "in process" as of November 25th.

The initial confirmation online states that they sent a letter confirming receipt of the application on Sept. 17th, along with the Discover Canada book.

We already have copies of the book and don't care about this. Since I already know they are processing the application I don't really care about not receiving the confirmation letter either, except that I'm wondering whether this letter will ever need to be presented later, in which case I will call them up and try to arrange for them to send another copy. Can anyone comment on this?

CIC is still erroneously giving applicants the date the application was received as the date the letter confirming receipt was sent. Simply is not true. And, yes, this contributes to confusion and frustration.

Moreover, as of the date the application is actually put "in process," it appears that CIC does not physically mail the letter acknowledging receipt or the booklet for weeks beyond that.

Many report getting these in the mail approximately a month after the application's "in process" date. And that was my experience just a couple months ago, it was more than a month later that I finally received these things in the mail. And yes, this will lead someone who is not familiar with this CIC deception (not deliberate, but bureaucratic stupidity to blame I assume) to worry that somehow CIC does not have the address right.

Given the season, the mail during December is particularly slow in Canada, so it may be even a little longer for your letter to arrive.

And no, you do not need these things but it is always a good idea to keep a complete file of the process (including copies of everything the applicant has sent to CIC).

Please keep us posted, since you are not alone among applicants who naturally have questions when so early in the process things are delayed, CIC's information is already inaccurate, and it helps if as a collective group we have a clue about how CIC is in practice doing these things.

Must say: I find it to be very disconcerting that CIC is still reporting that they mailed a communication months earlier than they actually did.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Justice4B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice4B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

[quote=talion]

Must say: I find it to be very disconcerting that CIC is still reporting that they mailed a communication months earlier than they actually did.

Et tu, Brute? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic